James Silver of Rosneath and John Bain designs.

jstarmarine

Visit site
Hi Kevin V
I am finding out that on Chance, no upkeep for over 20 years and one hell of a job to bring it back to a sea worthy condition, however, James Silver boats are worth every pound spent on them as they are such beautiful boats.

jstarmarine

Visit site
As I am going through my restoration of Chance, I would like to pick up some original bits and pieces which are missing from her. namely Portholes, cleats, davits, stanchions, etc.. So if any of you Silver owners have any of the bits I am looking for could DM me we can discuss the matter further. It would be good to put back some of the original fittings as I would like to put her back to the way she was when she was first launched back in 1948.
Regards
Simon
Owner and Restorer of the James Silver "Western Isles" Chance

jstarmarine

Visit site
Hi Fellow James Silver Owners, This is question to you all. As you know I am restoring Chance my own James Silver boat. She was originally rigged as a Ketch rigged motorsailer. Both masts and booms have survived, however, the tabernacles are no longer with the boat and also there are no chainplates or stemhead fittings I was wondering if any one as a sail plan for the position of the chain plates as over the years Chance as had a number of planks replaced and the positions of the chainplate have been lost. The position of the tabernacles are still there as the bolts are still in the deck where the tabernacles were removed at sometime in the past. I am hoping someone can help with the position of the chainplates and other parts for the sail plan and deck fitting positions.
Regards
Simon
Owner and restorer of Chance

asboyd

Visit site
Hi everyone. I was travelling through Fort Willam recently and saw Silver Bird (I could tell instantly it was a Silver's boat :) )moored up just south of Fort William. My father used to run Silvers up until 1971 and I'd love to see any pictures of Silver's boats. Thanks!!!

jstarmarine

Visit site
Hi everyone. I was travelling through Fort Willam recently and saw Silver Bird (I could tell instantly it was a Silver's boat :) )moored up just south of Fort William. My father used to run Silvers up until 1971 and I'd love to see any pictures of Silver's boats. Thanks!!!
Hi AS Boyd,
I am trying to get info about my James Silver Western Isles. She appears to be a one off design as no others appears to be build. I wonder if he might of none about her she was named Chance and then Token.
Regards
Simon Papendick

jstarmarine

Visit site
1.JPG

1.JPG

1.JPG

1.JPG

1.JPG

1.JPG

This is the Scottish village from which Chance was commissioned and launched back in 1948 and it is still boat building to this day
1.JPG

1.JPG

this is the onsite sawmill that the logs were cut for Chances' hull and many more before and since. Although it is now the yards mast storage as the timber now is brought in pre-cut these days.
1.JPG
This is the site of the old shed in which Chance was build in 1948 and many other smaller James Silvers. A the Yard Manager said this shed was build to built the James Silvers up to 50ft and the larger sheds on the site were to built the larger Silvers.

The loch where Chance would have first sailed on her commissioning trials and where Chance would have spent her first year before setting off on her adventures through her different owners down the years.

jstarmarine

Visit site
Inside the small boatbuilding shed at Silver's boatyard, which the same boatyard that Chance wa build and launched from in 1948

The shed is large by todays standards, however, when boats like Chance was being build there was a number of boats build at the same time and so the space would be full of boats and men building they at the same time

The railway tracks in the ground were from the time when the boats were moved around the shed and moved down to the waters edge and launched down the slipways, which the Boatyard manager Duncan said was ten of them at one time, so was the amount of boats being build at the same time.

A throwback to older times with a classic fire alarm

The travel hoist and one of the last slipways at the boatyard where boats like Chance would have been launched down.

Dougie Archibald

Visit site
Good Evening All,

My late father-in-law owned a James Silver 36ft (I think) ketch rigged motor cruiser which he sold before he died way back in 1982. Her name is / was JUNE and he had it moored in the Ardfern marina, about 25 miles south of Oban.
Can anyone help me to locate / find the June please?
My wife and I couldn't afford the sales price at the time of £8,000 ... but we can now, all these years later!
I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can point me in the JUNE's direction - I am assuming she is still seaworthy and still
up in the Clyde region.
Many thanks.
Dougie

jstarmarine

Visit site
Chance arrived at midday and was offloaded at the local marina boatyard where is in now laid up ready for the major works to start in the coming weeks and months to come.

Now Chance is near to my workshop work should be easier and be able to be done at a faster rate than before.

She will be well protected from the elements as she is low down with high banks around her

Chance is going to be supported a lot better now with many more supports under her in better places and keep her in the correct shape

This part of the stem is going to need some attention when we get round to this part of the restoration and may have to do a bit of investigation into why this as happened and sort this problem out

The once proud boat is once more looking to the future with renewed hope and a second chance of making the high seas once more

penfold

Visit site
I love the continuity of the boat builders shed still beibg there. Nice.
That shed is a recent(late 80s!) addition; there are 3 sheds remaining from the Bain era though, the biggest covering the yard's only remaining patent slip which can probably accommodate up to ~100' vessels, but I'm not aware of it being used for a long time. Shame there's no building being done any more(IIRC the last at Silvers was IODs in the 80s) but it requires a special kind of yard manager to make those sums work in the UK.

Hamish Bain

Visit site
Just doing a bit of searching on a wet day and came across this forum. I am pleased to see there are still Silver cruisers out there. Does anyone have an idea how many are seaworthy ? My interest is because John Bain was my great uncle and I’m the last relative.

jstarmarine

Visit site
Dear Hamish,
I do not know how many are still seaworthy, however, my James Silver is a one off designed by your relative. Her name is Chance and she is a Western Isles. Motor Sailer.
Regards
Simon Papendick