Is the Southampton Boat Show going to be cancelled?

[165264]

Visit site
Yes, some of us bought some Chloroquine 4 weeks ago, though had to tell a fib and say it was for travel. I'd only take it if I started to feel ILL, rather than just a little off colour with a cough, though there is no hard evidence yet, nor when, if ever to take it. But it's been around for a long time, and is safe taken in a sensible dose.

CLB

Visit site
I think it's going to be touch and go. The current guesstimate is 6 months before we return to normality. That would just about allow it to go ahead, but may not allow enough time for the organisers and exhibitors to prepare.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Already got a boat & plenty of kit. Cannot see the point in going to these shows any more. But then I have never been one for shopping malls either, if I do not want a specific item. Why queue to go on a 50 ft boat when one can only afford a dinghy.
As for drugs to beat the virus- Even if one is found it will take months to get it produced in sufficient numbers & distributed to the population to be effective

Sharky34

Visit site
Yes, some of us bought some Chloroquine 4 weeks ago, though had to tell a fib and say it was for travel. I'd only take it if I started to feel ILL, rather than just a little off colour with a cough, though there is no hard evidence yet, nor when, if ever to take it. But it's been around for a long time, and is safe taken in a sensible dose.
If its that easy, why aren't the big pharma companies churning it out.
Seems like false news posting.

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
I don't think the Southampton Boatshow will go ahead. It's so expensive to exhibit, that making a decision to go or not might mean life or death of a lot of companies.

The irony would be that 'to go' would burn a whole load of cash from a business just coming out of a very lean time and probably force it to go under, but if you don't go, the public will think you've already gone under.

Sharky34

Visit site
I don't think the Southampton Boatshow will go ahead. It's so expensive to exhibit, that making a decision to go or not might mean life or death of a lot of companies.

The irony would be that 'to go' would burn a whole load of cash from a business just coming out of a very lean time and probably force it to go under, but if you don't go, the public will think you've already gone under.
With current experience of lock down here & on continent/med, do you really think people will be rushing to buy?

Daydream believer

Visit site
Can you imagine how large companies who are used to selling large numbers of yachts per annum are going to cope with the inevitable drop in sales. Some financed by a large venture capitalist may carry on, or the owner may just decide to cut & run. Beneteau et alia must be feeling the pinch. True they may get French aid, but France, like the UK, now has many industries to support.
Italian companies will get little support. Dutch may fair better as I suspect the Netherlands have their finances better organised

Last edited:

newtothis

Visit site
Can you imagine how large companies who are used to selling large numbers of yachts per annum are going to cope with the inevitable drop in sales. Some financed by a large venture capitalist may carry on, or the owner may just decide to cut & run. Beneteau et alia must be feeling the pinch. True they may get French aid, but France, like the UK, now has many industries to support.
Italian companies will get little support. Dutch may fair better as I suspect the Netherlands have their finances better organised

Those with VC and private equity backing will be among the first against the wall. The vultures need feeding and can spot a famine a mile off. They will cut and run in search of a margin elsewhere.

Sandyshore

Visit site
Southampton is billed as the Southampton International Boat Show.
Can not see it being International!
Monaco the week after Southampton has been cancelled as a result of Coronavirus and planning/lead up time required.
An earlier marine trade show using the same park in Southampton and pontoons shared with Southampton International Boat Show has been cancelled.
My money on event to be cancelled in any event if season starts late and weather good rather be on the water .

Talulah

Visit site
I would expect SBS to be cancelled but the more local boat shows to be better attended by both exhibitors and public.
These local shows being spread out through the year.
Places like Swanwick Marina could really grow their boat shows to the detriment of SBS.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Let’s hope by July some sanity will have returned to world -I sure many marine business rely on Soton for future sales And jobs so we should be positive that It goes ahead.
If it is as quiet as it was when we attended last year, a lovely sunny Saturday, social distancing will not be a problem!