Improve your drowning skills!

jezjez

Visit site
Improve your drowning skills!:
I'm not sure how many of you know your ressusitation guidelines. Try redcross.org.uk or even the bbc has a good interactive site.
I've just come across some very interesting information: The most recent copy of the DCA Bulletin quotes a source which says the Heinlich manouevre has been shown to significantly increase the likelihood of bringing a casualty around after ingesting water - water is obviously an obstruction.
Check the airway, listen/observe for breathing, if you get nothing intervene with back slaps, then the Heinlich manouevre, then begin mouth to mouth (5) and abdominal thrusts (5) to chest (nipple height), keep checking for improvement to casualty's breathing.
These are obviously basic bits of information. I thought I should share with you the real difference: that Heinlich has apparently been shown to save lives in drowning - apparently from 3% survival with ABCs alone to nearer 50% with H Manouevre as well. (!).
I don't want to get this info wrong - make sure you consult the first aid websites for clearest instructions on how to do CPR, but i thought it was worth passing on.