James Silver of Rosneath and John Bain designs.

tillergirl

Visit site
I understand. Removing the engines will be challlenging but necessary of course. TG, being a wooden boat, had very simple tanks to remove. I expect the same for you - hardly nothing of course but nothing like a plastic boat where everything has been glued together.

I admit being slightly frustrated not being able to watch.

jstarmarine

Visit site
The aft cabin berths now half removed yo expose the original berth design underneath the berth design put in by a later owner

part of the original framework which is going to be re-instated later in the restoration

one of the original davit sockets still bolted in the boat

the steering cable tubes for the steering wires to run through

a good clean up in the aft cabin once the remaining wood is removed and a temporary floor is laid in place of th original floor boards which be cleaned and repaired as necessary

the fore cabin has it was this morning will be posting a photo tomorrow to show what it is like now

jstarmarine

Visit site
As I said last night I would post the before and aft photos of the fore cabin

Firstly the before phot

The pile of rotten and damaged panelling

The after photo with the panelling gone and the gull able to air circulating round the inside of the hull for the first in over 20 years

The next area to get the wood work removed to get air to the hull

The aft cabin has had the berth removed to find the old position of the original berth design behind the more modern athwartships berth which is not the one Chance was built with in 1948

The original framework and paint work showing how it was originally made up

Major rebuilding needed in the aft end with a completely mew transom to be made and deck repairs needed for the davits can be placed on their original position

jstarmarine

Visit site
These next two phots show the area of the interior which will be carefully dismantled to gain access to the hull so that the hull fixings will be exposed and will be able to be re=fixed in the same way they were when Chance was built in 1948

The major change in this area is to remove the diesel cooker and re-instate the cabinet work that was here when she was build and put the cooker back in the galley area on the port side where it was originally positioned

The port side of the main cabin is where there was a heater to heat the main cabin, There will be a heater placed there, however it will not be the only form of heating in the boat when she is restored as the there will be blown warm air heating to the whole boat.

This whole area will be re-build to look has close to its original layout and any changes that were done over the years removed and the interior design reconstructed

The foredeck hatches will have to be rebuild as the forward one is falling to pieces and is nailed down. So I will have carefully drill out he nail in the upper part of the hatch and carefully remove the hatch top and the base and take them back to my workshop to rebuild the hatch once more

The same is true of the galley and main cabin hatches, these to have been nailed down and will need careful drilling out of the nails holding the hatches down before ant work can be done on these beautiful hatches, They just elegant skylight hatches and show off Chances' beautiful lines

The position of Chances' main mast tabernacle which along with Chances; mizzen mast tabernacle will be re-instated towards the enf=d of the restoration when she will be re=rigged as the Ketch rigged motor sailer e=she once was

The vast foredeck which will be filled with the mossing deck fittings she once had when she was last in commission

jstarmarine

Visit site
Hi Forum members,

I am searching for any plans of my James Silver Western Isles. Does anyone out there know where I should start to look for them, as it will help me with my rebuilding of the boat over the coming few years, as I am wishing to put her back as close as possible to original layout. I am at present finding out lays of some of the original layout as I remove fittings that have been put over the original over the years. So if anyone can help please email me on my email address enquiries@j-starmarineservices.uk
Thank you
Simon

jstarmarine

Visit site
My family's work list for Chance week b/w 9/08/2021
Sort out making temp floor boards for the fore cabin and main cabin from the chipboard in van and
Finish off making blanks for cockpit windows and doors and cabin windows five in the cockpit and one in the main cabin
Remove old diesel cooker out of main cabin and take off boat and put in van to bring back to workshop to be cleaned up and put up for sale
Wash down all the surfaces as they come clear of old paneling and mark off any problem areas, vacuum up cabins has we remove old paneling and floorboards and clean out bilge as we go along starting at the bow and working aft.
John to look at the wheelhouse roof to see if it can be removed in one piece or if it will have to be dismantled to remove the roof. Then john can make a start on the engine compartment and the machinery room, removing old wiring and taking photos as he goes along removing parts, Engines to be removed as soon as it is possible to get crane sorted out to get them out of the boat and brought back to the workshop to be worked on and cleaned up and sold.
Remove all the rest of the cupboard doors and locker fronts: remove all cupboards as possible to gain access to the hull to get access to plank fixings
Remove the aft toilet and pipe work and holding tank and deck fittings, clean up toilet and check to see if it can be made to work
Clean out bilges of dirty water and photograph the weights while they are in position and then they need to be removed to the van and cleaned when back at the workshop, then bilges can cleaned so it is possible to get to planking for painting and inspecting for damage or rot. Get tarpaulins’ to cover up rest of boat, use the sheeting I have in the van and screw in place with battens in van.
Try to get butterfly hatches off the deck as well as fore and aft deck hatches so they can be repaired back at the workshop. Make up plywood panels to cover the areas where the hatches are removed.

If I can achieve this list I will be happy and will take as many photos as possible to show how we got on at the end of next week.

jstarmarine

Visit site
What plans do you have for powering her? Just diesel or maybe electric hybrid?
Hi Penfold,
I am will be looking into hybrid engines. As the original engines were only 20 hp each and from the Lloyd's register the boat was able to make 9kts. So with two modern 30hp hybrid engines they will be lighter and even with a battery bank we will still make 9kts.
Regards
Simon

jstarmarine

Visit site
First sight of the interior from last time I was on the boat.

The first of many dustbins full of old bits coming out of the boat and going in the skip of metal srcap bin

A small area of stringer with a small area of rot which needs cutting out and repairing

The hull planking as a area of rot which will removed when the planks are removed and the whole area is treated with fugal spore treatment to kill off any spore in the ribs or frames

The whole area of the hull above the starboard cupboard now exposed for the first time since Chance was build and now the air can get to the hull to help dry out the area

The galley sink is now removed and so is the upper cupboard so more of the hull is exposed to add getting to the plank fixings so that she can be re-fixed the correct way with copper nails and roves and not just screwed together which appears to have been done on some of the planking that as be replaced over the years.

The next three photos s show the galley upper cupboard being taken apart

My brother john adding me with getting the interior ballast out of the bilge so the area can be cleaned and dried out and inspected

The next few photos showing the condition of the bilges once the ballast weights were mostly removed some of the remaining weights are in need of a bit more attention to get them out of where they are wedged in position

Bajansailor

Visit site
@jstarmarine I think it would be worthwhile starting a new thread to document the restoration of Chance - I am sure that it would become an epic and classic account of an excellent restoration.

You could even give consideration to setting up a Youtube channel to show your progress - if you did, I am sure it would be very popular.
Just look at Leo and his channel on Youtube about Tally Ho - his videos usually get up to 500,000 views fairly quickly.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-_lYeV8hBnDSay7nmphUA

jstarmarine

Visit site
@jstarmarine I think it would be worthwhile starting a new thread to document the restoration of Chance - I am sure that it would become an epic and classic account of an excellent restoration.

You could even give consideration to setting up a Youtube channel to show your progress - if you did, I am sure it would be very popular.
Just look at Leo and his channel on Youtube about Tally Ho - his videos usually get up to 500,000 views fairly quickly.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-_lYeV8hBnDSay7nmphUA
Hi Bajansailor,

I do have a You tube Channel for my restoration of Chance and it as been live for about 4 weeks, There is the link to the channel,

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMZFRkz9Y1ZOh1jyfj0PRKQ

jstarmarine

Visit site
What a couple of Weeks' I have just had working on Chance. The work on Chance when well its what came afterwards I could do without. "Stress" "Stress" "Stress"
Back to work after seems like a long time, I know it as only been a couple of weeks, however, it feels longer because of what when on between leaving to go on a part working holiday and family holiday. the first part was straightforward. Going to Chance as often as possible, first part of the plan, that when okay. it is not always easy as this last two weeks as shown. About a month ago, I was able to buy a caravan to live in while up in the north West of England where Chance is presently in storage and in a condition that it is not suitable to move in her present condition. So to make things easier I bought a large touring caravan. However, before I could use the caravan, I had to do a few things to the caravan to be able to tow it to be near Chance. Good plan, at first everything was going to plan, Bedding and other things needed to fit out our new home from home were sorted. Then the day we had set to go up country to where Chance is presently in Storage came around. The trip up country when well for the most part apart from the part over the Pennines, this part proved to be a major headache as the traffic on the motorway was going at about 10 to 15 mph for the best part of 8 to 10 miles. My transit van was more than capable of towing our new home from home caravan. So I thought, I spent the first four days working on Chance with the aid of my brother John who had come over from his home in Yorkshire for the four days we were planning to work on the boat. That part of the week when well and we got a fair bit done and made plans for the next time I was going to go up to work on Chance. Then the fun or not so fun part of the time up at Chance. When had found a place near to Chance to have the caravan for the time we were up there and also a place to keep it when were not working on Chance and we could move the caravan between the two places when we were up working on Chance. Then the Transit developed a problem with changing gears. At first I put it down to my tiredness. However, the problem got worse until the Transit broke down going for some shopping for breakfast, little did in know that this was going to take all day to get sorted out. My wife was with me and she was able to go back to the caravan while I stayed with the Transit until the recovery man and vehicle arrived. The first recovery man came and said he was not able to fix it on the roadside, however he was able to take my wife back to our caravan to get things sorted at tat end. Then I had a long wait until the second recovery man came and he was able to recover the Transit to our caravan so that it was with the caravan. Next morning they removed the Transit to their depot and the caravan were able to put our caravan into their storage area until it will be possible for me to get up to the North West of ~England to move the caravan to its storage area that we had arrange for it to be in while not working on Chance.So with Chance all covered over with sheets to keep the weather out of the boat and the caravan sorted at the caravan site in the their storage area, it was time to say farewell to Chance for a little while. Then make the 285 mile trip back home to North Essex and back to work or so I thought. We were a day late leaving the North West and before the trip up to the North West our car was in the local garage for repairs. When I got back home I when round to the garage to ask if the car had been repaired, only to get told that an electrical problem had developed and that they were trying to resolve the problem ASAP. So the next chapter starts, had to hand back the lease car after we had made it home. The company said it should be able to find another car, but were unable to help out at this time. So then we had to find another car, this proved to be a problem as every local company we phoned did not have any available vehicles. Until at the eleven hour one local company came through and we now have a car until Thursday evening. By which time either my Transit van will be fixed or my wife's car will. As on Friday we have to go to a close friend's funeral. So I am hoping that the car problems are behind us. Then I can make fresh plans for the next time I go up to Chance to work on her .In between times it is back to my day job being a boat builder, repairing other peoples and keeping their boat in good order.

D

Deleted member 36384

I am not familiar with Silvers motor yachts but I saw these two yachts which I suspect may be from the Silvers stable. The pictures were taken last week. The motor yacht underway is in the Sound of Jura, which I have seen twice now, once in the Sound of Jura and once heading into the Sound of Shuna. The moored motor yacht is at Tobermory, Isle of Mull, which has been there for a few years. Does anyone know these motor yachts and can confirm if they are Silvers?

The pictures are large file size, so may load slowly.

Motor Yacht, Sound of Jura
2021-08-22 20:28:05 by Rival Sailor, on Flickr

Motor Yacht, Moored At Tobermory, Isle of Mull
Untitled by Rival Sailor, on Flickr

D

Deleted member 36384

The first yacht is Chico, a well known motor yacht. She is not a Silvers. ...

Thanks for the clarification. It's great seeing these old motor yachts underway, such grace, style and elegance when compared to the modern motor yacht. My particular favourite is The Sgarbh, more a fishing boat style, moored at the Crinan hotel and available for skippered charter.

Crinan Hotel, West Coast of Scotland - Actvities

Apologies for the off topic drift. I have no association with either charter companies.