In mast furling - how to silence?

johnalison

Visit site
Marina staff are often reluctant to get involved in what amounts to a spat between two owners. I think the matter of halyards is a matter for boat owners, but a furling main is outside my pay grade. It is not a sound I can remember suffering from. I presume it is a matter of the metal core or whatever it is called rapping against the inside of its slot and could be very loud. The only success I can remember having against noise was when I told the office in St Peter Port that a powerboat was causing a nuisance from its loud pop music. They had a word with him and he spent the next couple of hours shouting insults down from his sky-bridge.

lustyd

Visit site
It's not really a spat, I've never met the owner as their boat only turned up a few weeks ago and they don't appear to ever actually go to it. So far it's been a polite request to the marina to ask the owner to get the noise sorted, which the marina ignored.

If you're curious about the sound, get someone near you to bang a large saucepan against a large frying pan once every 5 seconds for 10-12 hours and you'll be close enough.