Is anybody still using a Yeoman?

RAI

Visit site
It amazes me that the Philips 6 channel GPS receiver used by my Yeoman plotter still works. It does get worried when it looses satellites and bleats at me.

sailor211

Visit site
Hi, Bit late to this thread but have just transferred my Yeoman Pro to my new boat and was inquisitive to see if there were any threads on them.
I don't know if anyone has had any issues with the PCB memory battery or need a repair but I did a few years back and eventually got it done at 'Charity & Taylor Ltd.' in Great Yarmouth. I think their Senior Eng James Hodges may have had something to do with Yeoman and I had a replacement base fitted a few years back when it developed an accuracy error and had the PCB battery replaced and unit reprogrammed when it died on me and lost all its memory.
Will probably go back again soon and get the PCB battery changed again in good time as I don't want to loose all the programming again.
Pitty no one makes these anymore.
Fell in love with Yeoman using one in the Three Peaks Race many years ago. Modern integrated systems can calculate all sorts of variables to achieve a best ETA. I have all that at the helm and its great for local sailing/pilotage. But on passages I still like to use a chart, mix GPS with practical navigation and make my own tactical choices rather than blindly follow a computers instructions. I have been doing it for decades and its part of the enjoyment.
But I am now looking at new charts for the boat and struggling to find ones still with the yeoman set up points marked, probably because the charts have changed and Yeoman no longer exist to set up and reprogram the points on new charts. So I think I am just going to have to set them up individually.

Still use mine. Do lots of planning etc. I just enter 3 points of my choice to fix the scale.
I also sail from the Solent to Plymouth hardly looking at a chart. Just keep it he land away to starboard ?

SaltyC

Visit site
Yes! Still used, connected to a Garmin GPS, unable to run off the edge of chart plotter card just need an old fashioned paper one.
Seriously I find it far better for passage planning ( no scrolling) brilliant overview and easy to plot hourly positions (just in case)
Interestingly with low voltage the Yeoman drops out before the chart plotter!

jwilson

Visit site
I don't own a Yeoman plotter but have used one on another boat: thought it was a really clever bit of kit, certainly infinitely better than the early CRT green screen plotter fitted to the other boat I regularly sailed at the time. If I had one I'd keep using it.

Devon Boy

Visit site
If anyone has one for sale I would be interested. Ideally the more portable version but possibly a “full size”

Last edited: