James Silver of Rosneath and John Bain designs.

burgundyben

Visit site
In the past there was a Silver Motoryacht Association, a rudimentary website which seems to have gone.

I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be more interest? A Club? A register? Not even a discussion thread (until now).

The're fine boats.

Does Colin Scott here on YBW still have Englander? Anyone else?

This looks a nice project for someone

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=499707

Mad Pad

Visit site
Yes,the website has gone,just tried the tel no which rings but no answer,will try the email.
I printed off "The Silver Register" last updated in 1999,with 85 Silvers registered,in 2008.
Had dinner with Colin and Belinda last year in the UK and he still had Englander,then in Corfu.
I don't think Englander was built by Silvers but is a John Bain Design.
Attached a Silver Ormidale I have posted before.
Anyone else have a "Silver" and I will check out the register....and maybe start a new site?
Best
Mad PadScan_20151217 (2).jpg

ccscott49

Visit site
Yes, I still have Englander, in Corfu. She is indeed a John Bain, but built in Kent, supervised by John Bain himself, choosing the logs she was sawn from and built, he died before she was finished and I am sure he would have been proud of her, as I'm sure he still would be, I have kept her immaculate. A few of the Ormidale class were also not built by silvers, but by Millers of fife, they tended to have Gardner diesels, as the majority of Silvers built boats did not, a few had Cummins (shots of Scotland) engines, plus a few different types. Englander is not an Ormidale, she is a one off motor sailer, looks a little like an ormidale, until you moor them side by side, then the differences become obvious. As we did in Corfu, with Silver Modesty (MadPads vessel)

ccscott49

Visit site
Always been an admirer but many of them had no outside space ... ie lounging around or dining space other than maybe perched on the stern coachroof!

What stern coach roof? No stern coach roof on an ormidale and heaps of lounging about room. Most Ormidales originally had a 17 foot launch on the aft deck! Most of the smaller silvers had plenty of room also. Maybe not this one.

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
What stern coach roof? No stern coach roof on an ormidale and heaps of lounging about room. Most Ormidales originally had a 17 foot launch on the aft deck! Most of the smaller silvers had plenty of room also. Maybe not this one.

I should rephrase with ... 'the ones that I looked at ...' ... they weren't anything like the size of the ones above!

DownWest

Visit site
Just curious here, but were the engines Coventry Victor, rather than Climax? ( CC engines used in fire pumps, F1 racing cars and Hillman Imps) CV made a wonderfull supercharged 2T four cylinder that was used in the RN Fast planing tenders.

DownWest

Visit site
Wet & windy here too, MP.
Have a look at Erik's thread on the Fast Planing Launch.

Think it was a CV flat twin in the Fairey Atalanta I rescued from Sardinia. Hope yours worked better!

burgundyben

Visit site
Wet & windy here too, MP.
Have a look at Erik's thread on the Fast Planing Launch.

Think it was a CV flat twin in the Fairey Atalanta I rescued from Sardinia. Hope yours worked better!

Rescue of an Atalanta from Sardinia sounds like the makings of a story for Fairey Owners Club 'Fairey News' if you felt like it.

Flynnbarr

Visit site
Silver Sonnet a Silver Ormidale is up for sale at Shepperton Marina.
A lovely boat I remember from way back.
One for you to rescue burgundyben!

Mad Pad

Visit site
I saw Silver Sonnet about 12 years ago moored on the Thames,a very sorry state.If she hasn't been restored in the meantime I would have thought she would be past it by now...all that sweet water.
How much are they asking?