Jabsco water Filter Leaks what do little blue bits do

Whiterose

Visit site
Strange question. I have Jabsco Aqua Filta...generally ok however sometimes leaks. Not easily accessible , but fiddling at arms length the little blue leavers/ catches seem to have moved. What are these for ?
Where is best priced place to buy these filters?Or is it better to change to something else or do with out filter?
Cheers
Rich

VicS

Visit site
Strange question. I have Jabsco Aqua Filta...generally ok however sometimes leaks. Not easily accessible , but fiddling at arms length the little blue leavers/ catches seem to have moved. What are these for ?
Where is best priced place to buy these filters?Or is it better to change to something else or do with out filter?
Cheers
Rich

Just a guess but do they operate the internal valves that allow you to change the cartridge without draining the pipework ?

Up to you whether of not you can do without the "benefits " of the filter

ashtead

Visit site
Our filter just screws on so puzzled by leavers. It's quite hard to remove the old one but just need to turn off pump electrics and run water out and perhaps use a wet cloth to help grip the old canister or I suppose a fuel filter type winch . They certainly make a difference and are cheaper to other purifiers as fitted to Island packets etc but don't have a dedicated tap . Generally happy with water and maes tank water fine for kettle usage or coffee maker etc. Don't tend to change as regularly as suggested by makers though .

Hydrozoan

Visit site
I no longer use one - and may be mis-remembering - but the only things I recall answering the description were, I believe, clips to lock the pipe 'nozzles' into the housing - and they did not need to be released to change the filter.

charles_reed

Visit site
I no longer use one - and may be mis-remembering - but the only things I recall answering the description were, I believe, clips to lock the pipe 'nozzles' into the housing - and they did not need to be released to change the filter.

Agreed, from memory, being the catches for inlet and outlet pipes.

I've given up on the Jabsco filters, too expensive, inefficient and needing changing too often.
They do take tastes and odours out of the water, though.

garvellachs

Visit site
Cheers
Rich

We have one of these and have used them for many years. The blue clips push in to hold the inlet and outlet hoses in place. Pull them out to release the hoses. Perhaps they are not pushed home and that is why the filter leaks? If I remember correctly, the clips are under the hoses so they push up to fix and pull down to release.

wagonicfolding

Visit site
Has anyone cleaned it recently? ie. is there any possibility it was put back together incorrectly?

If that’s not it, then it might be the O ring around the top of the unit. They’re made of rubber and the seal fails eventually. How old is it? You could try checking the seal there, and replacing the rubber piece around the rim if you need to (they sell replacements online, as well as at some Lfs)

Lucy52

Visit site
I changed a similar filter from Penguin last week. I did it up and all was well. When I came back later I found water was leaking out and flooding the bilge. No tightening would stop it. I decided to buy a new O ring, I measured the thickness of the new one when it came and it was pretty much the same as old one. I believe the old one had hardened and the softer new one sealed the leak. Three days with no water pump, hard to get to flood under the tank in the deep bilge and then had to refill the tank.:(

tymonk

Visit site
Apologies reviving an old thread. One of these came with my boat. I took the old filter off and put it back without a problem. After replacing it it is leaking where the cartridge threads on. It's also at a slightly awkward angle. I took a pic to see where the O-ring sits (the instructions just say to put it on the threads, and screw on the carrtidge) and all the way at the top is a notch where the cartridge clicks into place. I imagine the O-ring should sit underneath this to create a seal, but threading on the cartridge pushes up the O-ring to where it is in the pics. Anybody else struggled with this? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2685.jpg
    IMG_2685.jpg
    672.2 KB · Views: 9

johnalison

Visit site
I can’t see clearly from the photo, but it doesn’t look right. Not being on the boat at the moment, I have to rely on memory, but I have never had a problem with the O ring, which just sits on the filter above the thread. I always put some Teflon grease on the thread as it can be quite hard to screw it in full, where there is a marker to show the right point.

tymonk

Visit site
I can’t see clearly from the photo, but it doesn’t look right. Not being on the boat at the moment, I have to rely on memory, but I have never had a problem with the O ring, which just sits on the filter above the thread. I always put some Teflon grease on the thread as it can be quite hard to screw it in full, where there is a marker to show the right point.

Thanks. Yes the little notch is where the markers meet. I assume the O-ring needs to come down...

Other threads that may be of interest