Ireland confirms free travel arrangements for UK.

greeny

Visit site
Found this yesterday. Not directly connected with Portugal but interesting that Ireland have done this. Ireland are not a member of shenghen though so maybe that has some bearing on their ability to do this.
An old agreement resurrected to get around EU travel restrictions?
How many other European countries do we have similar but currently dormant agreements with. Could be an interesting 6 months coming up. Once the high level brexit posturing is done, we may start to see some sense creeping back in.
Memorandum of Understanding between the UK and Ireland on the CTA
It does date back to May last year so apologies if it's been highlighted before.

st599

Visit site
The common travel area has not been resurrected, it's been in force since 1925. It allows travel between the treaty states (UK, Ireland, Isle of Man and The Channel Islands) with minimal ID.

You didn't need a passport to fly to Ireland, unlike the rest of the EU.

Adios

Visit site
The common travel area has not been resurrected, it's been in force since 1925. It allows travel between the treaty states (UK, Ireland, Isle of Man and The Channel Islands) with minimal ID.

A couple of years ago every airline required a passport to fly. But you can go by ferry without one

Kelpie

Visit site
As I understand it this means that we can sail to the Republic of Ireland without having to first arrive at a port of entry. Very handy coming from up here, since the first PoE is Sligo.

st599

Visit site
A couple of years ago every airline required a passport to fly. But you can go by ferry without one

Not as a requirement for traveling to Ireland. Government issued ID is a security requirement for boarding a plane. I've flown to Ireland using my driving licence.

greeny

Visit site

Ok so "resurrected" was probably a poor choice of words but they have taken the time and effort to issue this "memorandum of understanding" re-affirming it. So call it what you want.
And for whatever the reason, you did need a passport to go from Manchester to Dublin when I flew that route twice last year. I had to show it and it was checked on arrival in Dublin. But that is an irrelevant point.
My point, is that they have taken the time to do this, so how many other countries will go similar routes to make UK travel easier in the fullness of time.

dunedin

Visit site
Ok so "resurrected" was probably a poor choice of words but they have taken the time and effort to issue this "memorandum of understanding" re-affirming it. So call it what you want.
And for whatever the reason, you did need a passport to go from Manchester to Dublin when I flew that route twice last year. I had to show it and it was checked on arrival in Dublin. But that is an irrelevant point.
My point, is that they have taken the time to do this, so how many other countries will go similar routes to make UK travel easier in the fullness of time.

I suspect there are a lot of special circumstances in this one - the historic origins 100 years ago, the only land border with the UK, the over-riding political desire by Ireland to avoid a physical border, the Good Friday Agreement etc.

PS. But still hasn’t prevented new problems arising from Brexit- eg from 1st January it may be impossible to sail to Ireland from the UK with a pet.

Kelpie

Visit site

I think that may be wishful thinking. It's an agreement that predates Ireland's accession to the EU, and certainly predates Brexit by nearly a century.
But I do share your optimism that it is in everyone's interests to allow easier travel. Perhaps more countries may offer a long stay tourism visa, like France already do.

Adios

Visit site
Not as a requirement for traveling to Ireland. Government issued ID is a security requirement for boarding a plane. I've flown to Ireland using my driving licence.
Maybe it was only kids that can't fly without a passport then as that was the problem. Or it was only ryan air. Certainly was an issue as it stopped the trip, and at the time came to the belief all airlines had the same policy after looking into it.

Ah, they have no other government ID so it could have been that something else would have done.

Whitlock

Visit site
The agreement was put into place in 1923 after the Irish Free State was formed. It was suspended during WWII and then reaffirmed in 1952. Membership of the EU had no effect on it so it still exists.
It goes further than just travel e.g. Irish and UK nationals have the right to settle in each others countries and vote in elections, amongst other rights like healthcare.

Ningaloo

Northern summers on Primal otherwise Perth WA
yacht-primal.com
Years ago we were boarded by customs off the south coast near Dunmore East. They asked to see passports as, according to them, we have to carry photo ID. Fortunately we had them with us in case we had to dump the boat and fly home.
I had the most thorough customs inspection in Kinsale in 2019. Two officers on board, one inspected all my paperwork including crew passports, bill of sale and evidence of vat. The other went below with my crew and opened every cupboard, fridge etc.
All done very politely.
Another crew member flew into Cork later that day and said the airport security was intense with sniffer dog "inspections" twice before being allowed to leave the airport.
So there was probably some security alert going on, but I think you need to have all your documents ready whenever you venture overseas.

Visit site
Well said. We all got your main point. And you are right about Passports ...while the 'legal' situation theoretically didn't require it, many carriage companies (like airlines you mentioned) don't let you travel without. A useful post.