It's official we can now go sailing again!

st599

Visit site
The BBC specifically said boating activities were allowed.It is going to be in the paper published tomorrow.
No, they said outdoor watersports. Is a boat with a cabin an outdoor watersport?

He also said employers had to follow Covid Guidelines to safeguard staff. What are they? How are they implemented in Marinas?

chris-s

Visit site
And the message from our boatyard (ten minute drive away and which has no onsite staff), remaining closed until end of May, all access is verboten.

st599

Visit site
......yes? What else would you call it?
You're not outside when you're in the cabin. Therefore the rules may mean a boat with no cabin. Until the regulations are amended, we have no idea what the bumbling meant.

RYA have a webinar with clubs, marinas and facilities providers where they'll be explaining what government meant. I'll see what that says.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Sailing on Lake Solent is going to rather different while the same household rules are in place as sailing school charter boats and racing fleets will be rather scarce

Brooksie89

Visit site
You're not outside when you're in the cabin. Therefore the rules may mean a boat with no cabin. Until the regulations are amended, we have no idea what the bumbling meant.

RYA have a webinar with clubs, marinas and facilities providers where they'll be explaining what government meant. I'll see what that says.

RYA can say what they like. I'm on a swing mooring, and I'll sit outside the whole time for you if you like :ROFLMAO:

Ian_Rob

Visit site
Perhaps it was meant meant to have an air of irony but the title of this thread is totally misleading. Nothing of the sort was said.

I want to get back onto the water as much as anybody and barely a few hours goes by when I don’t think about doing so but there is an increasing air of caution being thrown to the wind combined with a preparedness to look for the loophole rather than for the greater good, that makes me fear not only for the rest of this season but also next.

I hope I am wrong.

Oceanracing

Visit site
MDL have just emailed all berth holders to say that they "look forward to welcoming people coming to perform maintenance and security checks on their boats", but they also said that as far as they were concerned recreational boating was still banned (and blamed port authorities?!).
They also said "we’ll be making an exciting announcement that underpins all of the reasons for continuing to berth with MDL" which I'm hoping is a nice rebate on two months of berthing. Bet it'll just be a shower refurbishment though.
No they didn't they said they were "waiting for any leisure boating changes from the port authorities and will keep you updated with any changes". Its not for MDL to make any decisions in relation to access to the water, it's one for the authorities. They can only go on port authority advice which they are waiting for. The latest update from Southampton port is clear. Not with standing that I look forward to advice being updated. https://www.mdlmarinas.co.uk/sites/default/files/2020_no_15_t_covid_19_-_recreational_boating.pdf

John the kiwi

Visit site
Does this mean I can drive down to the South Coast, access my boat from a yacht-club, marina or slipway (had the foresight to take the inflatable and outboard home), drop her mooring-lines and sail to Newtown Creek to anchor, then go ashore with the puppy for a walk - later stop in at Yarmouth for victuals before heading for Studland Bay to anchor, etc?
So long as no sea horses are harmed...

Triassic

Visit site
No responsible port authority or any other organisation for that matter is going to change what they are doing on the word of a politician, even the Prime Minister, and they would be fools if they did. They will quite rightly wait for the legislation to be published and then take a position from that. Surely people's memories on here are not to poor that they cannot remember the subtle differences between Boris's original address to the nation and the legislation that followed a few days later?

At the moment it remains illegal to be away from home without a reasonable excuse and going recreational sailing is pretty much considered not to qualify, although you have been free to challenge that for the past seven weeks......

Boris said a lot but most of what he was advocating could quite reasonably be done within the current legislation (so no real change apart from his slant on what might be reasonable) , however he made several references to "from Wednesday" which suggests a change in the legislation....and that is what will trigger some real change.