Interior Refit Books

monkfish24

Visit site
I am planning a minor refit of the interior with plans to maximise storage and refit for short handed sailing on my seawall 26.

While being very capable with electrics and mechanics of a boat, carpentry and woodwork isn't my strong point. Does anyone have any recommendations for books to read on fitting out the interior of a yacht for a layman?

D

Deleted member 36384

Boat Interior Construction, Michael Naujok, Adlard Coles Nautical, ISBN 0-7136-6357-X It is based on modern boat interiors using wood mouldings, ply, typical DIY tools. I found it a good book having only basic school woodworking skills and it guided me through some bits and bobs. I would recommend this book.

The Finely Fitted Yacht, Ferenc Mate, Albatross Publishing House. Too many words, not enough pictures but full of ideas.
Two books: The Boat Improvement Guide and Yacht Designers Sketch Book, both by Ian Nicolson. Offer lots of pictures and just enough text to make sense of the pictures. If you have an older boat, or more of a blank canvass, the ideas in Mr Nicolson's books may help. Too dated for many modern designs but still lots of useful ideas

You may also need: -
Woodworking Mistakes and Solutions, R.J. DeCristoforo (Paperback, 1996)
Fixing and Avoiding Woodworking Mistakes, Sandor Nagyszalanczy

laika

Visit site
Boat Interior Construction, Michael Naujok, Adlard Coles Nautical, ISBN 0-7136-6357-X It is based on modern boat interiors using wood mouldings, ply, typical DIY tools. I found it a good book having only basic school woodworking skills and it guided me through some bits and bobs. I would recommend this book.

If that's the book I think it is (If it is, my copy is in a box in storage) it wouldn't be one I'd recommend having considerably *less* than basic school woodworking. If it *is* the book I'm thinking of it was a high-level description of doing a complete interior rebuild along the lines of "I made this bit then I made that bit and then I made that bit and ta dah!" when what I wanted was smaller scope but perhaps a more detailed description of basic techniques which are perhaps obvious to the intended audience but not to me. Of course I might be talking about a completely different book but the author of mine was a northern european and the cover looks similar.

pandos

Visit site
What ever you do. The carpentry/joinery in the final design should reflect the materials and construction of the original unless you are doing a total refit.

So perhaps this is your starting point as regards the making of the interior. Get an understanding of the original techniques...and the exact materials... proportions etc...Especially the thicknesses and means of jointing..

Once you have identified these youtube will be your friend for learning how to process the timber..

Ceirwan

Visit site
If that's the book I think it is (If it is, my copy is in a box in storage) it wouldn't be one I'd recommend having considerably *less* than basic school woodworking. If it *is* the book I'm thinking of it was a high-level description of doing a complete interior rebuild along the lines of "I made this bit then I made that bit and then I made that bit and ta dah!" when what I wanted was smaller scope but perhaps a more detailed description of basic techniques which are perhaps obvious to the intended audience but not to me. Of course I might be talking about a completely different book but the author of mine was a northern european and the cover looks similar.

I have to second this, I didn't find the book hugely useful, its an interesting read and you may get some inspiration from it, but its very short on how to do stuff. And it does on a few occasions fall into the 'take this bit to a professional' habbit that I find very annoying in DIY books.

Books I've found useful are:
This old Boat - Don Casey - Covers lots of basic stuff, but lots of very useful info as well, I found it very helpful on my refits.
Boat Joinery & Cabinet Making Simplified - Fred. P. Bingham - Very helpful book that actually addresses 'how' to do things as well as providing lots of tips, inspiration, & even basic ergonomic measurements.

D

Deleted member 36384

I don’t recognize the criticisms having done exactly what the OP is planning

Carpentry and woodwork is the query.

The OP is confident in electrics and mechanics. I found the tips in my referenced book excellent. For example, the book shows on the chapter “Doors, frames and spring catches”, how to make from ply and moldings the sort of things I assume a minor refit “to maximize storage” would require. Also the section on “Making curves and corners” was very useful allowing me to visualize my requirements. Lastly, the section “Wood Cladding for for Inner Hull and Headlinings” helped understand batten lining.

I just found the pictures of the boat fit out, description of the methods, very useful in visualizing and planning what I had to do using modern materials.

However, I agree there are always other ideas and opinions as well.

Other threads that may be of interest