Installing new head unit T37

MajorF

Visit site
I am going to replace the existing Sony head unit on my T37 with a newer Sony model DSX-M55BT Marine Receiver with Bluetooth. I understand that the conventional wisdom on cars is to remove the negative battery terminal before installation. Is this action necessary on a boat particularly a T37? Is there anything else I should be aware of?

kashurst

Visit site
There is usually a circuit breaker for each part of a boat's electrical systems - including the radio. Find that and just turn it off. Use a voltmeter to check it really is off at the radio connections just in case someone in the past has done something different.
Boats are mostly made of plastic so as long as you are careful when disconnecting batteries it doesn't matter which terminal you remove first - just make sure the battery charger is OFF before you disconnect any battery connections.
On cars it's usually best to remove the negative terminal first because it is connected to the body and engine. So if your spanner touches anything whilst undoing the nut you won't get a big spark.
Undo the positve terminal first and accidentally touch the surrounding metal with the spanner can be very exciting.