Is traditional 100% cotton sailcloth obtainable in the UK ?

nicholasjohnstuart

Visit site
I have over several months made an exhaustive search of every possible likely source for traditional heavy canvas sailcloth in the UK and my search has drawn a blank. If anyone knows of a supplier I would be grateful. ( Standard lightweight tent canvas fabrics are available from the conventional fabric suppliers but obviously this is not sailcloth standard).
I am not (yet !) an eco-warrior but it does seem a shame that in these enlightened times with an increasing awareness of the perils of plastics that (apparently) not one marine/sailcoth supplier offers traditional plastic free sailcloth. I surely cannot be the only person who is conscience stricken enough to be interested in traditional canvas sailcloth , though from the response that I have had have the idea has been met with complete apathy - My impression is that anyone who would possibly consider anything but plastic must be downright potty !

Wansworth

Visit site
What about Flax?....stretch is the biggest problem along with mildew if the sails are covered still being damp.You could save the planet by buying second hand sails or modifying same,they are made so the damage is done!

wombat88

Visit site
It was sometimes called Egyptian cotton. The CVRDA used to have a 'Cotton Sails Challenge' but I think no longer.

Have you spoken to Batt Sails?

I occasionally sail an old dinghy with original cotton sails. I take your point about plastics but cotton sails are a pain, go mouldy and furthermore, if you 'go over' they become very heavy and take an age to dry. The idea is laudable but I fear impractical and from a performance point of view a big step backward.

Far rather recycle by taking old discarded sails and re-making/cutting them, not easy though to make a good job.

Do you have a specific requirement? I may have some cotton sails in the attic....

nicholasjohnstuart

Visit site
Many thanks for the responses, I will certainly follow up the recommendations thankyou. I am actually looking for heavy sail canvas so dinghy sails would probably not really be suitable.
I thought I would raise the subject because I was genuinely surprised that plastic seems to be the only option. Surely I cannot be alone in thinking that with the current state of the world this needs to change ? It seems somehow ironic that the marine industry is one of the heaviest users of plastic on the planet given the "close to nature" philosophy of yachting . Sorry to go on . I don't mean to preach or anything , but it genuinely is a bit of a shame, in all senses.

Wansworth

Visit site
The marine industry has indeed been a creator of tons of plastic,that cannot be undone but the industry has created truck loads of fittings and rigging and everything which you can recycle into a boat,cutting down trees to make a new eco boat seems unnessary.

nicholasjohnstuart

Visit site
The marine industry has indeed been a creator of tons of plastic,that cannot be undone but the industry has created truck loads of fittings and rigging and everything which you can recycle into a boat,cutting down trees to make a new eco boat seems unnessary.
I agree, But surely, in this day and age would it not be appropriate that traditional sail cloth was at least an option. After all, we managed fine with it for a 1000 years or so.

Wansworth

Visit site
I agree, But surely, in this day and age would it not be appropriate that traditional sail cloth was at least an option. After all, we managed fine with it for a 1000 years or so.
No you go ahead with cotton sails but they are a problem regarding damp and stretch,we did indeed as that was the only material available along with Flax for sails,but then we had boatmen who looked after yachts men’s boats,they had sail lofts for drying out,I think it was back in the early 1950 people had doubts about terry line sail cloth and preferred cotton,aka Eric Hiscock

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
I had a suit for a 37ft gaff cutter made by Gayle Heard, back in 1985, in a Dutch cotton/Terylene mixture, heavy, proofed in the bolt, and the boat is still using them now. This seemed to be an ideal material but Gayle was not able to get any more of it.

I would be interested in a cotton suit for my vintage 14.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
It's worth remembering that canvas was originally made from hemp fibre, not cotton. Indeed, the word "canvas" has the same root as "cannabis", which is the taxonomic genus to which hemp belongs as well as it's well-known meaning! Hemp has a longer fibre, so it is stronger than cotton. Hemp is grown for both fibre and oil; the varieties grown are selected to have low levels of the substances that make people smile a lot!

nicholasjohnstuart

Visit site
Sincere thanks to everyone who has taken the trouble to reply. I should have made it clear that my enquiry Included flax, but as this is now even more obscure than cotton canvas sailcloth I think there is very little chance of finding the really traditional hemp sail fabric.
I have industrial machines and so I am really looking for a supplier of new sailcloth fabric over 12oz.

I agree that natural fibre production is certainly not without some environmental impact regarding pesticide, water consumption etc. but I am sure that most would conclude that it is incorrect in any sense to compare natural fibre production and use with the long term effects of the production and use of synthetics, the micro-plastics of which are acknowledged to be devastating to ocean life, and indeed the planet. Surely anyone who has a passion and love for the sea should seek to protect it in any possible way they can ?
I must admit that I am completely biased, having avoided plastics since they began to be widely introduced in the fifties,
Is it possible that an underlying problem may be one of Perception and Attitude ? From some of the comments one cannot help but feel that many people are simply unable to entertain or tolerate the thought of the inconvenience that they might be caused by having to give up something that is now perceived as the normal accepted way of doing things.
Please believe that I have no intention to offend anyone and thought to join just briefly in order to try and source material and hopefully at the same time raise interest in an important and worthwhile issue. Enough ! - I shall depart !

RJJ

Visit site
Have to agree the sailing industry as a whole is pretty poor...

But in my view the plastic sails (which last ten years or more for the average private usage) pale into insignificance next to food packaging (for everyone), and against the proliferation of new, barely-used yachts when second hand would do.