Italian ports declared unsafe

Yngmar

Visit site
Source: Italy declares own ports 'unsafe' to stop migrants arriving

Another dubious measure aimed at keeping rescued migrants out of the country, but this isn't the place to discuss that. However, the part that affects all sailors is this:

Italian ports cannot be classified as ‘safe places’ for the landing of people rescued from boats flying a foreign flag

That would be most cruisers too, in case we have an emergency. Even the local boats that sometimes fly a Belgian or Dutch flag.

Supposedly this is only during the Covid-19 crisis, where pleasure boating is currently not permitted anyways. But cargo shipping continues and most of those ships are foreign flagged. And what if this decree isn't cancelled yet when the restrictions are finally eased?

MapisM

Visit site
Another dubious measure aimed at keeping rescued migrants out of the country, but this isn't the place to discuss that.
If you think this isn't the place, why calling it "another dubious measure", to start with?
Just questioning the method, mind. I agree that this isn't.

Ref. your points:
1) for cruisers, as you correctly point out, it's non applicable, since pleasure boating is currently subject to lockdown.
2) for cargo shipping, I guess it would be applicable, but I've yet to hear of tankers or whatever patrolling the Libyan coasts to collect migrants.
3) lastly, I'd rather postpone the debate on your "what if" to whenever it should materialize, which I very much doubt.

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Seems very reasonable approach , you have no idea if they have an infection aboard , and bringing in hundreds of people , can infect a Port town very fast.
I would also presume that freight by sea is an essential duty to feed and heat the Italian people

MapisM

Visit site
I would also presume that freight by sea is an essential duty to feed and heat the Italian people
Just in case point #2 in my previous post might be misunderstood, cargo shipping as such is totally unaffected by what the OP is reporting.
It WOULD be affected only in the event that a cargo ship should ask to land people rescued at sea - which is practically unheard of, though theoretically possible of course.

Yngmar

Visit site
It's not specific to migrants. If someone is rescued from a cargo ship (such as the crew of the tanker that recently broke in half off Malta), this rescued crew wouldn't be allowed to be brought on land in any Italian port. Bit like if the RNLI wouldn't be allowed to bring a rescued French sailor ashore in the UK.

MapisM

Visit site
It's not specific to migrants. If someone is rescued from a cargo ship (such as the crew of the tanker that recently broke in half off Malta), this rescued crew wouldn't be allowed to be brought on land in any Italian port. Bit like if the RNLI wouldn't be allowed to bring a rescued French sailor ashore in the UK.
It's not specific to migrants because that would be illegal, but it's clearly aimed at that very specific problem.
Do tell Yngmar, you are unaware of what the real business of these non-Italian NGOs is all about, I suppose?

In fact, your comparison is totally wrong.
SAR service in IT is handled by the Coast Guard, which remains fully entitled to bring back to any IT port rescued sailors, tanker crew members, or also migrants, for that matter.
Same would go for an Italian RNLI, if there were such thing and if they were flying an IT flag.
It's not like the RNLI boats are flying a German/Dutch/whatever flag, are they?

FlyingGoose

Visit site
I would assume any rescued sailor , migrant, would have to be isolated and in lock down , No idea if any country has this facility or though about it ..
Obviously there will be places for citizens but not sure about foreign nationals , worth investigating more

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I would assume any rescued sailor , migrant, would have to be isolated and in lock down , No idea if any country has this facility or though about it ..
Obviously there will be places for citizens but not sure about foreign nationals , worth investigating more
You may be interested to know , there are country's where a boat entry is from out side the country the crew have to leave the boat and at there own cost go into accommodate to quarantine.

FlyingGoose

Visit site
My brother is in the same situation , he is on a vessel outside New Guinea , and not allowed entry to Darwin or Singapore , he is based in Australia , but is not an Australian citizen but has residency, His wife has been trying to get him of the boat as she needs to get back to work as a critical care Nurse , (1 year old )
The boat flys a french flag and his working time was up 3 weeks ago
The Australian Government has agreed to give him entry in Australia and a boat to pick him of the boat and a flight to Sydney, but he lives in Adelaide and needs to self Isolate in a hotel for 2 weeks then another 2 weeks as he passes the state line what a Journey , I assume plenty others sitting it out on large ships anchored off shore

sailaboutvic

Visit site
If I may say at the moment we still have some people who think they can still sailing about doing as they please .
Thinking the worst that will happen if they get caught is they made to go into quarantine on they boat , once that done they can move on .
If they made boats entering other country's to go into a marina and every crew having to pay for accommodation, it put a stop to it over night .

sailaboutvic

Visit site
You may like to take a look at this photo and you have to wonder if these people or should I say guys are running from war torn country running for there life's or just looking at going some where new to find jobs .

Attachments

• IMG_0209.JPG
    IMG_0209.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 21