Inland Boating in the UK - Guess where this is

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Went out on a job today and stopped off for a little walk with her indoors and Poppy at an Inland boating location in the UK...... Any of you able to Guess where it is. If you like inland this looks a lovely spot. Name of River and village required

Bouba

Visit site
Went out on a job today and stopped off for a little walk with her indoors and Poppy at an Inland boating location in the UK...... Any of you able to Guess where it is. If you like inland this looks a lovely spot. Name of River and village required

I don’t know where but it’s very beautiful. Was that guy in the white cap trying to steal your drone?

Gumpy

Visit site
Water Newton on the River Nene
Its the next lock down from Wansford in England where the Nene Vally Railway is.

ETA
It is a very beautiful river to have a boat on (as I have) it does have its downsides last winter it was in flood from October to March, I guess it will go into SSA (strong stream advice) in the next couple of days as I am off to the boat over the weekend.

Last edited:

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Water Newton on the River Nene
Its the next lock down from Wansford in England where the Nene Vally Railway is.

ETA
It is a very beautiful river to have a boat on (as I have) it does have its downsides last winter it was in flood from October to March, I guess it will go into SSA (strong stream advice) in the next couple of days as I am off to the boat over the weekend.

Spot on it is indeed Water Newton..... Very nice place indeed

Here is a video from further up at the Nene Vally Railway also taken today

Gumpy

Visit site
Excellent video, I have spent a few weekends on that pontoon when NVR has been running, it is a wonderful river.
we now live 250 miles away and the other day my wife suggested we moved the boat nearer to home, my only answer was why?

SimonA

Visit site
Thats very cheap even for the Nene, i assume its somewhere like PYC . I pay £1600 for a fully serviced 60ft marina mooring with floating pontoons which as you know reduces a lot if stress..

I'm at EBC, fantastic club and very cheap moorings. No luxuries like floating pontoons or electric though.

Gumpy

Visit site
I'm at EBC, fantastic club and very cheap moorings. No luxuries like floating pontoons or electric though.
Thats good.
Problem I have is that I live 250 miles away so need somewhere that I dont have to worry about when I am at home.
When I lived locally (Ringstead) and we had a cruiser at Willy Watt's it wasnt a problem as I could be there in 5 minutes, mind you it still used to sit on the bank on its trailer in the winter.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
May I ask
What software do you use for the 360 degree composites?
Do you fly manually or with Litchi?
Thanks

The 360 panos are taken in the DJI Fly app as an option in the Photo mode and I don't have to do anything it is automatic, then I upload them to Sky Pixel as a 360 Pano and that is the 'engine' that drives them for others to see.

The Pano here was taken with the DJI Mini 2 and because it is so new DJI have not yet released the SDK so Litchi does not support that drone yet. This is alos true of the Mavic Air 2.

Litchi does support many of the older DJI drones and I know it has Pano mode for drones that do not have it in their native App. I do use Litchi but I generally use DJI Go4 on my older drones and the DJI Fly app on newer ones

Hurricane

Visit site
DJI have had the 360 degree facility for a while.
Been available since the Mavic Pro but the Mavic Mini 1 doesn't have this facility.
Essentially, the drone takes lots of photos (IIRC 36).
Whilst taking the photos, it stays in the same place, tilts the gimbal up and down, and rotates itself round 360 degrees.
The drone then "stitches" the photos together in a form that you can only display properly with special software.
If you view the images with a normal photo viewer, you will get some very weird effects.
Sky Pixel has the ability to present the image as a 3D view that you can explore on a computer or mobile device.

I wanted to show my images on our marina forum so I used some Javascript on a web page.
The Javascript within the page also allows icons/labels and switching of views to create the kind of thing that you see these days when viewing boats for sale.

Here is a link to my 3D Virtual Tour of Sant Carles Marina.
The images were taken using my Mavic Pro.

SCMCHAT 3D Virtual Tour

The stitching isn't as good as the 360 pano the Bigplumbs did with his Mavic Mini 2 but they are still good enough for what I wanted.
I remember tidying them up a little in Photoshop which was a bit of a challenge!!!

TwoHooter

Visit site
Brilliant. I can't see the joins in the "home" view, more apparent in some of the other viewpoints.
The marina ought to be paying you commission!
Next trick: permanently tethered (silent) drone giving real-time views.....

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Hurricane.... I think the latest version of Litchi which now supports the Original mini has the ability for it to take pano. I will give it a try