INEOS AC 2-0

Laser310

Visit site
It's a gate mark, so the VMG position would be the middle of the gate, which would correlate with VMG reducing as they get to the mark and turn away from the centre to either of the marks.

I think I have a definitive answer - VMG is wrt the wind.

see attached screenshots from the augmented reality feed - Prada Cup round Robins, Day 1, UK vs. USA

UK is leading at the top of the beat, nearly at the starboard layline, but still on port

They are probably sailing nearly 90deg from the center of the gate.., if it were 90, their VMG on the mark would be 0

but VMG is 25 and 28 kts in the shots - consistent with measuring VMG wrt the wind, and not consistent with a measurement wrt the gate.

note that the "speed" measurements displayed on the boats don't agree with those at the bottom of the screen.., but this is a minor issue

in the first shot the bottom of the screen gives speed=33.7 and VMG=25.6 - this corresponds to a TWA of about 40deg; Cos ^-1 (25.6/33.7)=40deg

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    799.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    804 KB · Views: 17

flaming

Visit site
I think I have a definitive answer - VMG is wrt the wind.

see attached screenshots from the augmented reality feed - Prada Cup round Robins, Day 1, UK vs. USA

UK is leading at the top of the beat, nearly at the starboard layline, but still on port

They are probably sailing nearly 90deg from the center of the gate.., if it were 90, their VMG on the mark would be 0

but VMG is 25 and 28 kts in the shots - consistent with measuring VMG wrt the wind, and not consistent with a measurement wrt the gate.

note that the "speed" measurements displayed on the boats don't agree with those at the bottom of the screen.., but this is a minor issue

in the first shot the bottom of the screen gives speed=33.7 and VMG=25.6 - this corresponds to a TWA of about 40deg; Cos ^-1 (25.6/33.7)=40deg
Ah, yep, I'll buy that! Thanks.

Laser310

Visit site
Forecast for the weekend is pretty good

13-18kts saturday, and 15-21kts sunday

previously i would have said that this favours INEOS, but Luna Rosa, supposedly a light air boat, looked okay in the breeze last time

140732288_2909540089324443_4168551887355016971_o.jpg

Bobc

Visit site
Please don’t shoot...
What is the meaning of the flashing green/red on the stern?
I think it's to show if there is a penalty. It flashes green normally, flashes red if the boat has a penalty, and green again once the penalty is served.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Reactions: FWB

Skellum

Visit site
Awesome race by Ben and the boys - nip and tuck all the way with 9 lead changes!!!

Interested to get the view of the experienced racers here on the P/S just before the finish.

Last edited:

dunedin

Visit site
Awesome race by Ben and the boys - nip and tuck all the way with 9 lead changes!!!

Interested to get the view of the experienced racers here on the P/S just before the finish.

Not seen video, but one of the reports suggested LR were deemed to be altering course in last gasp effort to try to force a penalty, INEOS given OK by umpires.

Well done Brittania team

Mudisox

Visit site
The wakes show it all. Umpires will be calling all the time, normally looking at the rudder but at these speeds, the wakes and aerial view show what's happening.

bedouin

Visit site
Not seen video, but one of the reports suggested LR were deemed to be altering course in last gasp effort to try to force a penalty, INEOS given OK by umpires.

Well done Brittania team
We didn't get a good angle on the live coverage but it did seem that LR altered course slightly - do the umpires have telemetry on the rudder settings? Even without that the boat heading data would show it

Bobc

Visit site
We didn't get a good angle on the live coverage but it did seem that LR altered course slightly - do the umpires have telemetry on the rudder settings? Even without that the boat heading data would show it
You could clearly see LR bear down after they called Stbd on Ineos. They knew they'd lost it anyway and were just rolling the dice.

dunedin

Visit site
Not bad with a fixed Cunningham!
The finals can't come quick enough now.

Just realised from the reports, we know the guy in the hot seat making the most of the mainsail power, in spite of the Cunningham problem. Bleddyn Mon. Bit of a step up from his Topper he used to sail (or not so much sail, as use as machine to defeat all opposition)!