Insurance - Curtis Marine

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
I've said this before but will say it again. Not all Topsail policies are the same.

Some people are offered Topsail's own policy with their own wording (as good as Y) with delegated authority from N&G.

They also act as a broker for N&G and other insurers with the provider's standard policy wording.

Hurricane

Visit site
I've said this before but will say it again. Not all Topsail policies are the same.

Some people are offered Topsail's own policy with their own wording (as good as Y) with delegated authority from N&G.

They also act as a broker for N&G and other insurers with the provider's standard policy wording.
Well, in my experience , Topsoil did not offer me the best alternative to my old Y policy. And when I decided to move to a Curtis offer, it was only then that they tried to offer a cheaper/different worded offer.
I expect a broker to do their best for ME without me threatening to go elsewhere.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Well, in my experience , Topsoil did not offer me the best alternative to my old Y policy. And when I decided to move to a Curtis offer, it was only then that they tried to offer a cheaper/different worded offer.
I expect a broker to do their best for ME without me threatening to go elsewhere.
All I can do is recount my experience Mike. Topsail charged my almost exactly the same as Y with virtually identical policy wordings.

I can fully understand why someone would want to shop aroundounf if their premium has increased or they've been offered an inferior policy.

Sandyshore

Visit site
Is Curtis owned by Towergate Marine ?
Perhaps the owners of Curtis and Towergate could offer an insight as to how they operate.
Just asking as rather confusing to the layman.

KevinT1

Visit site
I had a surreal conversation with Curtis - when asked if they covered “consequential loss” and gave the example of
a) through hull failing causing the yacht to sink or
b) jammed gearbox and ending up on the rocks,
and after asking them to refer it the underwriters, then I was told that they wouldn’t confirm if they either case was covered and it would be up to the claims assessor !

On the other hand , Topsails policy was very clear and Claire Froggatt couldn’t have been more helpful.

Curtis’s proposal was £120 cheaper than Topsails ( £720 ) , both were with with Zurich / Navigators and General.

Previously with Y Yacht Insurance, I’ve ( stayed ) with Topsail and the £720 reflects the same premium as I paid last year with Y Yacht Ins

Cheap doesn’t equate to good value !

Hooligan

Visit site
Is Curtis owned by Towergate Marine ?
Perhaps the owners of Curtis and Towergate could offer an insight as to how they operate.
Just asking as rather confusing to the layman.
Curtis Marine is family owned at least according to public data. I got quite a big increase on my premium from previous insurer and tried Curtis based on H experience. The result was a 25 pc reduction on my renewal. The Curtis policy is essentially Amlin which in my opinion has the best wording re many of the issues raised above. Specifically there are no exclusions due to line of sight etc if you leave the boat and I checked just in case and got a satisfactory answer. I should add that the service was excellent although to be fair to previous broker so were they

doug748

Visit site
I suspect (but don't know) that they used to trade as Colin Curtis Insurance, an established local company in marine insurance. They used to be on the Barbican in Plymouth, where, in the 1970s /80's you would deal with Colin Curtis himself.

Greg2

Visit site
I just took out another policy with Curtis for a Norfolk Gypsy day sailer. I didn’t seek any alternative quotes because their quote was competitive with what people on a forum said they were paying for an identical boat in 2011! Another Nav & Gen policy that appears to be the same as our mobo policy.