Interior painting?

Cin70

Visit site
Does anyone have experience of painting the interior of their narrowboat, and if so what paint did you use? I'm struggling to make a decision on what to buy. It is currently marine ply so I will sand and prime.

TrueBlue

Visit site
This is not the best forum to ask about narrowboats - they're very much in a minority and looked down upon (folks don't know what they're missing).
I suggest you try canalworld.net or the London Facebook pages.
Please don't paint it white..... (you wil..)
Mine's all varnished oak inside and two pack heavy duty outside.

Last edited:

Poignard

Visit site
Does anyone have experience of painting the interior of their narrowboat, and if so what paint did you use? I'm struggling to make a decision on what to buy. It is currently marine ply so I will sand and prime.
I don't have a narrowboat (unfortunately) but my sailing yacht has painted ply panelling and I find Dulux kitchen emulsion is durable, easy to keep clean and easy to refurbish. And cheap!

Gavin E

Visit site
Have a look at the valspar range in b & q. Selection of different paint grades for various uses in matt/satin/gloss etc and any colour you want. I used the exterior grade for timber in a satin finish, with a primer, and it's still good in our galley after three years. No mould and easy to wipe down and keep clean. I've also used the same paint for an outside shoe rack and that's holding up very well too. Not a cheap paint, but it is good.

Cin70

Visit site
This is not the best forum to ask about narrowboats - they're very much in a minority and looked down upon (folks don't know what they're missing).
I suggest you try canalworld.net or the London Facebook pages.
Please don't paint it white..... (you wil..)
Mine's all varnished oak inside and two pack heavy duty outside.
If ours were oak we wouldn't touch it, but sadly it's not. We are thinking of painting only some of it, so some will be natural wood.

Thanks for the responses all.