Is anyone concerned about the inevitable French fishing boat anger.after Brexit.

Visit site
Upsetting your opposite number really isn't a good way to negotiate.
In fact, it's a really good way to ensure no-one else wants to have any dealing with you in future.

Why do I need to explain this? :rolleyes:
I seem to recall the Icelanders upset us enough to send the navy up there, then they got their own way and now they have excellent fish stocks. You and your cohorts are just the sort of snivelling defeatist that Ollie Robbins was relying upon to sell us out. Spineless.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
When did you last encounter them? I've kept my boat in Brittany since 2013 and the increasing antipathy of the French to Brits is obvious. Marina staff who speak perfect English now frown and shrug when a Brit starts up a conversation without attempting French. I was insulted by two drunk fisherman in L'Aber Wrach before I'd said a word whilst my Irish crew was warmly welcomed. Brits will end up as welcome as Germans in Greece: tolerated for their money and reviled behind their backs.

Whilst a French sailor turning up at a UK marina will receive friendly service in fluent French? :rolleyes:

As you have your boat in Brittany for over 7 years, surely this is long enough to pick up some French?
My French is far from perfect, but I do make a point of speaking it at all times with the locals.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Mine isn't. Don't know any that is.
Try drilling for oil on jt or any grab of the recources your land may cover. Mineral extraction rights or even turning your land into a waste disposal dump will grip the states or communes attention rather speedily. Not sure about treasure trove in foreign lands but I doubt you have the complete control of your land you think you have.

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
Try drilling for oil on jt or any grab of the recources your land may cover. Mineral extraction rights or even turning your land into a waste disposal dump will grip the states or communes attention rather speedily. Not sure about treasure trove in foreign lands but I doubt you have the complete control of your land you think you have.

I do believe our dear captain sensible was talking about Spanish leasehold/freehold properties.

What could be done with a freehold Spanish property once the freehold is established is not and was not a matter for discussion.

IMHO, of course. ;)

BurnitBlue

Visit site
I do believe our dear captain sensible was talking about Spanish leasehold/freehold properties.

What could be done with a freehold Spanish property once the freehold is established is not and was not a matter for discussion.

IMHO, of course. ;)
In that case I misunderstood the dear captains post. I also don't understand yours. But I do agree it is outside the discussion about French angry fishermen.

Quiddle

Visit site
Whilst a French sailor turning up at a UK marina will receive friendly service in fluent French? :rolleyes:

As you have your boat in Brittany for over 7 years, surely this is long enough to pick up some French?
My French is far from perfect, but I do make a point of speaking it at all times with the locals.
I can and do speak French. Not sure how you concluded otherwise from my post. Anyhow, I'm referring to those Brits who don't even attempt 'bonjour'. My point isn't whether this is acceptable or a reasonable expectation but that the attitude of the French has changed considerably (and IMO understandably) in the last 4 years.

Last edited:

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
I probably won't be drilling for oil as it happens. Spain is not some kinda third world country that you may think it is. The deeds to my property are legal, binding and on the Spanish land registry. As you would expect. Wasn't your original post about freehold rather than oil, waste disposal dumps and .....treasure? ?

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
I seem to recall the Icelanders upset us enough to send the navy up there, then they got their own way and now they have excellent fish stocks. You and your cohorts are just the sort of snivelling defeatist that Ollie Robbins was relying upon to sell us out. Spineless.
You seem to be a bit of an angry chap. Tad rude too. Anything we can do to help?

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
I can and do speak French. Not sure how you concluded otherwise from my post. Anyhow, I'm referring to those Brits who don't even attempt 'bonjour'. My point isn't whether this is acceptable or a reasonable expectation but that the attitude of the French has changed considerably (and IMO understandably) in the last 4 years.

It would seem I got the wrong end of the stick - my apologies.

And yes, you're right - attitudes have changed.
Changed to the extent that the new owner who now keeps my previous boat on a mooring on the same river is reluctant to fly the red ensign even though the boat is now on the SSR.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
I probably won't be drilling for oil as it happens. Spain is not some kinda third world country that you may think it is. The deeds to my property are legal, binding and on the Spanish land registry. As you would expect. Wasn't your original post about freehold rather than oil, waste disposal dumps and .....treasure? ?
No it was about angry French fishermen. I got sidetracked when jorden basset compared purchased fishing rights to Brits purchased Spanish property rights and Gibraltar. I am sorry I took the bait. As far as I know fishing quoters have no resemblance to property rights. Back to angry French fishermen.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
I have no doubt that French fisherman have grounds for anger. It is how they act on that anger that would concern me. I am constantly hearing the argument that the world is moving on, and I should get over it and move with the times. Things do not last for ever. Brexit has happened and better times are on the way. Even the French will one day realise this as the replenished fish stocks overflow down channel into their own waters.

jordanbasset

Visit site
No it was about angry French fishermen. I got sidetracked when jorden basset compared purchased fishing rights to Brits purchased Spanish property rights and Gibraltar. I am sorry I took the bait. As far as I know fishing quoters have no resemblance to property rights. Back to angry French fishermen.
Look through the thread it was not me that first brought the comparison up. I just asked for clarification/confirmation.
Personally I would be against any state seizing assets legitimately paid for, whether a house or fishing rights. Such actions would be those of a banana republic.
Also I never mentioned Gibraltar.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Nothing wrong with a bit of thread drift. ?? We evengot an angry retired bean counter too! ??

NotBirdseye

Visit site
So do you think Spain will unilaterally seize British property in Spain under eminent domain?
Not sure how Britain will feel about that, I suspect about the same that France and other EU countries will feel if their citizen's legally bought and paid for fishing quotas were seized from them

There is a difference between property and territory. The UK owns the ocean where the 'property' falls and so they are the outright landlord... and you try telling a landlord that they can't have their house back. Eminent Domain is the right of the state to use it's territory for whatever purposes it deems fit. Whether we like it or not. People in the UK are often forced out of their homes under compulsory purchase orders and likewise the same could happen to properties owned by overseas nationals... or we could just go after them with an Unexplained Wealth Order...

I don't think this is necessarily right, but that is the world we live in.

Visit site
Look through the thread it was not me that first brought the comparison up. I just asked for clarification/confirmation.
Personally I would be against any state seizing assets legitimately paid for, whether a house or fishing rights. Such actions would be those of a banana republic.
It's a bit silly to compare fishing rights to a house but let's stretch it a bit and say that the house is turned by its owner into a terrorist training camp do you not think that expropriation might be justified ?
As far as fishing is concerned I remember the Dutch beam-trawlers (which was a method unknown to the British) coming into Morecambe Bay and destroying the fishing grounds. I dived there and it was like a ploughed field. One needs to see the whole picture before passing judgement.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Sorry you are correct. I did look back but stopped at your post. I should have looked back further. Remember it was Oscar Wilde who quite rightly stated that it was better to be critisized than ignored. I also agree that a country should honour past commitments. I recal my father's anguish after 5 years in WWll when he started a small road haulage business only to see the labour party gobble it up for a government run British Road Services. Good thing was it made him a life long conservative. Maybe that is not what you mean. Back to angry fishermen.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Do the French want the good news first or the bad news? The bad news is that they have lost their fishing rights to UK fishing waters. The good news is that British fishermen will be looking for cheap French fishing boats.

jordanbasset

Visit site
It's a bit silly to compare fishing rights to a house but let's stretch it a bit and say that the house is turned by its owner into a terrorist training camp do you not think that expropriation might be justified ?
Again I didn't make the initial comparison, although bringing in terrorism seems an even sillier comparison