Insurance advice after **** day

bedouin

Visit site
I would imagine he does. Of greater interest is that if Hummingbird is not repaired by 1st March, due to various insurers arguing and not making a decision, and thorough no fault of his own he loses sailing time can he then charter a yacht and bill the guilty party's insurance company?
The problem, of course, is deciding who "the guilty party" is. It ain't he!
Unless it is an explicit condition in his own insurance policy (and it won't be) he has no legal right to claim such costs. He has a duty to minimise his losses, so if he thinks he will incur additional losses by not getting the work done immediately then he needs to get the boat fixed and argue about the costs later.

mikemonty

Visit site
Have you actually read all the posts?
I was giving you the benifit of the doubt about not having really understood which boat was Clyde Wanderers and which one was at fault.

i have tried to be polite by ignoring the crass remarks about how well the wanderers boat is propped.
what is it you guys dont get about my point? i can only assume you are being deliberately obtuse.
once again, making it simple yet again: if you park your boat next to other boats that are not well propped, or if others park their boats badly next to yours and you say nothing then i believe that that lack of action by you to be "reckless" behaviour.
now does anyone have the wherewithal to discuss my point rather than twittering on about how well clyde parked his boat?

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that CW has informed the yard that he does not consider the next boats props to be sufficient...
If the yard decides not to do anything about it - or believe that their work is OK - how can CW be apportioned any blame of be considered "reckless" for having his boat there?
He has no control over where the yard places his boat or any other.
Even if he has NOT informed the yard, he,or any other member of the public, is not to be considered expert - or even knowlegable - about such things and cannot be held responsible for appraising the condition of someone else's boat.
His boatyard is under a flightpath, is he part responsible if a plane falls out the sky on it because he knew there was a possibility?

Boomshanka

Visit site
You could easily see the scenario of your boat coming out, say, in December - you see her parked up in a cradle, no other boats around - it's been a mild autumn... drive off home, knowing that with Xmas and work commitments, you won't be back until March... Storm comes through a week later... how are you supposed to even know what boats have been parked next door, let alone the methods to prop them? The yard is presumably contracted to lift and prop, at a push I could see that each owner should at least be satisfied with their own boat's arrangements, but even then - they've subbed the job out to the yard.

Clyde_Wanderer

Visit site
Just to clarify a few points on this thread.
There is a new mast on its way for Hummingbird, (somewhere) and hopefully it will be fitted and all hunkydory for april.

I have no intentions of discussing on here who may or may not be at fault, only to say it was not me.

The recorded wind gust (at the airport) withen the hour that HB got damaged, was 61mph, higher gusts were recorded later on in the day after the incident.

I will be paying my yard storage fees as I do every other year, cant see what it has to do with the incident.

Thanks to all of you who posted words of sympathy and support.

As for Viago, dont know who you are, but I would quit while you are ahead!;)
C_W

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
I was surprised that the gust was only 61mph as that isn't exactly unusual for that time of year. I was a concerned about my own boat at that time and the marina mentioned that they had recorded a 108mph gust. Might not have been accurate but we had over 100mph at home on other side of the country. But boat is at Ardrossan and BBC keep sendeing reporters there to get soaked whenever it's windy. So not too surprised at 100+mph.

I assume that CW was well South of the airport so local gust could have been higher. I'm just guessing that his boat was at Largs.

I used to take mast down on previous boats but left it up with this one. She is on a 6 point cradle with prop under the stern. After completion of winterising in Nov. I asked the yard guys about props. They said they'd be putting them in before any bad weather arrived.

I went down a week after the last storm and found no additional props. in sight on my boat. Others on 4 point cradles do have them. Nothing dreadful on horizon at the moment so I'll probably just discuss props. on my next visit. I've always found the staff to be very professional and helpful so don't see any problem arising.

Lots of people from England (+ some from Norway, USA etc.) seem to leave boats there. I guess that they have to rely on the yard and can't check everything they do. So I can't see any insurance issues if they pay for a professional service but can't stay around to check how it is carried out.

I do hope everything turns out well for CW and that he doesn't lose much sailing. I'd offer him some sails this season but am planning an early departure from the Clyde.

Clyde_Wanderer

Visit site
Thanks Mistroma.
The wind speed record for that day was from a website and was recorded at Glasgow airport, my boat is only a matter of a couple hundred yards from airport, Bear in mind this was Dec8th not the jan storm.
Thanks Viago for the pm.
C_W

Visit site
100% go through your insurance. What makes you sure the owner of the other boat is liable? Perhaps it is whoever propped the boat up - or perhaps it is just an Act of God. Just not worth getting into that sort of argument if you want to be sailing again this decade.

There's practical common sense here.

As I understand it, the basic principle here is that any claim should restore you to the state you were in before the accident. That means that the upper limit is the value of your boat plus any incidentals. You cannot claim, if you were daft enough to do so, to spend 20k on repairing a boat that was only worth 10k. Instead you get the 10k to replace the boat with another.

EuanMcKenzie

Visit site
One thing that puzzles me looking at the picture

you appear to be on the harbour side of the yard so he must have been to the east of you

why didn't he fall away from you?

Was the wind easterly or was it just that the prop loosened and fell out on the windward side and then the boat fell back on itself.

Good to see hummingbird will be out and about next season

Euan

sailorman

Visit site

you appear to be on the harbour side of the yard so he must have been to the east of you

Was the wind easterly or was it just that the prop loosened and fell out on the windward side and then the boat fell back on itself.

Euan

might have twisted about her keel displacing the poorly braced & fitted props

Clyde_Wanderer

Visit site

Euan

Euan, it appears that the bow lifted to a height of about 12-15ft and she then spun clockwise (looking down from above), at the same time she tilted towards HB and her keel slid towards her port side, her foresail furling foil slid down HBs backstay pushing HBs aft end down and towards starboard side before breaking HBs mast, she then slid away from HB while still falling causing her pulpit rail to clip HBs portside toe rail midships, chipping the Gel-coat on toe rail and damaging the rubbing strake, she then came to rest with her mast sitting at an angle above HBs cockpit.

I am glad in a way that I had not unstepped my mast this winter because if my mast was down my backtsay would not have slowed the other boats fall her bow probably would have landed fast and heavily on HBs cockpit area causing severe structural damage and maybe even breaking HB in two at the forward end of the cockpit.
C_W

Clyde_Wanderer

Visit site
Had word from Riggers today that my mast which is getting assembled and fitted at Selden down south will be ready for despatch on 22nd of this very month.
Me thinks the boom is about ready at the riggers.
So things are looking good for an april launch and the scuttlebutt meet up:) although struggling to get time to renew the rubbing strake.
The new mast is going to be a Selden D21-C175 twin spreader job.
Wonder what if any effect it will have on performance:confused:
Guess it will be much lighter up top for starters, Oh, and much shinier all over:)
C_W

Spyro

Visit site
Good news Eamonn. Do you need to have a new mast base fitted or new chain plates? Any extra shrouds?
What about the hull damage is that as bad as first thought?

Clyde_Wanderer

Visit site
Good news Eamonn. Do you need to have a new mast base fitted or new chain plates? Any extra shrouds?
What about the hull damage is that as bad as first thought?

Yes Ian a new mast step is getting fitted along with all new standing rigging, original chain plates are staying.
Seemingly the new cap shrouds run through lower spreader outer ends up to masthead and continue down to terminate at outer ends of either top or lower spreaders, forget is this called 'continious' or 'discontinious' rigging.
Also getting fitted with Plastimo 811s roller furling system.
No external cracking or crazing on hull, internal bulkheads dislodged/some delamination internally and will also be getting repaired.
You done much with Shearwater this winter?
C_W

Spyro

Visit site
Yes Ian a new mast step is getting fitted along with all new standing rigging, original chain plates are staying.
Seemingly the new cap shrouds run through lower spreader outer ends up to masthead and continue down to terminate at outer ends of either top or lower spreaders, forget is this called 'continious' or 'discontinious' rigging.
Also getting fitted with Plastimo 811s roller furling system.
No external cracking or crazing on hull, internal bulkheads dislodged/some delamination internally and will also be getting repaired.
You done much with Shearwater this winter?
C_W

Not had too much to do. Just the usual 10min jobs that take an hour and hour jobs that take all day. In the process of fixing a leaking hatch at the moment.
Looking forward to antifouling :(:(:(