It's sailing Jim but not as we know it.

G

It\'s sailing Jim but not as we know it.

As a serial sailor, with many types of boat in the log book, I going to try a new experience on my next charter. A great big catamaran. It looks like the "Starship Enterprise" on skis. Anyone know anything about these things? I got a top ten finish in a Dart catamaran years ago but I don't think the crew, of 8, would appreciate the hull flying technique of that outing.

Tom

G

Sit back and enjoy...

the fact that your gin and tonic will stay on the table at 10 knots to windward and you will have so much space you won't be able to find anything.

Forget Darts. 40ft cruising cats have as much in common with them as the QEII has with a Glastron GTsomething. There is very little sensation of speed, even when you really are going quite quickly on a close reach. To windward they tend to bang and crash about a bit and not go much faster than a monohull. If you are having to hike it out you are probably doing something wrong.

A word of warning - some peope find the quick, jerky motion of a cat in a seaway quite off putting. It takes a while to convert your sealegs from one hull to two.

G

Tell us all about it when you get back

That's a request, Tom, not a demand.

It should be fun - hope it's somewher sunny.

G

Re: It\'s sailing Jim but not as we know it.

A bit, but surely the fun is in finding out for yourself. But it will be full mugs of whatever, never could understand why people prefer half mugs when they can have a full one, just needs a slight shift in thinking.

G

Re: True but...

I tend to do my learning with an audience. I could end up being that full mug.

Tom

G

Re: You should know me better than that..

I wont be able to resist telling you all about it and I'm too dim to sail in the sun. Should be fun though.

Tom

G

Re: True but...

The way things are going at the moment I could do with a good laugh. So please come to Galicia if you promise to give me one. W