Ipswich Yacht Haven or Neptune Marina

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Sorry, I forgot to add that, of course, the whole east coast is a muddy hellhole :)
There isn't even enough room between the mud and sand to put up the sails without going aground, as I found out in the channel out of Hamford Water this morning. I have to be head to wind to hoist my mainsail, and the wind was at 90 degrees to the channel. I thought there was room, but suddenly realized the boat wasn't moving - cue a hasty burst of reverse and trying again once I'd reached more open water out at Pye End!

johnalison

Visit site
There is no excuse for that, he says patronisingly. There are two stretches of water that are convenient for sail-hoisting: the Walton channel just above Stone Point, and the area just outside between the cardinal buoy and the speed limit buoy just to the north. As these are roughly at right angles to each other, one or other should suffice in any wind direction. If it is too bumpy in an easterly, then a diversion to Hamford Water may be better.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
There is no excuse for that, he says patronisingly. There are two stretches of water that are convenient for sail-hoisting: the Walton channel just above Stone Point, and the area just outside between the cardinal buoy and the speed limit buoy just to the north. As these are roughly at right angles to each other, one or other should suffice in any wind direction. If it is too bumpy in an easterly, then a diversion to Hamford Water may be better.
Perhaps. But this was the first time I'd hoisted new sails, and the first time doing so single-handed for a very long time, so I wasn't as well-practiced as I'd like to be. I also don't like to put sail up until I'm past No 14; I've seen several boats aground there! Actually, with hindsight, I tried too soon; I'd have been fine a couple of buoys further along but misjudged and was still next to the drying part of the bank. After that, I paid more attention to my nice new cockpit mounted plotter!

Remember, the point is not to encourage more people to come here - it's already quite crowded enough! On the Clyde, I could go for miles without having to worry about which side to pass another boat, and the depth sounder was almost always in double figures (or lost the bottom entirely!)

Last edited:

johnalison

Visit site
Perhaps. But this was the first time I'd hoisted new sails, and the first time doing so single-handed for a very long time, so I wasn't as well-practiced as I'd like to be. I also don't like to put sail up until I'm past No 14; I've seen several boats aground there! Actually, with hindsight, I tried too soon; I'd have been fine a couple of buoys further along but misjudged and was still next to the drying part of the bank. After that, I paid more attention to my nice new cockpit mounted plotter!

Remember, the point is not to encourage more people to come here - it's already quite crowded enough! On the Clyde, I could go for miles without having to worry about which side to pass another boat, and the depth sounder was almost always in double figures (or lost the bottom entirely!)
Don’t worry. The thought that our tiny waterways are cluttered up with single-handers bumbling around trying to hoist their sails should be quite enough to put them off.