Insurance advice after **** day

gardenshed

Visit site
Clyde Wanderer,

Really sorry to see the damage.
Yes contact your insurance company, but if you want to ensure that they are dealing with the problem properly, you could consider engaging a marine surveyor to act on your behalf. There are a lot of good ones on the clyde and GJW will probably appoint one to act in your/their behalf but if you don't get a feeling of confidence from him/her, get your own man on the job. I know exactly who I would appoint if it was me, but then it is someone that I have known for 30 years and sailed many miles with.
Key is to act quickly so that your damage is handled quickly by the available resources if they agree that it is an economical repair.
Then, start looking at the upsides:
What else can you get fixed/repaired at the same time?
What will you get access to when the boat is stripped out for the repairs
New mast and rigging
etc etc

Liability: Boat next to you, the yard .... leave that to your insurers

Hope this sad tale has a good outcome

Rustyknight

Visit site
Sorry to hear about the damage to your boat, you must feel gutted at the moment.

Some years ago my boat was damaged whilst alongside Poole Quay, when a storm blew up in the middle of the night. A few cleats were ripped out of the deck, and a clash of masts with a Sigma 33 alongside caused some damage to the mast and spreaders.

I rang GJW as soon as possible, and as well as posting off a claim form, they arranged a rigger (approved by GJW) to come out that day to inspect the damage and give estimates for any repair work. Very minor compared to your woes, but quite a painless process.

In your shoes, I'd phone GJW and ask for a bit of help...... talking to a claims handler if possible. A quote from their website, a portion of which I've put on bold text....

When you contact us about a claim we will send you a claim form for completion and will at the same time provide specific advice and if necessary appoint an impartial surveyor. You may download the claim form from our web site and send it to us electronically. Ideally we would welcome the opportunity of speaking with you at the outset.

The surveyor will ascertain cause, nature and extent of damage and we will consider your claim on his advice together with comments and information provided by you. If the incident does not give rise to an insured claim or only part of the cost of repair or reinstatement is covered we will provide a full explanation in writing.

Good luck!

scottie

Visit site
Sorry to hear and see your damage it certainly puts my blown down fence in perspective.
Where is the boat stored is it in a yard or club storage and who is responsible for overseeing the way boats are propped up and whether or not masts are removed?

Scottie

awol

Visit site
My sympathies - a total bummer. Yes, involve your insurers who will have a surveyor with you tout de suite. Good luck with it all and keep us informed on TOOP (other, other), we may be able to help. Good luck!

Colvic Watson

Visit site
Afraid Ian that if insurers dont cough up HB will be getting scrapped.
I certainly couldent fork out 10-12k for new mast, rigging, and furling gear.
I would have hoped that the other boat owner's insurers would pay up.
What I really want to know is should I claim through my insurers, GJW?
C_W

Sorry to see your news, if it helps, new mast, rigging and furling for us came out at £5000 on a Colvic Watson Veracity 35

Morven

Visit site
Nasty bit of dammage, my sympathies are with you. Has a surveyor been booke to come and look at it yet? Just out of interest where is that as where I am no yacht is allowed to have the mast up unless it is on a cradle or has bilge keels.

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
Definitely report it to your insurers; whether or not they will sort it out, or throw it back to you, will remain to be seen. Just one thought - there's been several mentions of the word "negligence" in this thread. Whatever you do, don't say anything that implies that the damage was caused by neglect or negligence on the part of anyone - whether the owner of the other boat, the Yard, or whoever. Almost all marine insurance policies cite negligence (on the part of anyone, not just the person insured) as a reason for exclusion from cover. If they think that there is the slightest chance of not paying out, they will exercise this clause.

tobermoryphil

Visit site
A bummer, Eamonn; hope it is all sorted smoothly and quickly.
I was very nearly in the same situation- the boat next to mine still has a furled foresail on- has had for three years- and it unfurled and very nearly took the boat over. It's rusty old trailer started breaking, but the harbourmaster managed to lash the boat to a tree before it went too far.
The foresail is now in ribbons of course.
Phil

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Whatever you do, don't say anything that implies that the damage was caused by neglect or negligence on the part of anyone - whether the owner of the other boat, the Yard, or whoever. Almost all marine insurance policies cite negligence (on the part of anyone, not just the person insured) as a reason for exclusion from cover.

Are you sure about that? If another boat hits you whilst you are at anchor because they have no lookout on deck that is clearly negligence on their part. Are you saying that your insurance will then not cover you? Your insurance would presumably claim the costs from the negligent party.

Richard

DanTribe

Visit site
Very sorry sight and a horrible situation but at least you weren't on board & out at sea.
As has been said on here, let the insurance company take the strain, they are used to this sort of thing.
I had a sizeably claim with GJW a few years ago and they couldn't have been more helpful and considerate. Highly recommended outfit.
I had to go abroad during my claim but they sorted it out in my absence and paid the yard direct, less the excess.

mikemonty

Visit site
Do I claim from my insurers or the other boat owner's insurance, or the latter through my insurers?
I have notified my insurers and they have emailed me a claim form, so should I fill it in?
Would I be liable for excess?
I do have details of the other owners' insurer, and he (owner) is very helpful.
His boat fell of its shores.
C_W[/QUOTE]

Hi Eammon,
I'm insured with GJW through a broker - If you went through a broker call them and see what they can do to progress the matter. (This from one who found out how it works this year bigtime)

Sorry to see this - I haven't been down to the yard to see how mine is (and dreading it) but I had beaching legs up which gives a positive location for at least one prop on either side which can't slip.
GJW were fine with my claim - no problems or disputes, but you are going to have to show them estimates.

Resolution

Visit site
Whatever you do, don't say anything that implies that the damage was caused by neglect or negligence on the part of anyone - whether the owner of the other boat, the Yard, or whoever. Almost all marine insurance policies cite negligence (on the part of anyone, not just the person insured) as a reason for exclusion from cover. .

Don't think this is right.
For example, looking at my policy which is with GJW it explicitly covers negligence "Your vessel is covered for accidents; damage caused by latent defects; negligence; theft......"
But they do NOT cover "loss or damage to your vessel caused by your recklessness or wilful misconduct."

In another policy a few years ago the cover included "negligence" but excluded "gross negligence".

sailorman

Visit site
Greenheartsfinnalrestingplace.jpg

Hummingbirdsbrokenmast.jpg

CompressiondamageonhullSBMidshipspad.jpg

BulkheadbelowSBquarterberthdetachedbycompressiononhull.jpg

Quite a bit of damage done to my boat today.
Broken mast and roller furling kit.
Compression damage at to two areas of hull below waterline, in vacinity of starboard mid and aft cradle pads resulting in a detached bulkhead in locker below quarter berth.
Broken danbouy mounting tube and danbouy shaft/pole.
Damage to toerail and strake.

Do I claim from my insurers or the other boat owner's insurance, or the latter through my insurers?
I have notified my insurers and they have emailed me a claim form, so should I fill it in?
Would I be liable for excess?
I do have details of the other owners' insurer, and he (owner) is very helpful.
His boat fell of its shores.
C_W

Hi CW very sorry to see the damage but GRP is easy to mend.
i note that shores to the Dufour are not cross braced so she could pivot about the keel, did this happen to the boat that struck CW. is so that is gross negligence to my way of thinking.

your internal photo with the dis-bonded bunk top is no great shakes any other GRP damage is straight forward as long as inadequate ins cover, this is where cheap or inadequate cover comes home to roost.
GJW have very good press here

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Hi CW very sorry to see the damage but GRP is easy to mend.
i note that shores to the Dufour are not cross braced so she could pivot about the keel, did this happen to the boat that struck CW. is so that is gross negligence to my way of thinking.

your internal photo with the dis-bonded bunk top is no great shakes any other GRP damage is straight forward as long as inadequate ins cover, this is where cheap or inadequate cover comes home to roost.
GJW have very good press here

You may be teaching granny to suck eggs - Eamonn is a very skilled craftsman in GRP repairs.