JAC 16 Tracking Available

oldbilbo

Visit site
Er, not quite....Not yet.... as of 191030AMay

The 'linkman', Eric Landlauer, has still to make the inputs. Watch this space.... :cool:

There have been several retirements AFAIK - Bill Churchouse, Roy Tall, Colin Reid.

Tony Head/Triple Venture continues to forge on, as does Thom D'Arcy/Fathom and Duncan Sclare/Freebird. They are about clear of the oceanic 'drop off' WSW of Ushant.
Steve Hickey/Newlyn Maid is in Carrick Roads with rigging issues.
Colin Reid/Tui and Ertan Beskardes/Lokum are reported to have turned back.

Edit: 191215AMay - Guy Willing/Bluegrass has retired to Falmouth with forestay attachment ( mast head ) failure. Will return to Cowes 'as and 'when'.

Last edited:

oldbilbo

Visit site
From Tony Head/Triple Venture, certainly one of the most experienced of the present group..... 191840AMay

Have withdrawn from Jester Azores Challenge and am heading for UK under jib
in SW 22kt winds; ETA Plymouth Monday 23rd. Posn 1900A 19 May 46N52 10W12 co
050 spd 5.

Careful consideration of the RN Northwood and Hamburg weatherfaxes, plus USA
GRIB downloads clearly indicate strong winds on the nose continuing for the
next five days then a huge area of depression forming just north of the
Azores. I and my little boat have decided that this is one of those
occasions to accept that nature and its seas cannot always be beaten , at
least by us.

Very disappointing after all the effort of preparation etc but at least we
take slight comfort that we got 320 miles towards the Azores in testing
conditions without damage to self or boat.

oldbilbo

Visit site
Ocean Race Track has now been updated with all known participants and latest known positions here...

http://www.oceanracetrack.com/ortevent.aspx?id=37

With regret, somewhat out of date now with 4-6 retirements as of 191840AMay. Nevertheless, Duncan's input to OceanRaceTrack should be monitored, for a dozen other boats seem still to be heading into the big headwinds mentioned by Tony Head above.

oldbilbo

Visit site
Something to think about... from posts elsewhere....

At the skippers briefing you will be required to sign a chit to admit that it's really all your own fault. You could well reflect how easy that is compared to the Solo Fastnet race this summer. The skippers have a Notice of Race (6 pages), Risk Statement (2 pages), Check List (4 pages), Race & Safety Information Form (4 pages), Sailing Instructions (8 pages) and a Risk Assessment (16 pages) to wade through and sign off, and then have to shell out £375 for the privilege of sailing off over the horizon! The Risk Assessment got me smiling - under the scenario heading 'Boat hits rocks and is holed' section, one of the avoidability factors was listed as ... 'Lighthouse'.

The wonderful Jester approach is just to use commonsense and seamanship and spend the entry fee on something useful. Anyway, take care and have a wonderful time. And beware, Jester Challenging is very addictive!!

Also...

I am sugnificantly against the commercial influence on sailing. However, we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater. I have gone through a lot of ISAF inspections on a variety of craft. I also looked very hard at the mini transit sailors particularly the safety equipment. It can and is often argued that equipment and reliability of it can be perceived as a weakness. I argue that it is better to have than to need. My conclusion is get the best gear your pocket book can afford and figure out intelligently that which you can do without. I love the Jester challenge ethos which is based on self reliance which requires self reflection.

From recent 'scruteing' involvement during the preps for the Transat, I'm aware that a number of mandatory items of equipment seemed - to me and to the vastly-experienced singlehanded Multi50 skippers - rather pointless. e.g TWO horseshoe lifebuoys, very rudimentary, tiny first aid kits...... while other useful items had been dropped from the Regs - such as rocket flares.

This latter was due, apparently, to a very recent change of regs, and all the Multi50 boats still had them on board. Most skippers, being advised that they were no longer mandatory, retained them..... for they were considered a darned sight more useful than some of the other pyrotechnics demanded.

We agreed, 'preparateurs', skippers and 'scruteurs' to blame the idiocies on The Committee - with expressive Gallic shrugs all round.

One item NOT demanded, but certainly needed by one or two, was a helmet to protect the head from swinging furling gear, etc.

Besides simple 'box ticking', I used my modest involvement to ask questions/learn a little - both from the Transat and the Jester skippers a few days later - and I listened with interest as different individuals justified their belief in 'this and that' and not 'something else', both during the Transat preparations and among the Jesters gathered at the Tamar River Sailing Club a couple of miles from Sutton Harbour.

I hold the view that discussion and dialogue, perhaps through a venue such as this - or several such - is likely to be an effective channel for spreading knowledge, judgement, experience and ethos.

Perhaps a late-season seminar?

oldbilbo

Visit site
FYI...

JESTER AZORES CHALLENGE 2016

SITREP No. SIX 2015000AMay

INDIVIDUAL REPORTS

Colin Reid in Tui signalled, Hello Ewen, I am now anchored in Falmouth. Bluegrass is also here. All best, Colin

Tony Head in Triple Venture signalled last night: Have withdrawn from Jester Azores Challenge and am heading for UK under jib in SW 22kt winds; ETA Plymouth Monday 23rd. Posn 1900A 19 May 46N52 10W12 co 050 spd 5. Careful consideration of the RN Northwood and Hamburg weatherfaxes, plus USA GRIB downloads clearly indicate strong winds on the nose continuing for the next five days then a huge area of depression forming just north of the Azores. I and my little boat have decided that this is one of those occasions to accept that nature and its seas cannot always be beaten…at least by us. Very disappointing after all the effort of preparation etc but at least we
take slight comfort that we got 320 miles towards the Azores in testing conditions without damage to self or boat. Now - does anyone want 4 x 1 week home made "ration packs" comprising
everything required in the food line (except lavatory paper) to keep one person sustained for 4 x weeks in a boat? Each week packed in a waterproof plastic container. Offers in the form of surplus Azorian euros not accepted. The planning for the 2017 Jester Baltimore Challenege starts now ...

Psn at 1815 19 May was 46º.86128N; 10º.21350W

Ertan Beskardes in Lokum signalled last night: Good evening. It is with great regret that I have decided to return. I am now safely arrived at Falmouth. Very many thanks for wonderful experience and hope to return soon. Kind regards Ertan

Roger Fitzgerald in Ella Trout signalled today: Yes "we are now connected". I am sorry for the long delay it is a result of me not remembering exactly how to perform the various functions and not getting my sleep and feeding properly organised. Lack of sleep leads to lethargy which leads to not eating which leads to feeling rotten. Finally silenced those demons and back to 100%! (I like to think). Having caught up with all the signals from the other Jesters my trip so far has obviously been very similar to the other guys with a good start followed by a calm spell and then 30kts in the squalls; AND those fishermen! - Major contributor to loss of sleep! - At one time I had 20 around me constantly changing direction and setting off my Dangerous Target Alarm making me regret the smoke alarm sounder I fitted. I reach the point of uselessly shouting at the thing to "SHUT UP"!!!!! Ah well; why do we do these crazy things? My noon position for the first 5 days is as follows:

Monday 16th 49:21.4N 05:42.1W

Tuesday 17th 47:51.6N 06:42.6W

Wednesday 18th 46:57.8N 08:31.4W

Thursday 19th 45:08.9N 10:09.0W

Friday 20th 44:00.5N 11:11.7W

Currently off Finistère struggling to get west although I now see (having just got my first weather forecast (grib)) we may get a lift later today.

Basil Panarkis in Jaba signalled via Spot: 47º.17458N; 6º.62335W at 1156 today

Howard Chivers in Sandpiper signalled: Tony, My sympathy. I'm also looking hard at the big depression and trying to decide the best action. Howard

ARRIVALS

Not yet!

RETIREMENTS

Bill Churchouse in Belgean: retired into Plymouth, reason not known

Roy Tall in Spirit of Venus retired to Falmouth with an unexplained and incapacitating injury to his neck and back. Although recovered with the help of drugs he felt it was irresponsible to set off again and have the same thing happen ‘off soundings’. He is now en route for Southampton with a crew (Len Hiley?).

Ertan Beskardes in Lokum has retired safely to Falmouth.

Colin Reid in Tui has retired safely to Falmouth.

Guy Willing in Blue Grass has retired safely to Falmouth Yacht Haven with a broken masthead bracket supporting his forestay. He returned using storm jib set on inner forestay, now awaits a rigger, and will return home to Cowes 'as and when'...

Tony Head in Triple Venture is returning to Plymouth - all is well.

FUTURE SITREPS

This is an early Sitrep (unexpected as I suddenly had some spare time) but I will now be unable to send another until - probably - Sunday as I am away.

Moons’ls!

Ewen

Last edited:

oldbilbo

Visit site
This where it's at, tonight-ish, Saturday 21 May....

Positions21_zpsqfo9oa4f.jpg

Consider that in the light of what's whirling across the Atlantic out to the west....

Edit: It seems Thom/Fathom has anchored tonight in the Spanish Ria de Cedeira, so that our reports of position are clearly out-of-date.

Last edited:

Babylon

Visit site
La Voile magazine's online article on the challenge:
http://www.voilemagazine.com/2016/05/jester-azores-challenge-un-retour-aux-sources/

Google's translation (ignore the mis-translations like bridesmaid weather, the gist is there!):

Jester Azores Challenge: back to basics

We will not mind if you ignore all the Jester Azores Challenge whose departure was given on May 15 Plymouth at 13 am, French time. This is in strict anonymity that the 20 competitors set sail on the Island of Terceira by a breeze bridesmaid announced before the bad weather coming days. Probably some disgruntled people will not fail to note that a small twenty committed do not deserve interested. And that the fleet of monohulls with a length between 20 and 30 feet oblige- regulation does not justify the lines and lines. Yet the race is remarkable for its spirit appears as a return to the origins of the first edition of The Transat. By name Jester Challenge, she pays tribute to an iconic boat of the Transat 1960: Jester. The junk rig folkboat Colonel Blondie Hasler. Lieutenant Colonel Ewen Southby-Tailyour, 73, a veteran of the Falklands war, wrote a book on Blondie, hero of an unlikely commando kayaking on the Gironde in 1942 ... but that's another story. The other major feature of the Jester Azores Challenge, reliance on competitors. They only need to sign a waiver stating that they have on board all the safety equipment. However, even in bad weather, it does not matter for the organizers to postpone the start. It is noted in the race entries. Each of deciding whether to share or not. As for the fleet to which most British veteran of 79 years, Rodger Fitzgerald, she especially considering cruise ships, some equipped with a sailing junk.

A Voile Magazine, we bet on Julien Pipat who participated in trials of our newspaper and leads Bula. His boat: a long Robber 3 E 7.50 m in Britain that Julien has modified itself by remaking the bow to incorporate a bowsprit and replacing the old saffron by a two from scoops Nacira 6.50 m.

Julien Pipat and His Robber 3 E.Alumnus of the Nautical Institute in Britain, formerly stratifieur in the construction Eluère Thierry Julien, one of the two French of the event, held to provide an oceanic interlude in his antique business. Ultimate precision, no prize is awarded to competitors. In this test, we race for fun. Just for fun.