James a Silvers

Rosneath

Visit site
Hi
Looking for help to reinstate silvers registration .Rubbish at website’s but have loads of info I.e. over a hundred photos mostly named documentation
Served my apprenticeship in silvers
Dad was manager in the 60s
Sister was private secretary to John Boyd my uncle slipping foreman cousin boatbuilder like me
Started in yard 1963 building clinker launches and dinghy’s then boat building and joiner shop first yacht silver sula buccaneer cavalier miss silver sea laughter111 silver trident and a few more
If someone is good with websites I could manage to scan all photos and names
Still researching
Regards all John Willis
Rosneath on forum

KevinV

Visit site
What kind of help are you after? www.silversmarine.co.uk is live with a small gallery and a contact page. The registrar and host is ionos.com
Is this your page that you can't update? Or are you wanting to create something new?

jstarmarine

Visit site
Hi
Looking for help to reinstate silvers registration .Rubbish at website’s but have loads of info I.e. over a hundred photos mostly named documentation
Sister was private secretary to John Boyd my uncle slipping foreman cousin boatbuilder like me
Started in yard 1963 building clinker launches and dinghy’s then boat building and joiner shop first yacht silver sula buccaneer cavalier miss silver sea laughter111 silver trident and a few more
Still researching
Regards all John Willis
Rosneath on forum
Hi John,
I am the owner and restorer of Chance which is the only James Silver "Western Isles" ever built in 1948. I am still looking for a set of build plans for her, so far I have come up empty handed. Even a few photos of her from when she was built and launch would be helpful. As I am trying to put her back as she was originally built. So any help would be gratefully received.

Regards
Simon Papendick
Owner of Chance

Rosneath

Visit site
What kind of help are you after? www.silversmarine.co.uk is live with a small gallery and a contact page. The registrar and host is ionos.com
Is this your page that you can't update? Or are you wanting to create something new?
Hi somethi
hi
Wanting to create new site or similar to download all my info so that I can share and hopefully owners and previous owners can add

Rosneath

Visit site
Hi John,
I am the owner and restorer of Chance which is the only James Silver "Western Isles" ever built in 1948. I am still looking for a set of build plans for her, so far I have come up empty handed. Even a few photos of her from when she was built and launch would be helpful. As I am trying to put her back as she was originally built. So any help would be gratefully received.

Regards
Simon Papendick
Owner of Chance
Hi Simon
Not much on chance just what you have
Have some working plans of a larger silvers will try to send didn’t go I could try email
Also there might have been 46.3 western isles called Jetta looking for a photo

jstarmarine

Visit site
Hi Simon
Have some working plans of a larger silvers will try to send didn’t go I could try email
Hi John
That would be good if you could email a set of working plans, At least it would be a start. You say that Jetta was a 46 ft. Western Isles ? I was lead to believe that Chance was the only Western Isles build and that it was 40 ft. in length

Regards

Simon

Rosneath

Visit site
Hi Simon
Hi John
That would be good if you could email a set of working plans, At least it would be a start. You say that Jetta was a 46 ft. Western Isles ? I was lead to believe that Chance was the only Western Isles build and that it was 40 ft. in length

Regards

Simon
hi Simon can’t seem to download onto forum is it possible to get a email address mine is Johnpeterwillis@gmail.com

Rosneath

Visit site
Hi John

Regards

Simon

Caer Urfa

groups.yahoo.com
Hello John
I spent a week at Silvers Boatyard/office in early 2008 when I was researching for my book the History of the Colvic Watson Motor Sailor especially the 'Jura Class' which was built when the yard was owned by D M Russell Marine, if you have any relations who worked there during the late 70's I would like to contact them maybe first hand info for some missing links :)

Rosneath

Visit site
Hi
Ian Connell worked in silvers all his life not long retired lives in Kilgreggan Dunbartonshire argyll and bute you might find him on yell or facebook .He might be able to help you .
regards john

jstarmarine

Visit site
First full day back at Chance at Woodplumpton, straight back to sanding the hull back to expose the planking and highlighting any rotten planking covered by paint or filler.

Sanding back the paint is a mind dying job, however, you do see the benefits of all the hard work when you get back to a bare hull and you can better assess the condition of the hull.

By the ned of the day the port side hull was sanded down apart from a small section at the hull which will be sanded back in the morning and then turn my attention to the starboard side at he bow to finish off the sanding of the hull. then the long job of marking off the planks to be removed.

While I have been busy with the sanding back of the paint on the hull, my brother John has been busy dismantling the cockpit floor and the floor bearers to get the water and fuel tanks out from under the side decks in the cockpit to expose the hull planking and ribs and frames in this area of the boat. Photos to follow on his work on clearing the area of the cockpit. We have find that the tanks are well past their best and after 74 years have finally given up the ghost and they are just scrap metal.

So tomorrow it will be time to cut up the tanks to get them out of the cockpit and off the boat so that work can strt on the hull planking other repairs. We will also be scrubbing out the bilges and getting them clearer so that that part of the boat worked on without getting ourselves covered in thick oily dirt.

jstarmarine

Visit site
As we had looked into the tanks while they were still in position and find they were U/S we decided that the best course of action was to remove the tanks in which ever way was easiest. So out with the cutting disc and cut the tanks into moveable pieces. So wile I was sanding back the rest of the hull, brother John was in the cockpit with the cutting disc slicing up the water tanks in to reasonable size pieces that could be removed through the cockpit doors.

As you can make out the inside of the tanks are quiet rusty and you would not wish to use these tank once the restoration is finished.

The bottom edges of both water tanks was in a poor condition and would only be a matter of time before they would rust through and we would have to remove them. So, it was decided that out with the 74 year old tanks and have new ones made to the same size in Stainless Steel.

Chance had a large amount of water onboard about a 140 gallons of water, 70 gallons aside. The fuel tanks ahead of these tanks hold 90 gallons of fuel so Chance would a long range in the way of fuel and a fair amount of water, Seeing has chance only had three sinks and a later added shower.

scandalpete

Visit site
Hi
Still researching
Regards all John Willis
Rosneath on forum
Hi Rosneath.
Have you managed to get anywhere with a new registration site ??
I was a member of the old association and have a few of the magazines. I own Bodilla - a 38ft Ormidale type which was included in the Yachting World Annual of 1956 currently under restoration.
Thanks for any info. Pete

jstarmarine

Visit site
Hi Pete,
I am the owner of the James Silver 40ft Western Isles Chance which my family and I are doing a full restoration on.
Regards
Simon Papendick
Owner of Chance