Insurance Wrangle

Halo

Visit site
I have been with my insurance provider for 30years. I was about to renew when I decided to use some of the extra time I have under lockdown to read my existing policy documents line by line.

My cover is coastal and inland waters from La Rochelle to Elba and Eire. When I read the policy booklet it said that coastal waters are up to 12 miles offshore. I phoned the company and said what happens if I have an accident more than 12 miles from the coast - answer - then you are not covered. I said with this definition I cannot sail ( insured ) directly from Flamborough to Lowestoft or cross to Netherlands or Eire. What is the point of such a wide area of coverage if you cannot get across the sea except near Dover or Portpatrick !!

I got quotes and have bought a new policy with Saga insurance. They do not need a survey for boats under 25 years and I can go in a straight line anywhere in the area of insurance - which is the same as before. My new premium is 40% less than the renewal offer from the old insurer.

I have no connection to Saga other than as a policy holder.

awol

Visit site
I wonder for how many of those 30 years you have been uninsured when over 12 miles from shore? Did you notice Saga's definition of water ingress and their view on consequential damage? We should all follow your example and carefully read our policies - thinking you know what is in them may not match the current version.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I had that restriction in my original GJW policy quote. They cheerfully extended cover to the whole Irish Sea (I wanted to go to the IoM) at no extra charge.

matt1

Visit site
Interesting because in diving into a lot more detail with insurance lately (looking for some fairly extended sh cover) I found almost the same descriptive wording as the OP when looking at my current policy (whom I’ve been with for 20+yrs). I was a bit shocked as I have been sailing outside that description regularly. When I asked them about it they reassured me it included beyond 12 miles and sent me some additional wording

ip485

Visit site
Well done for dumping then. It may be worth naming and shaming even if it saves one other person being caught out.

Sandy

Visit site
I was surprised when I discovered the same with GJW at the Southampton Boat Show in 2018, I asked as I often am 15 miles out. I was advised that if you at on passage from shall we say Plymouth to Roscoff you are covered. It might be worth checking with your company that SAGA have on passage cover.

I found SAGA was four times the cost of GJW when I asked for a quote.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I asked as I often am 15 miles out. I was advised that if you at on passage from shall we say Plymouth to Roscoff you are covered. It might be worth checking with your company that SAGA have on passage cover.

I am a bit sceptical of the value of verbal assurances, especially from what are basically sales people, that cover is provided beyond what is stated in the policy.

I am also puzzled about this idea of 'on passage'. What voyage extending more than 12 miles offshore is not 'on passage', even if it's only a passage around some notional offshore point and then back home for tea?

Halo

Visit site
I did check that with Saga. I am covered on passage between any harbour within the area specified in the policy - La Rochelle , Elbe, Eire

rickwales

Visit site
I have been with my insurance provider for 30years. I was about to renew when I decided to use some of the extra time I have under lockdown to read my existing policy documents line by line.

My cover is coastal and inland waters from La Rochelle to Elba and Eire. When I read the policy booklet it said that coastal waters are up to 12 miles offshore. I phoned the company and said what happens if I have an accident more than 12 miles from the coast - answer - then you are not covered. I said with this definition I cannot sail ( insured ) directly from Flamborough to Lowestoft or cross to Netherlands or Eire. What is the point of such a wide area of coverage if you cannot get across the sea except near Dover or Portpatrick !!

I got quotes and have bought a new policy with Saga insurance. They do not need a survey for boats under 25 years and I can go in a straight line anywhere in the area of insurance - which is the same as before. My new premium is 40% less than the renewal offer from the old insurer.

I Recently also had a very competitive quote from Saga without survey on a 22 year old boat

Sandy

Visit site
I am a bit sceptical of the value of verbal assurances, especially from what are basically sales people, that cover is provided beyond what is stated in the policy.

I am also puzzled about this idea of 'on passage'. What voyage extending more than 12 miles offshore is not 'on passage', even if it's only a passage around some notional offshore point and then back home for tea?
I have always found GJW to honour their word. And yes my question was about heading well offshore and being back for tea.

How they cannot cover a vessel in continental waters and not cover the 75 nm trip between the 12 nm limit would leave me head scratching.

The conversation was part of a much wider one about cover for an Adlantic crossing and then moving into the Pacific. The conversation was both informative and encouraging. Talk to us about your plans and we will do our best to accommodate you.

Birdseye

Visit site

Excellent. You have finally done what you should have done every year. You frequently read moans about insurers hiding behind the small print and its absolute nonsense. When you buy insurance you buy cover for certain conditions and you should make sure you are happy with those conditions before you pay up.
Whats more its only sensib;le to check alternative offers every year not every 30 years.

peteK

Visit site

I got quotes and have bought a new policy with Saga insurance. They do not need a survey for boats under 25 years and I can go in a straight line anywhere in the area of insurance - which is the same as before. My new premium is 40% less than the renewal offer from the old

You must have been paying a horrendous amount and not realised it with your old insurer if Saga is 40% cheaper and Saga is not known to be cheap.