Is anyone concerned about the inevitable French fishing boat anger.after Brexit.

Frogmogman

Visit site
Are you sure about that? License, yes, but I'm pretty sure quota is traded freely by the POs. And there isn't really such a thing as 'UK quota', it covers an area of the sea.
It’s all explained in some detail in the article in post #109

AndrewfromFal

Visit site
That is certainly where the fishing industry has ended up, but it's not where they started before Heath sold them out.

It wasn't just Heath; Thatcher resisted all attempts to support the industry in the 1980s, her advisors saw it as a declining industry that shouldn’t be left to die, like the uk coal industry. Several right wing publications that have subsequently been in the vanguard of anti-EU comment argued that by far the most preferable outcome was we left it to the modern efficient Spanish fleet.

Either way it won’t come back, - however much people would wish to turn the clock back, and to risk the competitiveness of other industries that are still thriving for a misplaced nostalgia is utter stupidity. But then...

Achosenman

Visit site
It wasn't just Heath; Thatcher resisted all attempts to support the industry in the 1980s, her advisors saw it as a declining industry that shouldn’t be left to die, like the uk coal industry. Several right wing publications that have subsequently been in the vanguard of anti-EU comment argued that by far the most preferable outcome was we left it to the modern efficient Spanish fleet.

Either way it won’t come back, - however much people would wish to turn the clock back, and to risk the competitiveness of other industries that are still thriving for a misplaced nostalgia is utter stupidity. But then...
I would suggest there are many outside London who would disagree. In fact, the reason for the current political landscape I would argue, is a result of precisely that.

Kelpie

Visit site
Yes I'm sure. Otherwise, why do foreign fishing interests need to have UK companies and boats?
Fishermen are roundly accused of selling their fishing rights to foreign interests. 80% of UK fishermen are in the under ten metre sector, and are completely unable to sell any quota. Larger outfits can, but not to a non UK vessel. I would not style these big businesses as fishermen.

So are you saying that boats can't fish in UK waters unless they are UK flagged?

Under tens don't really have any quota to sell... and aren't the vast majority of them catching shellfish anyway? Oh course I'm speaking from a Scottish perspective, the fishery might be different down your way.

We probably agree on a lot of points btw... I'm just trying to reconcile different sources of information.

fisherman

Visit site
So are you saying that boats can't fish in UK waters unless they are UK flagged?
Except for boats with rights (from a 1964 agreement, i think), to fish up to the six mile limit, yes. My Polish friend in Hayle had to have a UK company to go fishing. The exclusive zone is only twelve miles but for them, there is a median line in the channel. We could claim 200 miles, as does the EU as a whole, which is what they worry about, the precedent has been set.
Won't happen.

dom

Visit site
.....Either way it won’t come back, - however much people would wish to turn the clock back, and to risk the competitiveness of other industries that are still thriving for a misplaced nostalgia is utter stupidity. But then...

Fishing is of course a niche industry of primarily symbolic importance although I do hope they get something positive from all this. As for risking "the competitiveness of other industries that are still thriving for a misplaced nostalgia", I would respectively disagree. In fact, a string of fantastic investment opportunities opened up following a period of misplaced fears that the UK would be irreparably damaged by a dispute with the EU, that the EU will crush the UK and so on.

In the vanguard of losers in this mistake were sadly UK pensioners whose funds erroneously got swept up with this narrative.

The UK has one heck of a lot to play for right now and that is why forward looking businesses are looking - and I say that as a non-British citizen who voted remain - to new opportunities and markets. Old businesses which can't adapt will go bust which is economically a good thing in that they will free up resources which can be better deployed elsewhere.

The EU - dare I say it :oops: - may even take this leaf out of the UK's book before too long!

AndrewfromFal

Visit site
Fishing is of course a niche industry of primarily symbolic importance although I do hope they get something positive from all this. As for risking "the competitiveness of other industries that are still thriving for a misplaced nostalgia", I would respectively disagree. In fact, a string of fantastic investment opportunities opened up following a period of misplaced fears that the UK would be irreparably damaged by a dispute with the EU, that the EU will crush the UK and so on.

In the vanguard of losers in this mistake were sadly UK pensioners whose funds erroneously got swept up with this narrative.

The UK has one heck of a lot to play for right now and that is why forward looking businesses are looking - and I say that as a non-British citizen who voted remain - to new opportunities and markets. Old businesses which can't adapt will go bust which is economically a good thing in that they will free up resources which can be better deployed elsewhere.

The EU - dare I say it :oops: - may even take this leaf out of the UK's book before too long!
Yes, I'm sure the good people who work at Honda Swindon are delighted their resource will be freed up so they can become delivery drivers, call centre operatives and whatever other riches the gig economy has to offer.

dom

Visit site
Yes, I'm sure the good people who work at Honda Swindon are delighted their resource will be freed up so they can become delivery drivers, call centre operatives and whatever other riches the gig economy has to offer.

Golly, that sounds bad! Sad to say, it was pretty much attitude which saw many UK pension + other domestic funds sell UK stocks post-Brexit with an acceleration around Covid-19. After which there was moaning about the profits made by hedge funds who spotted their obvious mistake.

As to your point on the gig economy, few of us are spring chickens on here, and I like many would dearly love to find some of this cheap labour. The going rate for top quality 25-30 year olds in London is about £100-£150k per year, sometimes doubled or trebled with bonuses. Tech staff are also hard to find as companies like Google are paying silly money, then again there's nothing silly about Google. Ohh, and to cap it off, these kids ant 1-yr notice to move these days - buggers!

Now we could "harrumph" and say "that's not how we do business" after which we wouldn't be doing any business at all. People are just doing different things these days and it was ever thus - it's called progress, it's rarely reversible, and it's not all bad :)

Last edited:

AndrewfromFal

Visit site
Golly, that sounds bad! Sad to say, it was pretty much attitude which saw many UK pension + other domestic funds sell UK stocks post-Brexit with an acceleration around Covid-19. After which there was moaning about the profits made by hedge funds who spotted their obvious mistake.

As to your point on the gig economy, few of us are spring chickens on here, and I like many would dearly love to find some of this cheap labour. The going rate for top quality 25-30 year olds in London is about £100-£150k per year, sometimes doubled or trebled with bonuses. Tech staff are also hard to find as companies like Google are paying silly money, then again there's nothing silly about Google. Ohh, and to cap it off, these kids ant 1-yr notice to move these days - buggers!

Now we could "harrumph" and say "that's not how we do business" after which we wouldn't be doing any business at all. People are just doing different things these days and it was ever thus - it's called progress, it's rarely reversible, and it's not all bad :)
I think you're living in a very closed bubble if you think that's the reality for more than a few thousand 25-30 year olds. I'm aware its the going rate in my organisation, but not for most of those in that age bracket.

dom

Visit site
I think you're living in a very closed bubble if you think that's the reality for more than a few thousand 25-30 year olds. I'm aware its the going rate in my organisation, but not for most of those in that age bracket.

The reality is that new highly-paid jobs are being created for younger folk, behind which there is a pyramid of good but progressively lower paid jobs which will hopefully carry them for many years.

To me it is the anti-Brexit mob who live in a bubble, those who can't accept the reality of a democratic decision and who are still fantasizing about the sky falling in on the UK which hasn't happened and isn't going to ?

And as for the reaction of our Brittany friends to UK yachts, my guess that they'll be just as welcoming as ever, as indeed we will be to them (y)