Jeanneau 409 or Dufour 405 for long range family cruising

Cloud 5

Visit site
that a personal preference. I had my boat on charter and when replacing it asked my then current charter co and a few others speaking both to the managers and the people that repaired the boats and that was he advice i got.

IIRC one was looking at a new Elan at SIBS and just with punters poking about a number of the cabin locker hinges were broken.

My Jeanneau 43 DS is now 15yrs old and was on charter for 11yrs with Hamble Point Yacht Charters. We are currently living on it having sailed it to Nazare. Proof of the pudding and all that.

Bit like smoking really there is always one that smokes 40 a day and lives to 90!
Point is your jeanneau is 43ds beautiful yacht
They do not build them to that standard now ,apples & oranges .
New Elans way ahead ask a Marine Surveyor

Sailfree

Visit site
All in eye of beholder.

Ignoring makes as a structural engineer I don't like the production trend to have the outer hull thin and a moulded inner hull like an egg crate glued to it to give it strength.

its cheap uses less materials but boats do get impacts and grounding and "work" a bit in waves with the Hull distorting a bit and apart from a hammer test or drilling holes you can't tell if the two hulls have become debonded.

my jeanneau 43DS was the last one built with a thicker outer hull and inner visible ribs and beams to strengthen it.

to be competitive on price jeanneau changed after my model in 2005 to an inner egg crate for strengthening. Elans are also an egg crate type construction

hence older production boats are stronger but heavier.