impossible boat market :-(

penfold

Visit site
Ha, ha, ha...

I didn't said that the site did work. Obviously no one manages the site; therefore you can find continues messages from potential buyers that nobody answers. It is somehow hilarious reading same message different people and no answers from the seller, because there are no sellers on that site.

However their listing are pretty accurate… better than google alone. I took me 3 years to find my boat. With google I could forget about it always late on their listings. However I found the relevant add on the net through Boats-from.co.uk

Now is up to you what you want to believe. That is my experience. I am just saying that site can be a useful tool for searching.

In regards of the “chinese” or the "not specified" on their listings, I haven’t got a clue.
It's just an automatic aggregation site; as you observe there's probably no-one controlling it and the vendors may well have no idea their ad has been copyed and reposted for the express purpose of attracting clicks. There seem to be an increasing number of such things clogging up the arteries of teh internetz.

mattnj

www.red-data.co.uk
Hmmm. I only saw 'solid suggestions of 30%' for next year. How the poster extrapolates current inflation of 5.5% to 30 % is beyond me and I'm sure most economic commentators.

Just pointing out that yet again there is a lot of rubbish on this forum.

Now let's get back to the impossible boat market debate, shall we?

Ink
I totally agree this forum is full of a lot of rubbish....but for reference...I bought a Sun Odyssey 40 in 2014 for £45k and it sold this year for £59,500! That must be near 30% more.. Just crazyness, but I wasn't complaining. I still can't quite believe that happened.

lustyd

Visit site
in 2014 for £45k and it sold this year for £59,500!
Which would be awesome except that your 2021 £59,500 is probably only worth £30k in 2014 in terms of buying power :eek: If second hand car prices are appreciating you know the economy is in for a rough ride

roblpm

Visit site
Which would be awesome except that your 2021 £59,500 is probably only worth £30k in 2014 in terms of buying power :eek: If second hand car prices are appreciating you know the economy is in for a rough ride

So according to HL inflation calculator here: Inflation calculator

£45,000 in 2014 is £55,000 now.

So you have made money (if you apply man maths. I assume you spent 10s of thousands on upgrades?!).

Was this in the UK? I wonder if boats in the EU are seeing this. More supply? Not stuck on our tiny island with no manufacturers.

mattnj

www.red-data.co.uk
So according to HL inflation calculator here: Inflation calculator

£45,000 in 2014 is £55,000 now.

So you have made money (if you apply man maths. I assume you spent 10s of thousands on upgrades?!).

Was this in the UK? I wonder if boats in the EU are seeing this. More supply? Not stuck on our tiny island with no manufacturers.

I didn't overthink it that much....was just an example of the market. No major upgrades (same sails, engine, rig, unholstery) had a new plotter and some davits added that was about it. Yes in UK

Wing Mark

Visit site
Seems to me the value of any boat is uncertain by quite a few %.
A buyer who finds exactly what he wants may pay more than what others would call a fair price.
I think the covid issue has made more people want a boat or a camper van.
So the used values of both have been boosted.

We won't know the value of anything in 2023 until we get there.

A year ago, some used bicycles went up in value due to shortages and people's sudden urge to exercise and do outdoor activity. Now I am seeing more choice and some bikes sticking on the market at prices where they would have been snapped up last December.

I think the boat I'm going to buy changed hands at a significantly lower price a few years ago, Maybe I'm going to be paying over the odds, but so be it. I might lose a chunk if I sell in a few years, but I don't believe in buying toys with money you need to recoup. I think it's possible that political uncertainty depressed values a few years ago to some extent, and the seller was 'keen to sell' at that time.
Time of year can make a difference too.

Yes I think inflation is 'out there'.
OTOH, I think the future is uncertain, some people might have significantly less spending money in a few years.

Visit site
Isn't that alleged to be a lack of chips, so new cars have a waiting list?

Visit site
If inflation rises, so will interest rates and that will worry borrowers with mortgages. There might follow a melt down in the housing market and a recession of some sort will follow. As they used to say in China, "May you live in interesting times",

doug748

Visit site

I think the boat I'm going to buy changed hands at a significantly lower price a few years ago, Maybe I'm going to be paying over the odds, but so be it. I might lose a chunk if I sell in a few years, but I don't believe in buying toys with money you need to recoup. I think it's possible that political uncertainty depressed values a few years ago to some extent, and the seller was 'keen to sell' at that time.............

Indeed. People worry too much about a few grand here or there. Compared to running costs, which many people in the South will expect to be c 10k per annum, even a 20% premium on a secondhand boat is small beer.

syvictoria

Visit site
Indeed. People worry too much about a few grand here or there. Compared to running costs, which many people in the South will expect to be c 10k per annum, even a 20% premium on a secondhand boat is small beer.

So, a £30,000 boat becomes a £36,000 boat. Hardly 'small beer'? Well at least not for most of the population anyway...

Stemar

Visit site
As they used to say in China, "May you live in interesting times",
I rather think that interesting times are a given. Far too many chamber pots heading for fans at the same time, JIT doesn't work for climate change, at least not with politicians with their eyes on the next election and an electorate that won't tolerate any major change in their lifestyles, and lacks resilience when things get rocky in supply chains.

doug748

Visit site
So, a £30,000 boat becomes a £36,000 boat. Hardly 'small beer'? Well at least not for most of the population anyway...

It is small beer in the context of 10k pa annum running costs and the sort of cash rich folk who tend to consider buying a boat. If an extra 6k is such a disaster that you put things off for years, you have to question the wisdom of boat ownership at that level.
At the bottom of the market a 3k boat becomes £3,600.

syvictoria

Visit site
It is small beer in the context of 10k pa annum running costs and the sort of cash rich folk who tend to consider buying a boat. If an extra 6k is such a disaster that you put things off for years, you have to question the wisdom of boat ownership at that level.
At the bottom of the market a 3k boat becomes £3,600.

Yes, and at the bottom of the market, that £600 likely means even more to said individual. It's no wonder that sailing generally has a the reputation of being for elitists and rich folk in this country, whilst it's 'the norm' in other counties. It's not for lack of coast in the UK either!

And still, £6k is 60% of £10k - hardly small beer! If someone can afford to dismiss/lose £6k so easily, they will surely almost certainly be buying more than a £30k boat!

doug748

Visit site
Yes, and at the bottom of the market, that £600 likely means even more to said individual. It's no wonder that sailing generally has a the reputation of being for elitists and rich folk in this country, whilst it's 'the norm' in other counties. It's not for lack of coast in the UK either!

And still, £6k is 60% of £10k - hardly small beer! If someone can afford to dismiss/lose £6k so easily, they will surely almost certainly be buying more than a £30k boat!

No hand wringing please. We know. It's a shame.

However some folk are suggesting putting their life on hold for the want of 6 grand, what realists do is accept that they can't afford the boat they would like and adjust their expectations.

Some of the ditherers can least afford blank sailing seasons, see my post 41

Wing Mark

Visit site
Large numbers of not-particularly-wealthy people blow that kind of money on fairly dull cars every couple of years.

I'm looking at spending between 10 and 20k on a small boat for coastal weekend cruising.
I could spend that on upgrading my car and the neighbours might not even notice.
We could blow that money (and a lot more) on a new kitchen which will be tatty and out of fashion in 10 years.
Enjoy it while we can.

Bobc

Visit site
Don't forget that GRP is made of oil, which has gone from $20/barrel to $80/barrel this year, so 400% increase.

Same for all plastic goods. Input costs are going through the roof.

Tranona

Visit site
No hand wringing please. We know. It's a shame.

However some folk are suggesting putting their life on hold for the want of 6 grand, what realists do is accept that they can't afford the boat they would like and adjust their expectations.

Some of the ditherers can least afford blank sailing seasons, see my post 41
Exactly. A boat is a discretionary purchase and different from many other consumer "durables" in that most need further expenditure before they can be used and particularly at the lower end the initial purchase is only part of the overall cost. Can be likened to the entry fee for a lifetime of expenditure for which the reward is the pleasure of owning and using the boat.

I suspect too many people get fixated on the purchase price of a specific boat rather than seeing it in the context of the overall budget and there is often a trade off between the initial cost and the subsequent cost of refurbishment before a boat can be used. This is particularly important if age means years of sailing are limited and paying more for a more usable boat might be a good idea - or revising ones expectations as to the type or size of boat within the available budget.

However, individual motivations vary and we get our reward in different ways. Equally time horizons vary and some seek instant gratification in just sailing a boat and others take a longer view where working on a boat is as rewarding as sailing.