Is a gimballed stove really necessary?

NotBirdseye

Visit site
I’ve found that potatoes, hard white cabbages, onions, even some apples, if bought before they have seen a chiller, and then kept in a ventilated deck locker, out of the light, keep very well. You do have to pick through them regularly or one going soft will spoil the lot. Have had less luck with carrots

I believe carrots work best in a dry sand pot as if planted. (I might be miss remembering).

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
The cooker was mounted athwartships facing aft,the cook had to improvise wire lashings to hold the pots on it. The boat cost 900 grand by the way..
Should have got a bigger boat! This one cost 3.5 mil euros. We did steaks on that Barbie in a following near gale as a halfway highlight, Antigua to Barcelona. As you do. ?

Arcady

Visit site
Just quickly, I'd personally be careful of those induction/microwave combos on a boat, for the simple reason that I find the longevity of microwaves a good bit less than cookers, pretty much irrespective of quality.

Good point, and another reason to specify a separate, much cheaper and easily replaceable domestic microwave .

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
Wedge something under one end of the dish? Lasagne's stiff enough not to splash, so it only needs to be level on average.

Pete
It's not stiff enough made the way I was taught and prefer! Plenty of runny sauces and less pasta. Wedging is obvious if the heel is roughly constant, but sod's law etc.

I suppose I'm just trolling really, but I'd hate to lose gimbals - they're such a satisfyingly simple invention.

Zing

Visit site
Just a thought. Has anyone tried to fry an egg (or anything) with the pan inclined at 15 to 20 deg?

Babylon

Visit site
Just a thought. Has anyone tried to fry an egg (or anything) with the pan inclined at 15 to 20 deg?

Why would anyone with a gimballed cooker even think about such a problem! ;)

But, if one had to, then the answer is to use a pot rather than a pan.

geem

Visit site
Last summer crossing the pond West to East we had two days hard on the wind in boisterous conditions with 2.5m seas. More like 25 degs of heel. With pan clamps and gimbals you can still cook. Galley layout then becomes a factor as well. Being able to brace yourself so you can take a pan off the stove safely without burning yourself is important. Washing up can get interesting as well. Our boat originally had shallow sinks. Absolutely useless when heeling. The water would jump out and flood the galley?

PhillM

Visit site
The smaller the boat the more you need gimballs. I couldn’t live without mine (and pan clamps) on my 24 footer. I bet they aren’t needed on a cruise liner.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I suppose I'm just trolling really, but I'd hate to lose gimbals - they're such a satisfyingly simple invention.

+1

Wouldn't risk the chip pan without them :) Even with gimbals, if it's quite rough we've often used the 3L pressure cooker without the weight instead of a normal pan and lid, much safer.

PhillM

Visit site
The smaller the boat the more you need gimballs. I couldn’t live without mine (and pan clamps) on my 24 footer. I bet they aren’t needed on a cruise liner.
Ah so now here is the conundrum ... I really believed that when I wrote it. But now I have found myself with a new Compasss 24 origo-look-alike and the most expensive set of pan holders known to man. But no gimbals and none available anywhere either.

I could simply screw the stove down or add making gimballs to my long-ish to-do list. TBH as a single-hander, I don't tend to cook much at sea as I prepare as much as I can in advance. Perhaps some boil in the bag meals (look what we found, for example) and of course regular cups of tea.

On my old boat, even with the stove gimballed, I never left it unattended as I could keep an eye out and be with it at the same time (joys of a smaller boat!). Hmm, what to do for next season on Swift... decisions decisions.

Plum

Visit site
Ah so now here is the conundrum ... I really believed that when I wrote it. But now I have found myself with a new Compasss 24 origo-look-alike and the most expensive set of pan holders known to man. But no gimbals and none available anywhere either.

I could simply screw the stove down or add making gimballs to my long-ish to-do list. TBH as a single-hander, I don't tend to cook much at sea as I prepare as much as I can in advance. Perhaps some boil in the bag meals (look what we found, for example) and of course regular cups of tea.

On my old boat, even with the stove gimballed, I never left it unattended as I could keep an eye out and be with it at the same time (joys of a smaller boat!). Hmm, what to do for next season on Swift... decisions decisions.
As I wrote in my post #6, pan clamps and no gimble.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

jdc

Visit site
Just try10 days or so hard on the wind without gimbals. Of course you could do without, but why would you: the cost of a gimbal is perhaps £20 and you wan't to forgo them? We made them for our first boat which don't have any, cost < £10.

PhillM

Visit site
Just try10 days or so hard on the wind without gimbals. Of course you could do without, but why would you: the cost of a gimbal is perhaps £20 and you wan't to forgo them? We made them for our first boat which don't have any, cost < £10.
The “original” ones for Origo and the look alikes are closer to £100 and that is IF you can find them.

But you are right I could make some. With my project, it’s all about getting the priorities right. Do I see myself 10 days on the wind anytime soon? No. 48 hours perhaps 72 but no more. But I’d still like to make tea and boil in the bag food.