Intrepid Ships Cats

KrisHansen

Visit site
Does anyone have any thoughts on Nauticalia, those shops that are popping up everywhere, like Starbucks, but particularly in marina complexes and boaty towns?

I rather like them, as at least half of their products are actually useful aboard ship. I also think a lovely idea is their Intrepid Ship's Cats, curled up moggies designed to look like famous mariner cats. The only problem being is that they're made of rabbit pelts...

...and aren't rabbits and ships supposed to be unlucky? Yes, I know I'm on about superstition again, but you'd think this is something Nauticalia would take into account... then again, maybe I'm mistaken about the rabbits....

- Kris Hansen

KrisHansen

Visit site
Well, actually, you have a point... useful was the wrong word to use. Rather, for someone like me who is trying to set up home aboard, there are a few bits that are quite nice to have, and not too cheesy. Porthole mirrors, on the other hand...

- Kris Hansen

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Nauticalia? Marvellous!

I've found the integrated solar powered torch/barometer/parallel rules/sextant jobbie, tastefully brass plated of course, to be indispensable.

Now I'm saving for the combined ship-in-a-bottle/foghorn/EPIRB, which will be engraved with my ship's name.

Any advice on how to adapt my tiller steering to use a genuine teak brass bound ship's wheel, available in a range of sizes?

claymore

Visit site
Hmmm, all this superstition,
How do you go on when tying a bowline - what is it that comes out of your hole and round the back of your tree - don't tell me - a fox? or was that just another thread?

peterb

Visit site
Skipper\'s mug

Nauticalia do a range of mugs, varying from skipper to galley slave, each showing a different knot. The skipper's mug shows a bowline. But I've never seen a bowline like this one. What's more, I've tried to tie the knot they show, and reckon it's impossible. Do you reckon it should come under the Trade Descriptions Act?