Insurance - Curtis Marine

Greg2

Visit site
We were previously insured with Y Yacht Insurance and the transition to Topsail has been discussed on here. When our renewal came through it was about the same price as the previous year with Y but our cruising range had been reduced. We spoke with Topsail to see if there was any room for negotiation and they did come up with some alternatives but with a trade off on excess and loss of marina benefits. Fair play to them for trying.

We sought various alternative quotes from well known insures (including Pantenius, Craftinsure & GJW) but specifically got one from Curtis Marine, who had been recommended by Hurricane in this thread.

All quotes were fairly similar but Curtis were notably cheaper. When I say notably the rest were in the region of 40-60% more expensive. The policy offered was from Nav and Gen and whilst I don’t have the legal acumen of JFM, having scrutinised all polices offered I concluded that Curtis were okay and addressed key points that I thought were important.

Worth speaking to them when next renewing.

No connection with them - just happy with their price and policy.

Last edited:

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
www.jensenengland.co.uk
I found Curtis came back with a very competitive price (was with Y) but I found my requirement for leaving the boat at anchor while going ashore (for a short time) was not well covered. I had lots of assurances from Curtis and their communications were excellent but I needed something a bit more specific on the insurance document.
I ran out of time in the end and went to Topsail (expensive!)
I understand that I’ll never get exactly the words I want but will try Curtis again next year. Nice people.

Greg2

Visit site
I found Curtis came back with a very competitive price (was with Y) but I found my requirement for leaving the boat at anchor while going ashore (for a short time) was not well covered. I had lots of assurances from Curtis and their communications were excellent but I needed something a bit more specific on the insurance document.
I ran out of time in the end and went to Topsail (expensive!)
I understand that I’ll never get exactly the words I want but will try Curtis again next year. Nice people.

An interesting point. I know that it is a real issue for Med boaters but unless I was missing something I couldn’t find much on the anchoring topic in any of the policies I reviewed.

Momac

Visit site
Both Topsail and Curtis are brokers so in theory they should be able to offer the same insurances.

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
www.jensenengland.co.uk
Both Topsail and Curtis are brokers so in theory they should be able to offer the same insurances.
Agree. When I asked Curtis to provide a quote from N&G (as Topsail had done) they continued to give me assurances that the company they had chosen (I forget the name) would suit my needs. That's when I gave up for this year.

ashtead

Visit site
Brokers can be either a soulus provider offering just one underwriters product ( you often see a company will be an appointed representative of an insurer if not regulated in only right) or have a small panel say 4or5 underwriters whose rates will vary depending on appetites for certain risks which vary depending on how full their bucket is . An insurer like Zurich will have direct cover via N&G brand plus cover distributed via brokers branded by the broker who takes around 40% of your premium and might also get a profit share based on scheme performance. Whoever your cover is offered by do check if you have UK compensation scheme rights should your insurer go bust .

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Agree. When I asked Curtis to provide a quote from N&G (as Topsail had done) they continued to give me assurances that the company they had chosen (I forget the name) would suit my needs. That's when I gave up for this year.
That’s odd, I used them to insure my boat in Spain, N&G was the company they chose.

ashtead

Visit site
N&G is a brand nowadays LJS not an insurer (although historically it was a separate regulated UK insurance company) so cover would have been written by the Irish branch of Zurich insurance (a Swiss regulated insurer) so if your vessel was in Spain cover was either provided by the Irish branch underwriting cross broader into Spain or maybe by a local branch of Zurich also using the N&G brand. Curtis will have a terms of business agreement with Zurich allowing them to write in a number of EU locations provided Zurich has right permissions and passporting rights into that EU country. Post Brexit after a lot of paperwork same arrangements so far as insurer is concerned will apply however the costs of doing this might cause some insurers and brokers like Curtis deciding it’s not worth continuing to trade out of say Ireland into Spain etc. There is also issue of some regulators like the CBI being overwhelmed by the additional regulatory business generated by Brexit which has led to broker frustration.

jon and michie

Visit site
My quote from top sail was nearly £150 higher than the one I ended up with and it was like for like and the same under writers - although there was a "personal" letter like you used to get from Y Yatch

pks1702

Visit site
Thanks for the update Greg - very useful.

I am going to be in the same position shortly so good to hear you have a satisfied alternative.

Like others I have been with Y for a while and managed to get last years hike rowed back on a bit after a large one the year before but steeling myself for a jump this year.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
An interesting point. I know that it is a real issue for Med boaters but unless I was missing something I couldn’t find much on the anchoring topic in any of the policies I reviewed.
Anchoring exclusions aren't an issue for all Med boaters. JFM was perfectly happy with his Y policy (that made no mention of anchoring) despite him frequently anchoring his Sq78. Likewise, for quite a few of us Med boaters.

As I've said before, Topsail offer a N&G underwritten policy with their own wording (virtually identical to the Y policy) and also a standard N&G policy. The former is preferable so it's worth establishing what you are being offered at renewal.

My Topsail policy (with Y wording) was actually cheaper than when it was with Y so they're not always more expensive!

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Just had my renewal from Topsail, used to be with Y Yacht. Even forgetting the large price increase, renewal certainly not acceptable, although it clearly states mooring based, this is on the reverse -

MARINA REQUIREMENT For any period in excess of 24 hours when the owner, skipper or permitted user are not onboard and in control of the Vessel, it is a condition of this policy that the Vessel must be berthed in a marina or laid-up ashore

Two other conditions of concern -

due to the person in charge of the vessel being impaired by alcohol or drugs; What is impaired? medical advice is even one small beer can have an effect.

water getting into the vessel unless sudden and unforeseen; Undetected leaking stern gland or keel joint not covered?

Although they're enquiring about the marina clause, I think it's time to shop around.

Momac

Visit site
Just had my renewal from Topsail, used to be with Y Yacht. Even forgetting the large price increase, renewal certainly not acceptable, although it clearly states mooring based, this is on the reverse -

MARINA REQUIREMENT For any period in excess of 24 hours when the owner, skipper or permitted user are not onboard and in control of the Vessel, it is a condition of this policy that the Vessel must be berthed in a marina or laid-up ashore
The above not really a problem for most people , I suspect. But obviously does not suit you.

On the alcohol matter it would seem reasonable for the limits for drink driving on the road would apply and this could be applied by any insurer since any insurance requires the insured to take reasonable care.

I you are not happy you are free to shop around as I did earlier this year. In the end Topsail offered me a discount off the lowest premium for satisfactory policy wording which I had found elsewhere.

russ

Visit site
Just did a Curtis online quote which came up higher than expected although not yet received my Y renewal quotation for comparison.
Their quotation does require that you should state the price paid for the boat and not present value. Which in todays market is way off.

Momac

Visit site
Insurers may be unaware of increased values of used boats after years of static values. We dont know yet if those increased values will stick.

Hurricane

Visit site
Just did a Curtis online quote which came up higher than expected although not yet received my Y renewal quotation for comparison.
Their quotation does require that you should state the price paid for the boat and not present value. Which in todays market is way off.
Value was a major part of my discussion with Curtis. I suggest that you give them a phone call. And remember that Curtis are happy to give you a discount for being a member of this forum.

Scubadoo

Visit site
You are best to call Curtis rather than use the online quote system as it is more restrictive. I found them to be very helpful and moved from Topsail as the policy was better and cheaper!

Momac

Visit site
Topsail have human beings you can talk to or email also. I think both Curtis and Topsail are worth a try but the first offer is unlikley to be the best available offer.