Is the Caribbean a solution to 90/180?

atol

Visit site
This is a really brilliant and informative thread - for two liveaboards who were planning the Med last year, but now from April, and now have doubts re the S factor as well as covid...so the Caribbean point is of real interest. Our issue is that our boat is our only home. A lot of the comments re the Caribbean ( which we were thinking, originally, in 5 years after the Med) relate to returning ' home' to the UK for six months. What if you can't do this? What are cruisers experiences/ recommendations on strategies?
not an issue in the windward islands of the caribbean as you get 3 months visa on entry,which can be extended for a further 3 months in all the independent ex commonwealth islands which are on average between 30 to 90 miles apart.
during hurricane season some head south to carriacou ,grenada and trinidad,then head north up the island chain in dec to june spending 99.9% of you time on anchor,which is mostly free

Last edited:

BurnitBlue

Visit site
@BurnitBlue have a look at some of the Caribbean brokers - or just do an 'advanced' search on www.yachtworld.co.uk and include the Caribbean area as the location, and see what turns up?

Does anything here take your fancy?
BVI Yacht Sales
That Monsun 31 in a heartbeat. I had a look around the BVI site but got no info about which $ they are listing, The Caribbean dollar or the US dollar. I dare not look myself because it would be yet another decision to agonise over, but others may find it usefull. Thanks for that.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
not an issue in the windward islands of the caribbean as you get 3 months visa on entry,which can be extended for a further 3 months in all the independent ex commonwealth islands which are on average between 30 to 90 miles apart.
during hurricane season some head south to carriacou ,grenada and trinidad,then head north up the island chain in dec to june spending 99.9% of you time on anchor,which is mostly free
You make special mention of independent commonwealth islands, is that because the French and Dutch islands are in Schengen. Surely not, but probably not important anyway as the next country is only 30 miles away.

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
@ sea devil.

Thanks for the link and suggestion to look around the web for boatyard storage stuff. I have heard that the a,b,c, islands are very restrictive these days. No anchoring allowed, limited number of yachts allowed to enter. To protect the coral, and reefs. Good thing i suppose. Plenty of other islands.
When I was there (all 3) there were severe anchoring restrictions but laid mooring buoys were available. There are also marinas but I did not enquire about vacant slips... Bet stacks of Dutch people have from the Netherlands keep boats there.. In normal times charter flights are so cheap

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
That Monsun 31 in a heartbeat. I had a look around the BVI site but got no info about which $ they are listing, The Caribbean dollar or the US dollar. I dare not look myself because it would be yet another decision to agonise over, but others may find it usefull. Thanks for that.
US dollar for sure...

atol

Visit site
You make special mention of independent commonwealth islands, is that because the French and Dutch islands are in Schengen. Surely not, but probably not important anyway as the next country is only 30 miles away.
i said independent for anybody that might be confused about commonwealth status
,IE you can spend up to 6 months in each island nation without leaving on a tourist visa
martinique and guadaloupe are shengan so 90/180,not sure about netherlands antillies, SXM and the ABC islands if they are in or out of shengan

geem

Visit site
Thanks a million, especially for suggesting the two boat option. With that 2-boat option I suppose it is possible to buy a boat out there rather than sail one across. 90 days in the Med or UK in boat #1, 90 days at home under a roof, 180 days in the winter,Caribbean in boat #2. What on this earth could be better. Any permatation of your suggestion would be fantastic. I hear that boats in the West Indies are half the price of same model in Europe. So if sold back in Europe, not even a financial loss. Win win.
In my experience boats in the Caribbean cost the same as Europe.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
In my experience boats in the Caribbean cost the same as Europe.
I am surprised at that. I would have thought flights, accomodation, days just to view one boat, buying in or close to hurricane season would effect the price. Maybe buyers from USA distort the prices. Brazil, and the many countries in the Caribbean basin do not have much of a boat building industry so it is maybe their home market.

Good news for those not willing to sail their boat back to Europe, though.

geem

Visit site
I am surprised at that. I would have thought flights, accomodation, days just to view one boat, buying in or close to hurricane season would effect the price. Maybe buyers from USA distort the prices. Brazil, and the many countries in the Caribbean basin do not have much of a boat building industry so it is maybe their home market.

Good news for those not willing to sail their boat back to Europe, though.
There are normally about 25,000 boats in the Caribbean. A couple of years ago in Le Marin, Martinique there were close to 3000 boats in that one spot! There is probably a large a boat market there as anywhere else in the world. The French have Martinique and Guadeloupe as their home turf. Lots of buyers from US and Canada will buy in the Caribbean as it saves them sailing a boat down. Why would prices be any lower than at home? You may always find a bargain but not much more likely than on home turf. What appears to be a bargain viewed online may also be quite the opposite in the flesh or once surveyed.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Yippes, that sort of boat population is amazing. I have been in the crowded ionion for the past 12 years and my fond memories of the Windwards are maybe just that ... old memories.

3000 boats in Le Marin. Thats is more crowded than the whole Ionion. I estimate 200 boats in Vlicho Bay and I consider that place overcrowded. Are you sure, are we synched on the same place. I could be wrong of course but are we discussing that large anchorage in the South of Martinique where Club Mediterranean is based?

I am still aiming to return to that area but those boat numbers will effect my decision about which boat to use. I find myself with two boats inside schengen and one must go. The international folkboat despite her small size is the superior sea boat but will get squashed in crowded anchorages where large boat skippers consider small boats a gap in the traffic. The Moody 346 would fare better but is a floating caravan in comparison. I hate decisions like this. I need to get cracking on the plan and the plan revolves round which boat.

I also bear in mind what happens afterwards. If i continue westwards, the IF boat is King. I have deep trust in her because I have owned her for 30 years and sailed thousands of miles and she is always ready to go. Superb upwind, rolly downwind.

Sorry, I am thinking out loud. BTW i sail single-handed.

geem

Visit site
Yippes, that sort of boat population is amazing. I have been in the crowded ionion for the past 12 years and my fond memories of the Windwards are maybe just that ... old memories.

3000 boats in Le Marin. Thats is more crowded than the whole Ionion. I estimate 200 boats in Vlicho Bay and I consider that place overcrowded. Are you sure, are we synched on the same place. I could be wrong of course but are we discussing that large anchorage in the South of Martinique where Club Mediterranean is based?

I am still aiming to return to that area but those boat numbers will effect my decision about which boat to use. I find myself with two boats inside schengen and one must go. The international folkboat despite her small size is the superior sea boat but will get squashed in crowded anchorages where large boat skippers consider small boats a gap in the traffic. The Moody 346 would fare better but is a floating caravan in comparison. I hate decisions like this. I need to get cracking on the plan and the plan revolves round which boat.

I also bear in mind what happens afterwards. If i continue westwards, the IF boat is King. I have deep trust in her because I have owned her for 30 years and sailed thousands of miles and she is always ready to go. Superb upwind, rolly downwind.

Sorry, I am thinking out loud. BTW i sail single-handed.
The average boat size in the Caribbean these days is about 47ft. Which ever boat you show up in will be considered small?

Bajansailor

Visit site
The first time I sailed into Marin was almost 40 years ago - it was a very quiet and sleepy little village then, with no charter boats in sight.
I remember there was a sailing school with kids having a lot of fun in Optimists, and a couple of bars / restaurants - and that was about it.
Oh, and for some reason the driving schools (Auto Ecoles) in Martinique all seemed to like to take their learner drivers around the streets of Marin - the place was full of them.

geem

Visit site
Probably catamarans to make it worse. How depressing. 3000 56 foot catamarans in one anchorage.
The anchorage at St Ann is huge. The lagoon is huge. There are marinas on both sides of the channel. They have the biggest travel hoist in the Caribbean. The place is full of French liveaboards. There are sunk boats and derelict boats. It has it all. We only visit for supplies. It has excellent chandlery at UK prices. Its the cheapest place in the Caribbean to buy anchor chain. Reasons to visit but more reasons to find a quieter place?
By contrast, the East side of the island is very quiet. You can anchor behind a reef in the breeze in flat water. You may share the anchorage with one or two other boats

BurnitBlue

Visit site
I have been searching through my memories of the 5 years I spent in the windwards. I cannot remember a thing about fresh water issues. I cannot remember any taps or filling up jerricans anywhere. I do remember having water issues in the Bahamas when I moved North, but the Windwards are a total blank. Where on earth did I get my fresh water from? I do remember using grp filler to block the deck scuppers but I dont remember collecting water yet this must have been the method. Strange and wierd how selective memory is.

Edit for Bajansailor. My first time was around 40 years ago, early to mid 80's. So few boats then our paths may have crossed. Such a small world really when you cruise in a boat. Or at least it used to be. Nowadays I dont think I would remember one of the dozens who actually bumped into me in todays crowded anchorages.

Last edited:

geem

Visit site
I have been searching through my memories of the 5 years I spent in the windwards. I cannot remember a thing about fresh water issues. I cannot remember any taps or filling up jerricans anywhere. I do remember having water issues in the Bahamas when I moved North, but the Windwards are a total blank. Where on earth did I get my fresh water from? I do remember using grp filler to block the deck scuppers but I dont remember collecting water yet this must have been the method. Strange and wierd how selective memory is.

Edit for Bajansailor. My first time was around 40 years ago, early to mid 80's. So few boats then our paths may have crossed. Such a small world really when you cruise in a boat. Or at least it used to be. Nowadays I dont think I would remember one of the dozens who actually bumped into me in todays crowded anchorages.
A large percentage of liveaboards cruising the Caribbean now have watermakers. You can still get water in most places but it can be a faf. We know several cruisers who started out without watermakers but then subsequently installed watermakers. There are places like Barbuda where you can get water. Also The Bahamas is still problematic especially on the out islands

BurnitBlue

Visit site
A large percentage of liveaboards cruising the Caribbean now have watermakers. You can still get water in most places but it can be a faf. We know several cruisers who started out without watermakers but then subsequently installed watermakers. There are places like Barbuda where you can get water. Also The Bahamas is still problematic especially on the out islands
I don't think watermakers were around when I was there, yet I certainly don't recall actually getting any water from shore. Thinking more about this, I reckon the high mountains on small islands produced torrential tropical rain. Probably enough for me to collect with not that much effort to deserve a memory.

We seem to be a small group keeping this alternative to Mediterranean thread alive. There must be a solution in the Mediterranean that I have missed. Residence in Greece or Portugal is denied me because I already have residence in Sweden so maybe it is just me that has a problem.

RobbieW

Visit site
We seem to be a small group keeping this alternative to Mediterranean thread alive. There must be a solution in the Mediterranean that I have missed. Residence in Greece or Portugal is denied me because I already have residence in Sweden so maybe it is just me that has a problem.
I've been following the discussion but not contributing as I've no experience to contribute. My Plan B is the Carib, I did the med up to 2017 then brought the boat back to the UK. I dont think its just you, it seems anyone with only UK citizenship residing permanently in an EU country will face the same difficulty travelling solo outside their country of residence.

geem

Visit site
I've been following the discussion but not contributing as I've no experience to contribute. My Plan B is the Carib, I did the med up to 2017 then brought the boat back to the UK. I dont think its just you, it seems anyone with only UK citizenship residing permanently in an EU country will face the same difficulty travelling solo outside their country of residence.
We spent the last five years in the Caribbean. We love the fact that we miss UK winters. We normally come home for three months in the UK summer. We treat it as our winter?. We plan to head back there this season. We will head across the pond in November. Boat currently having a major refit

Other threads that may be of interest