James Silver of Rosneath and John Bain designs.

Silvandermax

Visit site
Hi Melvyn. Grand to see Novara, as we knew her when my father Robbie Jeffrey owned her in the 1960s, she was a very fine boat indeed. Many, many happy months exploring every inch of the West Coast. We had a house at Waterfoot, Kintyre and I have pictures of her moored there in the River Carra. Seems like yesterday. We went on to own Silvander, a Silver’s Brown Owl after Novara. I would be fascinated by any material you may still have on her though. Regards, Doug Jeffrey.

Attached is the Brown Owl SILVANDER we had late 60s and 70s - this is 1973.

I am pleased to be the owner of Silvander (now back to the original name of Spero) since 2002. Now looks like this and soon will be back inside for some more work (mainly interiors this time)

Attachments

• Spero on the blocks 2018.jpg
    Spero on the blocks 2018.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Spero 2018.jpg
    Spero 2018.jpg
    575.5 KB · Views: 37

jstarmarine

Visit site
Dear Forum members,

I am looking for information about the early part James Silver Western Isles TSMY Chance (Token) life, such as who owned her, the dates that she was owned by different people during her long life. I do not need any information along the last 15 years as I know who owned during this time. It is just her time until the 2000. Also does anyone know if the second Western Isles is still in commission or if she as long since gone into the mists of time.

Kind Regards

Simon

penfold

Visit site
A look at Lloyds Register for 1948 onwards if she's ever been part one registered(there will be her official number and her registered tonnage carved into a beam somewhere) will give some details. The British Library in London or even the Lloyds Register Foundation are probably the nearest places to you in Essex for this, although sometimes bigger county libraries will have copies if they have a coastline and a history of ship and boat building.

penfold

Visit site
Here it goes again.
Sad Silverette project in Devon for someone with deep pockets or the ability to DIY it.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

jstarmarine

Visit site
On my way back to Chance this morning to start the inventory of the boat and to make a start on cleaning out the cabins and photographing and videoing the condition of the boat to work out how much of the boat needs restoring and how many new items will need to be sourced from my different contacts within the marine trade. Also cover up the wheelhouse windows and any of the other holes in the hull and cabin sides/ So it should be an interesting couple of days ahead while we make in roads into the restoration ahead. I have help this time with my wife and my brother lending a extra pair of hands with many of the larger items such as the masts and other heavy items on the boat.

jstarmarine

Visit site
A view out of the wheelhouse from the steering position along the long foredeck which at the moment does not have its main mast or guardrails fitted which will be restored and hen refitted at a later stage of the restoration

The view forward from the starboard side showing off the butterfly skylights and forecabin hatch which in time will be removed and restored and re-varnished to look like they were when she was originally launched in 1948

The original compass which is going to go to be restored by a compass restorer

The masts for the boat which apart from a bit of age damage are in reasonable condition which with a good sanding and lot of varnish will look good once more and will be able bed on new sails and be able set sail on the high seas again

A couple of family members heling get the restoration project underway and I am sure there are going to be friends to help along the way

jstarmarine

Visit site
This photo is of the engineering space aboard Chance full of old out of date equipment and wiring which is all going to be removed and new up to date electrical wiring and equipment will be fitted to bring up to date and safe.

Just a sea of old old out of date equipment and wiring and bilge pump

Much of this equipment as not been updated in decades if in some case never

jstarmarine

Visit site
Having taken off the ensign and flag box off the main bulkhead we can see the colour of the original wood finish.

Simple and down to earth engine controls, I will looking to find if the instruments can restored or new original looking gauges can be found

The ships wheel is from the period of her launch and cam from Simpson & Lawrence of Glasgow

jstarmarine

Visit site
The original main saloon bunk back and it doubles as a bunk bed when in harbour

With the back rest in the bunk bed position can see the hull more easily

he galley sink which is going to be revamped and made to look more original

This cooker I will think long about restoring it as I am not sure that it is in the correct position

The original ships number from Lloyds Ship register which I will now have to do more research on

jstarmarine

Visit site
The forward bilge area which is full oily water and dirt of other types which will be the first area to be cleared out so that bilges can be cleaned and repainted

The main saloon/ cabin starboard side an area which will need restoring back to it former glory and condition

Some old speed and depth equipment

one of the boats former owners long since flown the nest

The galley area port side with an area for a gimballed cooker

another view of the forward bilge with a pond pump laying in the bilge which was got to work and was able to remove much of the water

The forecabin which not original and there should be to bunk and a toilet in this area

There is a spilt plank below the rubbing strake between two butt joints which will need to be investigated as a matter of priority

jstarmarine

Visit site
The reason for this is two fold, firstly to expose the inside areas of the hull and gauge the extend of the rot in the planking behind parts of the hull covered by panelling and lockers. Secondly to be able to re-fix the hull planking in the same way it was done originally copper nails and roves and not to relay on just screws. Because this is going to be a full on restoration the rebuilding of the hull planking will be in the same method as used when Chance was built in 1948.

The forward cabin is especially in need of measurement being taken and photograph of all the items that are in their present position. However, looking at other James Silver's of a similar size. The hull was not panelled out like Chance, but bare painted hull will mahogany battens screwed on to the frames and ribs to act as back rests for the bunks when the crew are sleeping in the forward cabin. I expect to find evidence of this when I remove the present panelling off the frames as it is done presently.

In the aft master cabin the layout is completely not originally as the cabin bunk arrangement is athwartships which is not the way this was originally built on other James Silver's of a similar age and size there are two bunks aft and a chest of drawers in the aft end of the cabin. The hope is to remove the present arrangement and see if there are witness marks of the original arrangement and if there is a chance there are plans available which will make it possible to re-fit the original from her build plans and put it back the way she way in 1948.

So that is my plan of action for my next trip to Chance and her ongoing restoration

jstarmarine

Visit site
Chance is presently in a crane hire yard in Woodplumpton near Preston in Lancashire.

First day at the Chance was to take a good look around the boat and see how much work was going to be needed to make her sound to move her back to Walton on the Naze where my yard is situated.

The second visit to Chance was with my family and Brother John who helps removes the rubbish from the inside of the cabins. Loose Items, such as the Masts and Booms, which were placed under the boat on blocks to keep them off the ground and keep them straight and out of the weather.

Other items such as cupboard / locker doors and drawers were removed and put in my works van to be transported back to my workshop to be put into storage until they are repaired or new doors and drawer are made where necessary.

Other rubbish which included old vacuum clearer and a number of other items which were removed so the floorboards could be accessed to take a look in the bilge areas of the hull to see what was in them and how much work was going to be needed to clear and sort out this area of the boat.

Then my brother and I put a partial cover over the back of the boat to keep the weather off the hole in the transom and over the aft cabin which is in a bit of a poor condition at present and a partial cover over the cockpit windows to keep the weather out of the cockpit area as well.

The next time I go up to Chance, I will start to make a set of temporary floor boards and remove the original floor boards, so that they can be cleaned up and remove all the dirt and oil which is covering them and the bilge at the present time. At the same time start to remove the panels in the sides of the forecabin and see what they are hiding behind them. Then turn our attention to the aft cabin and remove the aft cabin berth which is not the original berth when Chance was build

If we have time we will hope to remove the internal ballast which is the bilge area in the main and forecabin. Once the ballast weights are out of the way then the job of cleaning the forward end of the bilge can begin and see the extent of it condition.
IMG_20210612_194801_723.jpg
The following time it will be the turn of the removing all the fore and aft lockers and cupboards so that we can access to the hull from the inside in all the cabins. Carefully taking measurements of all the parts we remove so that as much as is possible to refit can be refitted at a later date once the hull repairs are done and the hull is repainted on the inside with bilge paint in the bilge areas and white gloss in the areas which were painted that way when she was first built.

tillergirl

Visit site
I know I have said this before; photos can deceive but the deck looks remarkably good condition despite the lack of maintenance.

Is the wheelhouse the original?

jstarmarine

Visit site
The decks are in need of repaying and a good sanding once the screw holes are re-plugged so they should be okay for a few years to come. The wheelhouse is original, however, at sometime in the past the wheelhouse and the aft cabin sides were both painted white. The aft cabin sides are shot and will nee replacing . so i am going to put them back the way they were originally varnished as other James Silver's are

tillergirl

Visit site
Excellent news re the deck and indeed with the wheelhouse original. And the 'lights look in good condition. A substantial saving of time and money there.

jstarmarine

Visit site
The both the skylights will a bit of attention to get to work again as they have been fixed down at sometime in the past and will need un-fixing and the fore hatch as well

tillergirl

Visit site
Shame. But perhaps a necessary action to help to protect her. Getting those two 'light back to original would be a wonderful project on their own. Are you going to have to re-plank?

jstarmarine

Visit site
Yes, about a 1/3 of the planking will have be replaced Mostly amidships and in the upper planks ahead of the wheelhouse and the transom will have to replaced. That is going to be a fun job treble diagonal layered and two way curved. The aft cabin sides will all have to be replaced as well. Once that is done will be able to move her closer to home.

jstarmarine

Visit site
Hi Tillergirl,
Reduced the overall weight within the boat by taking out the heavy weight, such as her engines and fuel and water tanks and re-plank the the midships area first to give her some strength . As the worse of rotten planking is in that area and the only way to get to that part from the inside is to remove the engine and tanks and get to look at the condition of the frames and see if any will need replacing before re-plank that area of the boat/