IRPCS: Crossing shiping lanes

G

You're under sail at night on a 160 mile passage, heading West about to cross busy North / South shipping lanes. The wind is coming on the nose ... what is the correct procedure as you cannot cross at right angles?

For the sake of argument, assume you don't have an engine and a detour around the shipping lanes would add too many miles to the passage putting you on a hazardous lee shore at night. he current is Southerly at 2 knots.

peterb

Visit site
Crossing shiping lanes

Under Rule 10, you don't cross. Go back and wait for another day, or skirt round (leaving adequate clearance; some countries require at least a mile).

But in the event that crossing became a necessity on safety grounds, then Rule 2 would probably be a good defence. Sail as close to the required heading as possible, and on a tack which doesn't take you against the traffic flow (port tack across the first lane, then starboard tack across the second. In the event of meeting a ship on a possible collision course, make sure that you give way (perhaps by slowing down or heaving to) well before the ship gets worried. But preferably don't cross without an available engine; remember the possibility of being becalmed.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
My understanding from Rule 10, and past articles in YM, is that the requirement becomes to sail as close as practicable to straight across. I doubt that it is ever necessary to return and wait until the wind direction is favourable, as in my case this could well require a round trip of 15 hours. My preference would be to sail on starboard tack for the first half and port for the second, enabling me to bear away astern of any approaching vessels. However, I don't know whether the rule allows this or not.

alant

Visit site
The rule states that the vessel should be at right angles to the shipping lane, not that the courseshould be at right angles to the shipping lane. This allows for your course sailed to pass across the lane at an angle, as will be necessary with tidal drift & leeway.

G

Heading,Course, Track ....

IRPCS says it is heading 90 degrees plain English ... So why ask? (Sorry H' but you did pose the antipthy to a non-sequitor - How about you re-ask the question as whether a lay-line in a tidal sea is preferential? )

G

This is my understanding too, it being impossible to just turn around and wait for another day just because the wind is unfavourable - else what wold the procedure be during a wind shift?

BTW, the element of "no engine" was just to force the discussion to be about sailing, not the much easier scenario of when we have turned ourselves into power driven vessels.

Thanks - but I'll bet someone else disagrees ...

G

Logic!

Because it would appear to be illogical to demand an exact interpretation when under sail ... and all rules require a dose of common sense. The rule is explicit, sure enough, but that is why the question was asked ... do you turn around or make a detour?

alant

Visit site
Re: Heading,Course, Track ....

"Rule 10 (c) A vessel shall, so far as is practicable, avoid crossing traffic lanes but if obliged to do so shall cross on a heading as nearly as practicable at right angles to the general direction of traffic flow."

G

Rules are for the policing of the stupid and education of the wise

Cross the lanes on the tack which brings the ships up on your windward quarter. Assume that they have not seen you, and if they had they would try and run you down. In the words give them plenty of See room deftly a case of might over right.

Just be a sensible and keep a good lookout

:)-{)>

G

Re: Crossing shiping lanes

Fear not,I would not contemplate putting to sea without at least one engine in full working order. I normally only put to sea with two engines in full working order and cross the lanes at 90 degrees having used the radar to assess whether to adjust speed to ensure max spacing.

This works well and is safe for all concerned. Having got such an ideal setup, I don't feel the need for canvas other than as a canopy.

Still, each to his own......but if you are stuck in the hypothetical situation consider giving your local friendly motor cruiser a call for a tow across the lanes, before going back to tacking. I would happily help you but you would need to advise me as to your max comfortable speed to avoid overstressing cleats, fairleads, etc.

Enjoy your sailing..............

Sunny_Jim

Visit site
It might just be prudent to report your intentions to the local traffic contol centre... It may even be mandatory. Check with McMillans'.

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
That is what I do, or try to do, anyway. And no deck scraping headsail...

Lee bowing the tide will help to make the track better for half the time, but not the other half.

AndrewB

Visit site
Serious errors here! The rule is VERY simple.

"Boats shall cross on a heading as nearly as practicable at right angles".

The key words are 'HEADING' and 'AS NEARLY AS PRACTICABLE'. With a contrary wind, a sailing boat MUST sail on that tack which brings its heading closer to right angles to the direction of the lanes. This does not mean it is obliged to sail directly at right angles to the lanes.

The boat has no choice about which tack to use, even if the difference is just a few degrees. Leebowing does not enter into it.

For the same reason, a sailing boat with a working auxiliary engine is obliged to use it, if it cannot sail on a heading directly at right-angles to the TSS.

Although UK coastguards are aware of the limitations of sailing vessels, they RECOMMEND that a yacht should not attempt to cross a TSS unless it is capable of maintaining 5 knots under power. If this is not possible (in an emergency) the coastguard should be informed, and warnings to ships will be issued.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Oh dear!

>enabling me to bear away astern of any approaching vessels.<

Thinking this through means that you are effectively sailing the wrong way down the lane. Go direct to jail. Do not collect £200.

Better surely to have approaching vessels on your windward side so that you can bear away onto the same course as them, until thay are past and you can resume your course. Plus, it's usually easier to keep a good look-out to w/ward.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Oh dear, Oh dear!

You can't have them on your windward side for more than half the lane. Either one side or the other they will be approaching from leeward. I'll take bearing away over tacking any day. Again, the rule says "as far as practicable". Bearing away 10 degrees for 250 metres, maybe in conjunction with losing a little speed, is hardly sailing the wrong way down the lane.

AndrewB

Visit site
A \'hypothetical\' wind? OK, just for you Vyv ...

We'll let you go on either tack. Be sure though that if the other tack is favoured by so much as ½ a degree, Judge Dredd (specially recruited by MCA) will be out there on his aquabike for an on-the-spot termination.