Jaguar 27?

loverobot

Visit site
Could anyone give me opinions on the above as a first yacht for 2 people to sail - are they safe boats specifically? I ask because I am likely to be singl-handing or crewed by a novice 12 year old

I am looking at a couple at the moment as a stopgap until my wife is ready to take the plunge properly and we buy something bigger in a year / two

I know they are lighter built than the sadlers etc but my wife is unlikely to be sailing much (in the UK at least) for at least a year due to impending baby - she will come out but is realistic about this which is fair enough

Also - can you lead the controls back to the cockpit? The couple I am looking at dont seem to have this - the winches are on the actual mast for the halyards etc - wondered if it would foul the larger than normal companionway hatch - and would it be v expensive to do this

aquaplane

www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk
Sailing Holidays have used them since Noah was a lad so they can't be all bad.

http://www.sailingholidays.com/

I had a Jauar 25 and would agree that they are not heavily built, but they are robust enough.

If you are only keeping the boat a couple of years I don't see much point altering lots of things to suit you, but it's your choice.

The 27 has better headroom than the 25 which is good.

The sloping bulkhead is a pain, it rains in if the washboards are out so you really need a spray hood or close everything up when it's raining.

I had other issues which were more related to learners in fluky/gusty winds on inland waters but hopefully they won't affect you.

HTH

Wunja

Visit site
I frequently sail my Jag 27 with a 12 year old crew - though he is 14 now.

Main halyard, two reefing lines and down haul are lead aft, there is just enough room between the grab handle and the hatch sliders for two or three lines per side, though no room for a winch, but its not necessary.

The only vice is that it will round up if over canvased and excessive heel.

Laurie

Visit site
Have had a J27 for 14 years, only selling last autumn.
These boats sail very well, & if (as any boat) it is well found/set up, is a comfortable and capable performer in a seaway. Ideal for a small family, and a great sub 30 foot cruiser that will go better than many of it's contemporaries.
Whilst it's true that they were "thrown " together, CYB the builders being at the forefront of modular volume construction, the fact that so many survive speaks for itself.
If it looks right, and the 27 does, then it probably is............

mezereon

Visit site
Have sailed J27s with Sailing Holidays a few times and now own a J25 (which is very similar). I don't have vast experience with other boats, so cant give a valid comparison, but I sail my J25 single handed and would be happy to do so in a J27. I lead my lines back to the cockpit, it wasn't hard to do.
If you're buying, the only unusual thing to watch-out for is the original ball-hed toilet. They aren't well liked these days, but you're pretty unlikely to come across one. (If you're unsure what kind you've got, look down the pan, if you can see out to the sea, it's a ball-hed.)

Laurie

Visit site
Have had a J27 for 14 years, only selling last autumn.
These boats sail very well, & if (as any boat) it is well found/set up, is a comfortable and capable performer in a seaway. Ideal for a small family, and a great sub 30 foot cruiser that will go better than many of it's contemporaries.
Whilst it's true that they were "thrown " together, CYB the builders being at the forefront of modular volume construction, the fact that so many survive speaks for itself.
If it looks right, and the 27 does, then it probably is............

If I can help with any further info., please give me a shout as I (as has been said before....) set up & ran the Jaguar assoc., for years......:)

Nick86

Visit site
Sorry to reply to such an old post. However, I have just purchased a Jag 27 as my first sailing boat on the east coast and wondered if you could provide any info re trending issues to watch out for etc. 1974 fin keel. It's a beautiful example and has been well cared for but as a novice to owning a boat I was curious.

Thanks in advance if I receive a reply

Nick

Laurie

Visit site
Sorry to reply to such an old post. However, I have just purchased a Jag 27 as my first sailing boat on the east coast and wondered if you could provide any info re trending issues to watch out for etc. 1974 fin keel. It's a beautiful example and has been well cared for but as a novice to owning a boat I was curious.

Thanks in advance if I receive a reply

Nick

Hi Nick ,

No worries, why be sorry!?:encouragement:...............….still have loads of stuff, please send PM with email and I'll send it off to you, or I'll leave an email address here.
The JOA/(me!) at the time produced a series of sheets, one of which covered exactly this for the 27.
But basically there is nothing SPECIFIC to this boat, just issues that may potentially be relevant to any boat of a similar age.
They sail beautifully and if set up well are well balanced, especially the fin keeler.

Al the best,

Laurie

simonfraser

Visit site
if you are thinking 'just' selling her in a few years time, make sure its is indeed easy to sell.
some boat are tough to shift.

Nick86

Visit site
Thanks Simon. This is a long term purchase so no intention of selling in the short term. You sound like someone coming from experience......

armchairsailor

Visit site
They're the most produced of any sailboat if I remember correctly, although mainly under the Catalina 27 guise. Pretty easy to handle. Might not have standing headroom if you're 5'11" or above. Must be relatively easy to sail if they got so many produced, quite quick, average build quality and basic accommodation I'd say. God starter boat - they were on my shortlist, but I ended up with something else (a Crown 28) instead as it was good for the price.

Laurie

Visit site
They're the most produced of any sailboat if I remember correctly, although mainly under the Catalina 27 guise. Pretty easy to handle. Might not have standing headroom if you're 5'11" or above. Must be relatively easy to sail if they got so many produced, quite quick, average build quality and basic accommodation I'd say. God starter boat - they were on my shortlist, but I ended up with something else (a Crown 28) instead as it was good for the price.

If you marry the Catalina And CYB boats...… in fact CYB exported some back to America. The wide coachroof gives unlimited headroom to most of the saloon area...……… sail very well and predictably...bit like a slightly smaller Trapper 28....

NICK 86...did you get the stuff I sent?

stu9000

Visit site
I have sailed my Jaguar 27 with a family of five for several seasons. She points well, has a balanced rig, feels very safe and is easy to handle. Good internal layout. A decent sized cockpit. Mine is the twin keeler. Decent keels so sails well but can also ghost up the Creek. Im not sure they were all as well founded as mine but Laurie owned Sunbird before me and all that love and knowledge still shows. Thanks Laurie.

Laurie

Visit site
I have sailed my Jaguar 27 with a family of five for several seasons. She points well, has a balanced rig, feels very safe and is easy to handle. Good internal layout. A decent sized cockpit. Mine is the twin keeler. Decent keels so sails well but can also ghost up the Creek. Im not sure they were all as well founded as mine but Laurie owned Sunbird before me and all that love and knowledge still shows. Thanks Laurie.

Oh thank you, so good to hear about her, and we still talk about her. I still go and look at 27s if I see one when visiting a marina!!

ghostlymoron

Visit site
We had one on a sailing holidays flotilla. It was the first big boat we had ever sailed but found it easy and safe. We had no problems, a great holiday and were voted the most boring crew because of our lack of incidents (we took this as a compliment).
Didn't like the dinette arrangement and bought a Mirage 28 soon after which is a much better boat with proper berths and headroom for not much more money.