Inflatable Raft: Safe on Bristol Channel?

penfold

Visit site
Hi,

I own an Intex Excursion 5 inflatable raft, 12 foot by 5.5 foot with a Bison 68lb outboard electric motor. I'd like to take it to the channel, and while it would be fantastic to cross over to Portishead, I am happy to skirt the coast Newport side (where I live). I have a 150N life jacket and I'm a strong swimmer.

Do you think it's safe for me to take such a boat on the channel on normal days (not choppy or exceptionally windy, etc) ? If so, should I stick to the coast, or can I venture a crossing?

I appreciate your advice.

Only if you want a guest appearance on Countryside 999 or Saving Lives At Sea.
Hi Dayboater
Just in case you have been completely put-off by the other replies - Cardiff Bay has a municipal (public) slip
and two yacht clubs with slips. You should be able to get afloat and "test the water" somehow. Wherever you go
on the bay there will be people who will give you a hand (and a few who will not.) Ignor the sniggers from a few.
Even if its a 'no-go' with your present Deflable you might find other ways of enjoying yourself on the water.

Doug Pingel Jekeeda2 Cardiff Bay YC
Inside the barrage is a reasonable proposition for the OP's vessel, although still not a good idea on a windy day.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Well done for seeking advice - a wise decision.

Aside from the suitability of the craft, the Bristol Channel is a very challenging piece of water, due to the extremely strong tides and their huge range, the presence of shipping, etc.

Please do not attempt it in any craft unless you understand tide flows, heights and wave formation; navigation; weather and weather information sources; and the rules which govern how vessels crossing one another's paths should behave in order to avoid collisions.

Do use your boat to get some experience, but please do so somewhere sheltered, preferably contained (e.g. small lake or slow moving shallow & narrow river), and where you are not at risk of being swept away by wind or tide/current.

I've crossed the Bristol Channel in a sea kayak, but in a group of experienced paddlers who supposedly knew what they were doing. But even then, an overestimate by the group leader of the speed we would make meant the tide had turned before we reached our intended destination, and we ended up coming ashore miles downstream from there. (And that was after something of a mutiny over-riding his intention to continue with the original plan, which would have resulted in us being out there all night, paddling against the tide and getting nowhere).

38mess

Visit site
On my regular trips around the Bristol channel I occasionally see sea kayaking on the calmer days, these guys are well equipped and I have seen them land on flatholm island, I haven't seen many inflatable dinghies out. It gets pretty choppy pretty quickly in certain areas, I wouldn't like to be caught in a wind over tide situation in a small rubber boat.