Isotherm fridge thermostat probs

GHA

Visit site
Pretty sure it's the thermostat, seems to run OK with a jumper lead across terminals C & T on the 101n022controller.

So is it common for a thermostat to go?

Should I just bite the bullet and order a new one or are they fixable?

Fan's gone as well.

charles_reed

Visit site
Pretty sure it's the thermostat, seems to run OK with a jumper lead across terminals C & T on the 101n022controller.

Fan's gone as well.

Never had mine go (yet) but have had problems with ice around it causing the unit to cut out.

Fans go quite frequently, just replace with a computer cooling fan - I'm using a 140mm one which moves considerably more air than the standard one.
Buying from the manufacturer is likely to be expensive - they're all proprietary items.

GHA

Visit site
Never had mine go (yet) but have had problems with ice around it causing the unit to cut out.

Fans go quite frequently, just replace with a computer cooling fan - I'm using a 140mm one which moves considerably more air than the standard one.
Buying from the manufacturer is likely to be expensive - they're all proprietary items.
Cheers, the capillary pipe snapped when I was in there trying to have a look so its definitely bust now! :)
Tempting to make one with a little arduino board and some waterproof temp sensors. Wouldn't cost much & there's a few sensors on board already. .

GHA

Visit site
Thanks all, I've got an arduino uno talking to a temp sensor within half a degree of a digital thermometer so at least if I should be able to get something rigged up so i dont have to keep switching the fridge on and off.

What temp range though?
Was thing switch on at 5deg the off at 3deg
Sound about right?

ps
sensor is one of these
http://www.maximintegrated.com/datasheet/index.mvp/id/2812

Last edited:

GHA

Visit site
has anyone tried a little fan inside the fridge blowing across the evaporator plate?
Might give it a go.

So now we're looking at an arduino, temp sensors top and bottom of the fridge and one on the compressor with the arduino varispeeding fans in the fridge and maybe a couple on the compressor since they're so cheap. Just a bit of wiring , some easy programming and probably cost less than a new thermostat. :cool:

oldvarnish

Visit site
has anyone tried a little fan inside the fridge blowing across the evaporator plate?

Yes, I did that in the tropics, as recommended by someone on here. It's difficult to be certain, but the fridge seemed to run for less time than I expected.

GrahamM376

Visit site
According to the fridge repairer I bought one from for our Isotherm, they're standard domestic thermostats, the main differences being the lengths of the capillary pipe. Just being a switch, operating voltage not a worry.

GHA

Visit site
A COTS electronic unit as per post #4 is far prettier, boxed and housed with a nice display and probably costs less than an arduino setup anyway.

I used a Dixel unit.
Arduino is less than a tenner, is working as we speak and soon will varispeed fans, log current draw/voltage and temp over time (with some other bits i have already) , and generally is so much more fun :) :)

Will probably add couple of quid for a display and a few pennies for some transistors to control the fans inside and at the compressor.
Maybe a little half hour sleep button for receiving weatherfaxes, so many times I've forgot to turn it on again...

So for the boffins - controlling brushless fans using PWM/transistors - any little points of interest lie along that road?

www.bavariayacht.info
Arduino is less than a tenner, is working as we speak and soon will varispeed fans, log current draw/voltage and temp over time (with some other bits i have already) , and generally is so much more fun :)
One thing I've always thought would be a good idea, reducing the fan speed a little at night, or perhaps when it's dark (or indeed otherwise quiet).

SimonJ

Returned to Caribbean for the winter, back to uk f
Visit site
Fridge thermostat

Fan's gone as well.

I did the same check as you & found the thermostat had failed. But it was in continual use for about 6 years in and out of the tropics. Do problem am be common!

GHA

Visit site
14 hours of fridge :)
Think the breadboard lead to the fridge from the transistor got pulled out for a while before 04:00.

fridge2nd_zps4315d900.jpg

GHA

Visit site
And with the evaporator plate temp as well....

So, what's the most efficient way to run a fridge....?

I'm thinking pump on about 4 deg and off at 5, is that OK to keep food in?

fridge3rd_zps241dd89a.jpg

GHA

Visit site
As this might end up permanent and those little sensor are so cheap, why not bang a few more in, with the choice of triggering an alarm as well.

First things come to mind are exhaust water trap, stuffing box and alternator - think of any more?