Ipswich Haven Marina How much 'Hard' is there

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I was at Ipswich Haven Marina today which is at the End of the River Orwell and a locked Marina. It seemed to have a very large number of boats but I could not see much hard at all if you want to take your boat out over winter. Is there very little or am I missing something.

Video below

Last edited:

Cantata

Visit site
Your photo is of the Delta Marina. I don't know about hard standing there, I suspect there's not much..
The Haven Marina is further in and round to the left, all on the south side of the dock. It has what appears to be a vast standing area.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I was at Ipswich Haven Marina today which is at the End of the River Orwell and a locked Marina. It seemed to have a very large number of boats but I could not see much hard at all if you want to take your boat out over winter. Is there very little or am I missing something.

The area to your left, where the Fairline building is (and everything else on that side of the river) Is The Haven Marina. The side of the river where you are standing is Ipswich Waterfront and Neptune Marina. Neptune Marina has a tiny bit of hardstanding, between the flats. Haven marina has a substantial amount of hard standing in more than one area.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Your photo is of the Delta Marina. I don't know about hard standing there, I suspect there's not much..
The Haven Marina is further in and round to the left, all on the south side of the dock. It has what appears to be a vast standing area.

Haven Marina, Not Delta Marina.

Cantata

Visit site
A right muddle! That pic is of the Neptune, isn’t it - there are no flats by Haven Marina. Delta? Must be thinking of Holland!

PaulRainbow

Visit site
A right muddle! That pic is of the Neptune, isn’t it - there are no flats by Haven Marina.
Delta? Must be thinking of Holland!

Yes, the still image is Neptune, it's a video though, which pans across to the Haven.

As for Neptune/Delta, can i recommend the East Coast Pilot :)

Tradewinds

Visit site
Definitely Neptune marina in the pic (my son had his yacht berthed there). As said they have a small yard between the apartments and car park which will take 8 or so boats at a time. Your time ashore is limited to a month (but may be extended if circumstances allow).

They have a decent sized travel lift too. All in all it was a good experience for us.

Oyster 49

Visit site
Ipswich Haven has quite a lot of parking, but they are currently very busy lifting boats out and parking them, I was in the office chatting to them last week. They are expecting to have to put a lot more in their yard this winter.

Greg2

Visit site
The is plenty of hard standing at the Haven marina. When we bought a boat there many moons ago we wintered on the hard so that I could do some works.

Major_Clanger

Home is Suffolk, boat either Suffolk or Cornwall
Visit site
So is there anything like enough hard to work with all the boats that are there
There's lots of room ashore with several large areas. Plus remember that not all the boats come out.

ABP, who own the land and run Haven Marina, have plans to build a huge number of flats/shops/amenities there which would obviously affect hardstanding. Their plans are on hold currently as survey work indicated the site isn't stable enough to build on. When the Victorians created the 'island' they used domestic rubbish as an infill so the whole place would need serious work to make it suitable.

I kept my boat there for a couple of years, not a bad place really, though the town itself is not great IMO.

PeterWright

Visit site
Ipswich Haven has quite a lot of parking, but they are currently very busy lifting boats out and parking them, I was in the office chatting to them last week. They are expecting to have to put a lot more in their yard this winter.
Hard standing at all the Orwell marinas except Woolverstone has been increased for the coming winter by Woolverstone's announcement that they will no longer offer haul outs, so it's not surprising that Haven are expecting a lot more.