Interesting trip back?

Fergus

Visit site
We lost 2 spinny hallyards due to unknown source of chafe in the masthead, arrived in record time in the drizzle, genny would not furl, snapped furling line in the process, genny would not come down, engine had a hissy fit on the middle of the harbour entrance, eventually managed to get the sail down, cabin now filled with wet sails, we were exhausted but a great sail!

Fergus

Visit site
We left at 7 and arrived at 5 - quite an adventure! Good to catch up - I'll make sure I keep a look out for you (season pretty much finished for us now with all the genny problems - SWMBO needs a rest!)

duncan

Visit site
Thought I saw your tender on your mooring Sat when I went past - what were the conditions like in the morning on the way back? Could Phaeton have run back early on the plane or did it get up pretty quickly?

We ended up fishing about 1/3 of the way to Cherbourg on Sat but the forecast for Sunday dictated we head N not South when we pulled the anchor this year!

Fergus

Visit site
got up to about 25kn SW and quite lumpy but comfortable on a broad reach - don't know whether you would have been happy on the plane..

duncan

Visit site
thanks - would certainly be unhappy off it at about 6 knots with the sea overtaking me!

looks like the right call anyway - it was your turn to have the conditions after the oily millpond of last years return.

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
graham took some pictures of L-in-B as we crossed behind you, Nigel. he'll probably send them to you in the next couple of days.

We did 10 hours Cherbourg to Bridge Buoy, but 72 miles over the ground, due to broad reaching and avoiding and dead runs. Too rolly for that.

fireball

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
due to broad reaching and avoiding and dead runs. Too rolly for that.

[/ QUOTE ] So you can't sail up wind or dead down wind ... I thought you'd bought a boat not a soap dish!! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Btw - thanks for the use of your hose on Sat, I was going to offer you my assistance in squirting it down your forehatch, but your crew returned /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Cheers!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

fireball

Visit site
Ah - but the question is .... did you get your cruising chute up?

I'd got the lines out the bottom of the locker, but didn't bother /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Maybe we should've done for the morning .... but I didn't really want to blow it out as it is quite a light weight sail ...

I beat my record from last year - 3 times last year ... 4 this year (Little bro was counting - I'd given up!) ... it's not really a problem as I know I'll get sick so don't bother trying to stop it once I've started feeling bad ... but other than a dodgy stomach I was quite happy to take the helm ... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I heard someone else was ill on the way over too .. ? But that it was caused by black stuff and not the green stuff ...

graham

Visit site
We were debating the cruisinmg chute outside Cherbourg on the way back but opted for a full English first by the time we had finished mopping our plates it was a bit breezy so had to settle for 6 to 8. something knots under plain sail. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Interesting report and pictures .I hadnt realized it was your first crossing as skipper.

I hope Nigel appreciated our long charge across on a broad reach purely to take some pics of Lady in Red . /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

fireball

Visit site
Ta ..

yup - the longest trip I've skippered - and only my second time across the channel - it isn't any different to local sailing with the exception that it takes a darn sight longer and you can't just turn into the nearest port when you've had enough ...

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Just after you crossed us, we turned down wind and goose winged to Poole. I was surprised that I didn't rock & roll, in fact it was more comfortable than the corkscrew with the wind on the quarter!

If anyone didn't see them, Grahams pics are on Becky's Post. It is nice to have some pics that aren't of a boat on flat calm water or tied up to a pontoon. Once again, thanks Graham