Inogon or moire light

JohnMurrell

Visit site
So now you know where it is & to avoid dragging once anchored to it; to make sure that you hooked onto the pipeline safely. Would you stick to the CQR, or would you change over to the fishermans & would you use a tripping line? :unsure:

I suspect it may be too deep for the average small boat anchor to hook - having said that the telecoms cable to France across the beach at Seaford Head is not really buried - just a shallow grove in the chalk and held down with blobs of concrete. That would be easy to hook but not the place you should be anchoring in a small (or large boat) solid chalk bottom & dries out at low tide.

Normal underwater pipe / cable marking is normally a marker on the shore and for outfalls one at the outer end if it is shallow as well.

In terms of the crossing points small boat sailors have probably signed up to use them when they agreed to comply with the port bylaws by sailing in the limits of the Port of Southampton. Same as all the other regulations about speed limits, exclusion areas around moving ships and I think ships berthed at Fawley & the docks.

Jodel

Visit site
There are thousands of them at airports all over the world used to guide aircraft onto their parking stands.
Tom’s ‘really weird’ remark is because in non marine application the light is used to denote where you should be. Southampton is telling you where you shouldn’t be but the system can’t tell you if you are far enough away from the line. Shotley seem to have the right idea.

DFL1010

Visit site
"Southampton Water and it's approaches".

Oh dear.

Joking aside, looks to be a pretty useful little publication (and yes, I doubt many will use the zebra crossings).