International Paint anomaly

zoidberg

Visit site
I'm ploughing on with 'boat paint prep'ing, and stumbled over a puzzling curiosity.
The published material in Intl's 'Boat Paint Guide', and online, for their Interdeck paint specifies it is a 'polyurethane' product - which is desirable for hard-wearing high footfall areas.
Speaking with their Technical Advice chap today, he rather embarassedly tells me it is NOT a polyurethane paint. For that, he tells me, I would need to use a two-pack product such as Perfection.

Does anyone here have any more to tell me?

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
This is what it says on their site...
  • Slip-resistant urethane modified alkyd deck paint that’s suitable for all substrates
  • Contains fine mineral additive for hard wearing, non-slip surface
  • Low sheen finish prevents sunlight dazzle

zoidberg

Visit site
This is what it says on their site...
  • Slip-resistant urethane modified alkyd deck paint that’s suitable for all substrates
  • Contains fine mineral additive for hard wearing, non-slip surface
  • Low sheen finish prevents sunlight dazzle

Their booklet, mentioned in #1 above, details 'Slip-resistant polyurethane deck paint'...... and 4 other bullet points.
And they have multiple sites...... hence my asking their Tech Adviser chap in Southampton.

But, thank you.

Jodel

Visit site
The first "International Boat Paint Guide" that come up on Google has on page 1 "Aus/NZ Edition". It's possible that they have different formulations in different market.

zoidberg

Visit site
"Close, but no cigar..."

The 'Boat Paint Guide' I've referred to has exactly the text I quoted..... and I took that copy from the hand of an AkzoNobel representative at SIBS last Friday.

Neeves

Visit site
I hate to say this but you should be asking International - not us.

And then having us all intrigued - post the reply.

:)

Here in Oz - International are exceptionally helpful and a quick phone call would be my first port of call.

And Jodel is correct - our formulations for some of any paint company's formulations will, and are, different here (though not necessarily in this case) certainly we have different restrictions for AF - which must be a real pain in the neck for the international paint companies.

Take care, stay safe (the fat lady has not sung yet).

Jonathan

zoidberg

Visit site
......a quick phone call would be my first port of call.

( Resigned heavy sigh ). That's exactly what I did, referencing the phone number on the inside cover of the booklet I mentioned in #1 - 'Ask the experts'.
That's how the 'anomaly' arose....

But... we all know there are many more experts in here.

MADRIGAL

Visit site
I don’t know the answer to the question (I am clearly not an expert!), but I am very happy with the product on my decks after 3 years. Interdeck has lived up to the claims of durability, slip-resistance, and glare reduction. I would certainly use it again.

Daverw

Visit site
Have you has a look at the paints product safety data sheet, this sound make it clear the chemical make up

Poignard

Visit site
All I know is that Interdeck was a much more durable paint than the Multicoat I was persuaded to change to by International a couple of years ago and which I now have to scrape off. :confused:

VicS

Visit site
All I know is that Interdeck was a much more durable paint than the Multicoat I was persuaded to change to by International a couple of years ago and which I now have to scrape off. :confused:
That's interesting. Multicoat is a Hempel product. Why did International recommend a rivals product ? Perhaps they were having a laugh

Poignard

Visit site
That's interesting. Multicoat is a Hempel product. Why did International recommend a rivals product ? Perhaps they were having a laugh
My mistake. It was Hempel that stopped manufacturing their deck paint in a colour I liked and suggested I use their then new Multicoat, which was available in my preferred colour, with non-slip granules mixed in.

The Multicoat has not lasted well and will have to come off.

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
Interdeck is the the same as Toplac, with the granules already added.

If you prefer one of the Toplac colours then you'll have to add a sachet of the International granules and you'll then have Interdeck with a bigger range of colours.

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk

If you prefer one of the Toplac colours then you'll have to add a sachet of the International granules and you'll then have Interdeck with a bigger range of colours.

I'm pretty sure that's not true. Toplac is a very 'shiny' paint. Just adding granules won't change that.

VicS

Visit site

One is a so called single pack polyurethane . The other is described as a silicone alkyd