Jester Azores Challenge

Gargleblaster

Visit site
For those interested who don't particiapte in the Jester Challenge Google Group, this years Jester Azores Challenge has been postponed until 2021, when at this stage it will be run in conjunction with the Jester Baltimore Challenge. At this stage it is proposed that it will be possible to participate in either one or both challengers. Shoule be quite exciting.

PhillM

Visit site
Now that is interesting. I failed to make the start line last time. Lots of lessons learned about trying to do too much with the refit and passage plan at the same time. Shortage of experence and skills too, I suspect were factors. Paean is now sorted for such passages, I have worked on increasing my skills, so I shall look forward to getting involved.

how do I get onto the google group?

rakaaw

Visit site
Now that is interesting. I failed to make the start line last time. Lots of lessons learned about trying to do too much with the refit and passage plan at the same time. Shortage of experence and skills too, I suspect were factors. Paean is now sorted for such passages, I have worked on increasing my skills, so I shall look forward to getting involved.

how do I get onto the google group?
John Apps is the group administrator. He is a member of this forum although,come to think of it I have not seen any posts from him for some time. Will pm you his email address.

PhillM

Visit site
Thank you for your pm. He also pm-ed me, so I think he is still around hereabouts. Look forward to meeting you both and re-acquainting with ziodberg of this parish next year.

zoidberg

Visit site
The Jester Challenge is specifically intended for boats between 20' and 30'.

This is understood to be a reaction ( an 'up yours' in non-parliamentary language ) to the Royal Western and RORC excluding boats under 30' from participation in the Fastnet Race and the Single-Handed Transatlantic Race, for the reported reason that smaller boats under that size were considered insufficiently capable of 'ocean passages in heavy weather'..... and there were persistent rumours that sponsors' prejudices were influential.

It is worth noting that Blondie Haslar's 'Jester', which participated in the first Observer S/H 'STAR' in 1960, was a 25-foot converted Folkboat. All 5 competitors finished, and 4 out of the 5 were well under 30 feet, giving the lie to the 'unseaworthy' suggestion.

The Jester Challenges are intended inter alia to reflect the principles of good seamanship and personal responsibility in small boats, as espoused by Major 'Blondie'.

Some remarkable passages have been completed by skippers in truly small boats, including Bill Churchouse in 'Belgean' and Rory McDougall in 'Cookie' ( or 'Cooking Fat' ! )

A search on Youtube will show plenty to intrigue.....

Gargleblaster

Visit site
An Invicta Mk1, built in Tonbridge in 1966. If you are still at Gillingham Marina walk east from The Strand until you come to the MCC Anchorage and it is the second on the right just inside the fence before the gate. I have just painted it bright yellow and left the masking tape on as I was due back but caught by the lockdown.

Sandy

Visit site
You certainly can but be ready for all sorts of snide comments about being overlength. But always made in good humour.
Thanks for the update, As I am in Plymouth I suspect there is nothing stopping me heading out an hour after the main fleet has left the breakwater and amble along in the general direction that they are going.

Sandy

Visit site
The Jester Challenge is specifically intended for boats between 20' and 30'.

This is understood to be a reaction ( an 'up yours' in non-parliamentary language ) to the Royal Western and RORC excluding boats under 30' from participation in the Fastnet Race and the Single-Handed Transatlantic Race, for the reported reason that smaller boats under that size were considered insufficiently capable of 'ocean passages in heavy weather'..... and there were persistent rumours that sponsors' prejudices were influential.

It is worth noting that Blondie Haslar's 'Jester', which participated in the first Observer S/H 'STAR' in 1960, was a 25-foot converted Folkboat. All 5 competitors finished, and 4 out of the 5 were well under 30 feet, giving the lie to the 'unseaworthy' suggestion.

The Jester Challenges are intended inter alia to reflect the principles of good seamanship and personal responsibility in small boats, as espoused by Major 'Blondie'.

Some remarkable passages have been completed by skippers in truly small boats, including Bill Churchouse in 'Belgean' and Rory McDougall in 'Cookie' ( or 'Cooking Fat' ! )

A search on Youtube will show plenty to intrigue.....
Thanks Zoidberg, I do understand the ethos behind the challenge, hence the comment about tagging along rather than formally enter.

ScallywagII

Visit site
You certainly can but be ready for all sorts of snide comments about being overlength. But always made in good humour.

I have bought myself a 25' boat as taking a 34' boat to the US for JC18 caused the odd remark.
Hi, any odd remarks will have been about the boat not corresponding with the details on the entry list. You earned the right to be there again, particularly because your late change of plans was due to the absence of any other takers for what was effectively the Jester World Challenge. None of the other skippers would have expected you to find and prepare another boat.

Both the finishers in 18 were jester plus size, so if any of the other starters ever get to Newport in the same craft that should make them the first JC18 finishers in the Jester class. There is no time limit.

Stay safe

Len (Emu)

Laser310

Visit site
what about a boat that is exactly 30ft LOA.., but also has an extendable sprit?

This is a (somewhat) serious enquiry.. I am interested and the delay makes it a possibility for me, but i would not want to feel that I am pushing the boundaries of what is acceptable.

Yellow Ballad

Visit site
Crack on!

Nobody is going to get the tape measure out, if the hull is a 30ft marque. You're not going to be disallowed for bolting a vane on the back, adding a sprit on isn't going against the spirit of the event in my eyes.

Laser310

Visit site
Crack on!

Nobody is going to get the tape measure out, if the hull is a 30ft marque. You're not going to be disallowed for bolting a vane on the back, adding a sprit on isn't going against the spirit of the event in my eyes.

my sprit is original built in, not added, but it's about 5 or 6ft.

zoidberg

Visit site
You want a 30-foot boat? With a pole out the front?

Try this.....

And you'd be welcome as a Jester.