Interior refit

Halcyon23

Visit site
Hi all,
I rather expect I know the answer to this but, who knows maybe I wrong.
I've recently purchased a small sailing boat in need of an interior refit.
One of my thoughts was to clad the ceiling of the cabin in painted softwood cladding...is this just ridiculous and will rot and fall apart quickly or if properly treated will last for a few years.
Clearly cost is some what of an issue otherwise I'd purchase hardwood t&g.
Thoughts please.
Regards, Scott

prv

Visit site
Seems reasonable to me. You’re not building a classic yacht to last a hundred years.

The part that will suffer is the upper surface, against the deck, where condensation and any minor leakage will collect. Make sure you seal this surface well, perhaps with epoxy or at least good waterproof paint.

The other option that may go up more easily is plywood, thin enough to follow gentle curves, with grooves routed into it to make it look like tongue-and-groove, then painted. The same principle applies for sealing the top surface.

Pete

William_H

Visit site
With any small sailing yacht it is not a good idea to spend a lot of time and money on tizzying up. Unless of course you have the urge to do it for the show off value. I would advocate just leave as is or paint it . Perhaps fit dome head nuts on protruding bolts. In other words just get out there sailing it.
Regarding interior. I think the best layout is simply bunk/seats down each side extending to make a vee berth at the front and quarter berth under the cockpit. Under the bunks can be used for stowage or better still sealed to make airtight tanks for flotation.
If you get the urge for a cooker/sink etc the best place is a unit which can slide out from under the cockpit. This can also be the step down to the cabin.
But mostly just accept what you have. ol;'will

Bajansailor

Visit site
Welcome to the Forum Halcyon - I presume that your new boat is a Halcyon 23.
More info about them here -
https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/halcyon-23

Re your interior re-fit, do you presently have headlining on the ceiling, or is it bare fibreglass?
If the latter, then I would be tempted to just leave it - perhaps throw a coat of paint on it if it looks tatty.
Although if you are in high latitudes, and have a good possibility of condensation forming, then some form of headlining would be useful.

Laminar Flow

Visit site
Small boats are quite weight sensitive, adding 10mm of sleepers plus another 10mm for T&G (potentially) will add another 50kg and most likely in the wrong places, i.e. above CoG. Other than providing you with a lot of work, it will add nothing to the boat's value, especially if it looks home made.

The quickest and easiest method would be to glue on stretch carpet. It is light weight, totally rot proof and has the added benefit of alleviating condensation.

Aeolus

Visit site
Painted softwood cladding should be fine, as long as the upper side of it stays dry. It will also help insulate the boat, making it more comfortable. You could consider as a similar alternative something like Robbins Elite Cabin Line which is a plywood sheet that looks like T&G cladding. I'm fairly sure other suppliers have similar products. One advantage is that it is thinner - useful if headroom is scarce.

My boat has this type of board as its headlining.

lustyd

Visit site
Having just come from a small boat I would suggest closed cell foam glued in place, either proper foam from somewhere like Hawke House (Self Adhesive Closed Cell Foam 5mm - Double Sided (RW70) | Hawke House), or gym/play mats glued in place. The Hawke House stuff stayed stuck to the sides of my Vivacity for 10 years and were as good as new when I sold her. I used double sided then lined with white leather vinyl. Thin gym/play mats will insulate well too and come in various colours. Do not insulate in the bilge - condensation needs to go somewhere and the bilge is that somewhere! You'll be glad of the insulation on both hot and cold days, and wood won't provide this as well.

Refueler

Visit site
I've just clicked to buy Car / Van 4-way stretch lining ... includes tins of spray adhesive.

CAMPER VAN CAR CARPET LINING 4 way stretch VW T 6 5 TRIM TRANSIT RACE DAY 20sqm | eBay

I was 'sold on this' by watching various videos where people apply ...

The 1980's usual Foam backed Vinyl head lining is losing its adhesion in places and started its journey to the waste bin. Its going to be a devils job removing - but its replacement should last another 20 odd years ...