Interesting pics highlighting stranded ships' crews

ronsurf

Visit site
I learned about the Yellow Fleet the other day. The crews of 12 ships stranded in the Suez Canal after the Six Days War. They were stranded for 8 years.

Puts the pandemic into perspective

Romeo

Visit site
I learned about the Yellow Fleet the other day. The crews of 12 ships stranded in the Suez Canal after the Six Days War. They were stranded for 8 years.

"Up to 400,000 seafarers have been trapped on board cargo ships during the Covid pandemic, some for more than 18 months " - Puts 12 ships in the Suez Canal into perspective (although I am not quite sure how you can have been trapped for 18 months by a pandemic that has been declared for less than 12 months...... although i think we know what they mean.

JumbleDuck

Visit site

The ships were certainly stuck there, but according to the Wiki of a Thousand Lies:

In time, it was possible to reduce the number of crew members on board the ships, and in 1969 the ships were gathered into several groups to further reduce the number of crew necessary for their upkeep. Those crew that were left to maintain the vessels were rotated every three months. In 1972, the last crew members of the German ships were finally sent home, with the maintenance of the ships left to a Norwegian company.

savageseadog

Visit site
1080.jpg

Good job they weren't on a Chinese ship

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Yes well, down ere in the S Devon area we presently have about 5 Cruise Liners standing off shore awaiting their next orders to sail to their next waiting places; they appear to move around depending on where the direction of next Winter Gale is forcast; so they appear to move along towards Southampton at times ten move back ere again; the Liners took part in sounding their Sirens on the Poppy Day rememberance, all in sync and on cue; some locals organised collections for the crews plus sent Christmas Cards to celebtrate Christmas; similar with New Years Eve sounding off their Horns and appeared to be Lit Up Overall at Night; some tripping boats have been running organised trips out to see the Cruise Liners close up; so guess that you could say we have embraced them into our South Devon hospitality;

Yes its an ill wind that that brings forth no good at all ?

Uricanejack

Visit site
"Up to 400,000 seafarers have been trapped on board cargo ships during the Covid pandemic, some for more than 18 months " - Puts 12 ships in the Suez Canal into perspective (although I am not quite sure how you can have been trapped for 18 months by a pandemic that has been declared for less than 12 months...... although i think we know what they mean.
Many particularly 3rd world crews are on 1 year contracts, quite possible even probable many had been in the later part of thier year when this hit.
Repatriation, of 3rd world crews, may not be high on priority lists. And not easy. With flight and travel restrictions.
I would expect most reputable companies still try.
Double-edged sword. Many seafarers may not be getting work they had relied upon. Because they can’t get to ships.

cruise ships crews, probably heavily effected reduced to minimum manning for maintenance until who knows when.
many other types of ship are still operating.
I habitually count the ships at anchor when walking the mutt every afternoon.
things are clearly slower, very unusual to see box boats anchored for days.
but they still come and go.

life on board is probably much more restricted than it was prior to this. Many modern ships have limited opertunity for the crew to go ashore. Few 3rd world crews can afford to go ashore in the western world, except for a visit to the flying angle or stall maris. Or botlecks if it still exists.
Geting ashore now must be very restricted. Plus adds risk of bringing the COVID on board,
I think the lack of opportunity to get ashore would be one of the most noticeable effects. P

Last edited:

rgh27

Visit site
Many particularly 3rd world crews are on 1 year contracts, quite possible even probable many had been in the later part of thier year when this hit.
Repatriation, of 3rd world crews, may not be high on priority lists. And not easy. With flight and travel restrictions.
I would expect most reputable companies still try.
Double-edged sword. Many seafarers may not be getting work they had relied upon. Because they can’t get to ships.

cruise ships crews, probably heavily effected reduced to minimum manning for maintenance until who knows when.
many other types of ship are still operating.
I habitually count the ships at anchor when walking the mutt every afternoon.
things are clearly slower, very unusual to see box boats anchored for days.
but they still come and go.

life on board is probably much more restricted than it was prior to this. Many modern ships have limited opertunity for the crew to go ashore. Few 3rd world crews can afford to go ashore in the western world, except for a visit to the flying angle or stall maris. Or botlecks if it still exists.
Geting ashore now must be very restricted. Plus adds risk of bringing the COVID on board,
I think the lack of opportunity to get ashore would be one of the most noticeable effects. P
Some seafarers have been stuck aboard for 14 months or longer with few or no opportunities for shore leave. Crew changes are happening but there are still alot of problems in some ports around the world. In my day job I'm a CEO of an international seafarer welfare charity. We work with the ITF Seafarers Trust, who organised the photo competition, ship owners, unions, and the seafarer missions. There is a real problem with the mental wellbeing of seafarers deteriorating.

Adios

Visit site
Some seafarers have been stuck aboard for 14 months or longer with few or no opportunity for shore leave. Crew changes are happening but there are still alot of problems in some ports around the world. In my day job I'm a CEO of an international seafarer welfare charity. We work with the ITF Seafarers Trust, who organised the photo competition, ship owners, unions, and the seafarer missions. There a real problem with the mental wellbeing of seafarers deteriorating.
I know there are other issues to consider but are most of them at least getting paid?