Is Corryvreckan whirlpool predictable by the tides?

seafox67

Visit site
The ever changing picture!
That is what I was expecting on a spring tide! LOL...

Instead I got this!

I just can't figure out why it was so calm! This photo was taken on Wednesday 22nd July around 4pm!

Attachments

• CorryOnSpring.jpg
    CorryOnSpring.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 27

Shuggy

Visit site
That looks like the Sea Life Adventures boat. I believe David (the owner?) is one of the most experienced divers and marine biologists on the west coast and is always super polite and courteous to Stornaway Coastguard and yachties alike! That’s not relevant here, but did you ask him if the conditions were as expected? Even in zero wind conditions (see my video) at springs, you get some quite lively activity. You can hear it miles away and can see white water from the Dorus Mor in the right (/wrong) conditions. They say you can hear it from Crinan, but I’ve never managed to do so from my MIL’s house there. A guy called Mike Murray used to skipper the motor cat Gemini out of Crinan and released a DVD that he did with an enthusiastic customer... it has some quite fruity footage. Seafari at Easdale might be a better bet as their RIBs are a bit faster and can get out of bother more quickly. Anyway, I ramble.

grandpaboat

Visit site
We saw Thunder Cloud 2 when she came up and made that film the other week. She alone is pretty impressive.
Back to the Corryvrechan I came from the West on passage from Iona trying to make for slack high. Of course I was fighting the Great Race for 2/3 hours making only a couple of knots with a good following wind. It got a bit wild before I made it to the dreaded Gulf, which in turn was like a millpond as I did make it at HW Slack.
In hindsight I should have headed South to avoid the race and anchored in the bay on the Jura side if I'd been early for Slack.

Shuggy

Visit site
If you look in the distance when she's at Ardfern you can see a shortarse on shore covered in Gelshield Plus, half way through epoxying his boat's bare-blasted hull. That's me.

View from the shore:IMG_1936.jpeg