It's official we can now go sailing again!

Babylon

Visit site
Lots of paddle-boarders, kayakers and a good number of families in swimming-pool quality inflatables enjoying the sunshine on the river when I was relaunched and motored down to my mooring yesterday afternoon. I was genuinely happy for everyone who was able to enjoy the unusual peace and safety of a normally crowded and hectic place. My own happiness was almost but not quite dented when, on the way downriver, a very large motorboat kept coming at me on my side of the channel: so I held the course and speed of my very little ship and when I got really close he chickened out! So it'll soon be business as usual again - best enjoy the civilised quiet whatever the restrictions!

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
I am told Essex police have the found time to go round marinas looking for people staying overnight and checking charter fishing boats in case they gave too many people onboard

Brooksie89

Visit site
I am told Essex police have the found time to go round marinas looking for people staying overnight and checking charter fishing boats in case they gave too many people onboard

If that's true, that is totally pathetic. House gets burgled? Here's your crime reference number. Get mugged? Here's your crime reference number. Spot illegal drug activity? Not interested.

Dab

Visit site
I would like to get back on the water at some stage in the next weeks. I am not interested in staying on the boat overnight, but I would like to visit somewhere, at least for a short stay alongside, and maybe go ashore. Most of what I can find on the internet suggests that almost all the marinas in the Solent are not open for short stay visits. As far as I can tell you can't short stay in the Hamble or Cowes or Beaulieu. Lymington say you can. Does any one know what the score is in Portsmouth or Chichester or any other places. Is this being driven by Harbour Masters or marina chains or both?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
If that's true, that is totally pathetic. House gets burgled? Here's your crime reference number. Get mugged? Here's your crime reference number. Spot illegal drug activity? Not interested.
... but if you something which risks prolonging a pandemic which has already killed 50,000 people in the UK, the police take an interest. Outrageous.

Last edited:

greeny

Visit site
Not doubting your statement about Defra but the link you have attached is from the caravan club and not DEFRA so it is only their interpretation. On top of that it's about caravans or did I miss something.
Can you show a link to take us to a statement from DEFRA themselves. Did you miss it off?
The caravan club statement has no bearing on my ability to stay on a boat in my opinion. A statement direct from government may do. As yet I haven't actually seen one.
Duck! incoming!

SimonFa

Visit site
It is the government I am afraid. DEFRA have been in contact with all the marinas. No overnight stays in holiday homes, caravans or boats. We may have to wait until July according to the Caravan Club, Coronavirus (COVID-19) guidance :(
According to an article in today's Sunday Telegraph the Countryside Alliance has asked that English campsites, holiday cottages and pubs with beer gardens be allowed to open.

Their not unreasonable argument is that people are allowed to drive to the countryside but local businesses can't benefit and its causing resentment amongst locals. Their fear is that it will open a rural divide with rural dwellers fearful of of an influx of people with the coronavirus. I'm not aware of any resentment around me but a friend who goes caving on Portland says he's heard of some threats and the British Caving Association has asked members not to go caving for fear of causing resentment in rural areas.

Lucy52

Visit site
Stated in relation to all forms of watersport and other outdoor activities.

Coronavirus – guidance on accessing green spaces safely

"There are no restrictions on how far you can travel to get to the countryside. However you should not stay overnight."

Information on marina contact came directly from the owner. There is also a "Minister for Marinas" which I think means "Minister with responsibility for Marinas". They have spoken with him on the phone and can contact him if needed.

Mark-1

Visit site
British Caving Association has asked members not to go caving for fear of causing resentment in rural areas.

For the purposes of avoiding spreading CV, Caving is definitely not an 'outdoor' activity. Unless we're talking about very large very well ventilated caves with very few people in them.

greeny

Visit site
Stated in relation to all forms of watersport and other outdoor activities.

Coronavirus – guidance on accessing green spaces safely

"There are no restrictions on how far you can travel to get to the countryside. However you should not stay overnight."

Information on marina contact came directly from the owner. There is also a "Minister for Marinas" which I think means "Minister with responsibility for Marinas". They have spoken with him on the phone and can contact him if needed.

Still no mention of staying overnight on a boat. Why are we so intent on finding something to stop us doing the things that we love.
It must be a desire to feel persecuted.
I'm afraid that anecdotal telephone conversations with "government" people hold no credence with me.
The marinas etc are hiding behind this type of misinformation and even propagating it. In my opinion, its clear they don't want us there but won't actually man up and say that.
It's at this stage where there is no real reason to not access and sleep on your boat in most cases, I would be asking for total refund of marinas costs as they are not fulfilling the contract with you. Up to now I would agree that a small discount has been acceptable due to their hands being tied in their ability to provide that service. Now there is no real excuse so they make one up.

Last edited:

Brooksie89

Visit site
... but if you something which risks prolonging a pandemic which has already killed 50,000 people in the UK, the police take an interest. Outrageous.

Theres a particular bar in Clacton that has been open with people inside and out, buying drinks and sitting next to their mates rubbing shoulders. This started weeks ago. Police response "we're monitoring it". Still open.

Picking on soft targets as usual. Pathetic.

penberth3

Visit site
For the purposes of avoiding spreading CV, Caving is definitely not an 'outdoor' activity. Unless we're talking about very large very well ventilated caves with very few people in them.

That wasn't the point - it's about staying on good terms with local communities, who may not be too happy about the recent crowds.

Blue Sunray

Visit site
Theres a particular bar in Clacton that has been open with people inside and out, buying drinks and sitting next to their mates rubbing shoulders. This started weeks ago. Police response "we're monitoring it". Still open.

Picking on soft targets as usual. Pathetic.

The Police possibly feel that Darwin's theory should be allowed free rein.