Inconsiderate or just stupid.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Shore lines and short boats

While I subscribe to the thought that every boat should put lines ashore, it's not always the kindest thing for a 'guest' to do to a 'host'. The host is 36'. The guest is 28 feet. The guest's lines will be chafing against the host's topsides, bow and stern (or rudder) for the duration.

What's the yotiquette then?

G

Not on my top sides.

Fender socks are like the old Coir fenders they love to pick up dirt and little sharp stones and then deposit them with a vengeance into someone's top sides
The answer to the squeaky fenders is not to have over inflated small fenders but soft VERY VERY large fenders so that the movement between the hulls is allowed without movement of Fender on hull

Peter

G

May I add

Never berth, a boat smaller than yourself if you absolutely must swap her round to outside you .
Shorelines must always be put out on every vessel. This is not courtesy this is self preservation, never rely on someone else's lines to hold you in place.
Always be up and ready to let any inside boat out whatever the time and weather. Again this is self preservation, save you waking up halfway down to the rocks
However awful the boat inside or outside you is remember she is the owner's pride and joy, you can criticise his wife had never criticise his ship!
As an aside A properly tied up vessel outside for the night is a very good Fender against those midnight arrivals.
PS I agree with JJ always try who keep the two boats moving together saves wear and tear and squeaky fenders
P P S don't forget to try and keep the masts out of line, there is nothing more annoying than being woken up by a pair of masts colliding in the middle of night when it's raining.
Pp S S remember in a trot treat everybody as you would like to be treated.

Peter

david_steward

Visit site
Re: Motor Boats deserve courtesy too.

I posted a vitriolic rant hereabouts last year after a very trying time in Calais in the pouring rain. We were waved away by a British Cat then had our lines thrown off by a Belgian Yottie. We ended up three out alongside two very helpful German Yachts. Both the unwelcoming boats then had several large yachts rafted outside them shortly after.

We have a Fairline motor cruiser with the rubbing band a similar height to a 30 ' yacht. We have lots of fenders and always deploy shore lines.

We make an inviting target for yachts to raft to as we have straight sides and we are always helpful and never mind other boats rafting up to us. Some of our best evenings afloat have involved others in rafts and we have made some firm friends.

There is no excuse for being difficult about rafting if the outside boat has enough fenders, shorelines, ties up properly, and respects your vessel. Coming alongside is easier and likely to be more successful with a little help from the inside boat.

Sadly, as in all walks of life, some think that they are better than others, and that the normal rules and customs don't apply to them.

Glad thats off my chest.

Dave S