James Silver of Rosneath and John Bain designs.

scandalpete

Visit site
Just found this forum !! I own "Bodilla" a 38ft Silver built in 1955. Shown on page 166 of the Yachting World Annual (YWA) of 1956. She has a sister ship "Lemara" built, I think, a couple of years later. I bought her over 20 years ago needing quite a lot of work. The "shipwright" I used was great at planking but not at joinery, because although he was able to replicate the wheelhouse design from the YWA he wasn't a good joiner , used incorrect techniques, and as a result I am now having to rebuild the wheelhouse again. Since buying the boat, I took early retirement, spent an enjoyable year at IBTC in Lowestoft intending to repair Bodilla, instead spent 15 years repairing other wooden boats and dinghies around Chichester harbour with the poor ship on blocks under a tarp !! Now I've fallen back in love with her again I'll start work once more - just as soon as I've finished the work on a Fairey Fisherman (perfect for the harbour). Bodilla was re-engined in the '70s - I suspect because she sank at some time judging by the new planking we found - and now has 2 x Ford 2700 marinised engines with Velvet drives. Apart from that all the original furniture and internal layout is there.
I used to be a member of the Silver Motor Yacht Association (even have the flag !!) and regret it no longer exists. I would be very happy to help anyone else who might like to get it going again.

Uricanejack

Visit site
Just found this forum !! I own "Bodilla" a 38ft Silver built in 1955. Shown on page 166 of the Yachting World Annual (YWA) of 1956. She has a sister ship "Lemara" built, I think, a couple of years later. I bought her over 20 years ago needing quite a lot of work. The "shipwright" I used was great at planking but not at joinery, because although he was able to replicate the wheelhouse design from the YWA he wasn't a good joiner , used incorrect techniques, and as a result I am now having to rebuild the wheelhouse again. Since buying the boat, I took early retirement, spent an enjoyable year at IBTC in Lowestoft intending to repair Bodilla, instead spent 15 years repairing other wooden boats and dinghies around Chichester harbour with the poor ship on blocks under a tarp !! Now I've fallen back in love with her again I'll start work once more - just as soon as I've finished the work on a Fairey Fisherman (perfect for the harbour). Bodilla was re-engined in the '70s - I suspect because she sank at some time judging by the new planking we found - and now has 2 x Ford 2700 marinised engines with Velvet drives. Apart from that all the original furniture and internal layout is there.
I used to be a member of the Silver Motor Yacht Association (even have the flag !!) and regret it no longer exists. I would be very happy to help anyone else who might like to get it going again.
Nice boat, I knew “Lemara“ well. I can remember what year she was built, she still exists, on the east coast now I believe Or last heard.

Silver Cloud 155

Visit site
I think this one ‘Silver Cloud’ is a one off, not a standard Silverette. It also looks to me like the topsides have been painted where traditionally they would have been varnished on the top 3 or 4 planks. Definitely worth a look and has been on the market for a couple of years. Can’t beat a Silvers.
To pick up on #43 I know a little of 'Silver Cloud' built by James A Silver, Rosneath. Member Launchedin 66 is correct, the boat is a one-off and was registered in 1936, LOA 38'. It was built for Lt. - Col Grahame Deaken.
I rescued the boat from its mooring at Villefranch- sur-Mer after having negotiated through Chris Jardine who ran the Silver Motor Yacht Association at the time. There was concern the boat would be scuppered or worse if something was not done quickly having already been looted and having suffered damaged whilst at its mooring. My understanding is the locals were becoming somewhat fed up with Silver Cloud. Unfortunately negotiations were frustrated as Chris had already given first refusal to another party, but had lost contact with them. In the meantime I had found a yacht haulier whom was making a delivery to a nearby marina in France and would be returning to England without a load. When given the green light I had little time to make arrangements.
Silver Cloud was towed to Port Vauban, Antibes for lifting and overland transportation to Oxfordshire, England; arriving 26th June 2000. Unfortunately I couldn't find a suitable covered hard standing with such short notice so it was chocked up in the open. This was the downfall of my intent to restore the boat as the extent of work required demanded a covered space. Regrettably I put Silver Cloud up for sale June 2002 as a full restoration project. I understood the new owner was retired with the time and funds to undertake the restorative work, unfortunately I did not receive any updates on progress or outcome.
My subsequent searches haven't proved fruitful. I would be grateful if anyone could shed light on or provide further information on the boats condition. I'm aware also the boat had lost title to bear the name Silver Cloud so may have been renamed. I also have pictures of its condition at anchor in Villefranche and some from the towing operation as well as some documentation that may be of interest to the current owner.

lexi

Visit site
There was a nice Silvers on Loch Lomond for many many years. Was up for sale in good condition for very reasonable money. last year. The price started well up and eventually it was to be had for around 10 grand I think. "Zaida " it was called

Uricanejack

Visit site
Lemara is on the same mooring as Zaire at Teddington. She is 1955, I think, and in very fine fettle.
Thanks I looked her up on google and found an article in-the Thames wooden boat club.
Intresting . The new owner who took her south. Knew her from Crinnan. nice to see she is still reciving TLC .

ianc1200

Visit site
Noticed a Silverette for sale on the FB group "Boats advice and bits and tips"

Classic motor cruiser - Silverette - Griffin Price - £1500.00 L 30' x B 8'6" 9tonnes Available for restoration, needs a lot of work but the rarer twin screw model makes it quite desirable. Twin BMC 1500 diesels fitted, condition unknown Lying ashore at Clyde Boatyard , Clydebank.

1.jpg2.jpg

burgundyben

Visit site
Noticed a Silverette for sale on the FB group "Boats advice and bits and tips"

Classic motor cruiser - Silverette - Griffin Price - £1500.00 L 30' x B 8'6" 9tonnes Available for restoration, needs a lot of work but the rarer twin screw model makes it quite desirable. Twin BMC 1500 diesels fitted, condition unknown Lying ashore at Clyde Boatyard , Clydebank.

View attachment 104176View attachment 104177

I would think the future pretty grim for her.

Shame. She'd be a lovely boat for someone if she'd been better cared for.

Brown Owl Class

Visit site
In the past there was a Silver Motoryacht Association, a rudimentary website which seems to have gone.

I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be more interest? A Club? A register? Not even a discussion thread (until now).

The're fine boats.

Does Colin Scott here on YBW still have Englander? Anyone else?

This looks a nice project for someone

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml

penfold

Visit site
Sad Silverette project in Devon for someone with deep pockets or the ability to DIY it.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

jstarmarine

Visit site
There is Chance in the background

One of the major areas of rotten planking that needs replacing

On the whole the boat looks in reasonable condition when you get past the poor condition of the paint work and look under the surface

Much of the rotten wood is in areas of poor air flow in the past and the lack of been look after over the past few years

single rudder which was normal practice in the period when Chance was build

One area that need attention to stop the bow moving a block under the bow to support the forefoot of the keel