INEOS AC 2-0

RJJ

Visit site
AAARRHH was going to watch it this evening. Spoiler!!!

Never mind ;-)

May I please ask that in future you put "spoiler alert" in the title and put the details in the main body. Thanks!!

matt1

Visit site
There's been much speculation that the team have known for a while what needed fixing. In his last interview before the race Ben was looking very tired, acknowledged they expected to be more competitive but said they still had work to do, especially in light airs.

I didn't realise the Italians were sharing the helming tack for tack. That sounds like a nightmare to me, especially at the starts!

flaming

Visit site
There's been much speculation that the team have known for a while what needed fixing. In his last interview before the race Ben was looking very tired, acknowledged they expected to be more competitive but said they still had work to do, especially in light airs.

I didn't realise the Italians were sharing the helming tack for tack. That sounds like a nightmare to me, especially at the starts!
Yeah, I don't like that approach.

Looking forward to watching the replays later! This is shaping up to be a very competitive challenger series.

RJJ

Visit site

I can see the advantages of having a helmsman and tactician where (1) both have equal experience helming the boat (2) have a feel for how the boat's performing in the day's conditions and configuration (3) can see along and out of both sides of the boat. Then you don't need to unsettle the boat by having people jumping around (which still needs a handover).

The pre-start sounds interesting. I wonder if Spithill just helms....it's not as though the boats are getting inches apart as in the days of IACC.

flaming

Visit site
This is a sailing forum. What are you discussing those ridiculous things for?
297.png

Dogone

Visit site
Fine, except I am not old. Even if I were, would these contraptions ever be conceived by the young as the future of yachting... Didn’t think so.

flaming

Visit site
If you're expecting the AC to be "the future of yachting" then you are somewhat misinformed. Look to the vendee for that.
Though the twin skin main I can see filtering down to at least multihulls in the not too distant future.

The AC is basically a willy waving contest between very rich men. It just happens to take place in boats, and for all that I was initially sceptical about the AC75s, they're coming close to winning me round as a fantastic spectacle.
They just need to fleet race them....

D

Deleted member 36384

I found the race to be exciting to watch and very interesting with the commentary describing the wind, best side of the course. etc. Seeing the boats, especially the main sail constantly adjusting was fascinating. Ineos looked very smooth on the tacks and they were flying a smaller jib than the Americans and sailing faster! Great stuff.

st599

Visit site
Any news on what cause LR to protest Ainslie? The blurry photo seems to show a Cunningham in use and possibly a sticker unsticking itself.

flaming

Visit site

siwhi

Visit site
Great results, and they seem in full control of the boat. Finger's crossed for when it gets light tomorrow.

I reckon a 10-15 mile round the harbour course over 24 hours (like a Le Mans 24hr race) would be good craic. Auckland, San Fran, Portsmouth / Solent, Sydney.

Bobc

Visit site
I did say before that you write Ben off at your peril.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall of the TNZ team meeting this evening.

snk

Visit site
Great to see Ineos have found some boat speed. 2 wins on day one!

I've been watching it on this Youtube link. First race with one minute to go is at 13mins 45 secs into the video. Impressive stuff. Ben had two good starts. The second at 1hr 14mins in the vid was spot on and took Inoes straight out to the breezier right hand side.

Dave100456

Visit site
Watched both races live via YouTube, luckily in a time zone where it’s live at 9 pm.
The coverage is great and I even had the stern camera live stream up from on board American Magic which allows you to hear their voices.
If I have one criticism of the overall race commentary it is that they talk over what Ben and the crew are saying but guess that’s their job!